Jul 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
too wordy too long. never made it past #1

Unfortunately, I agree. I made it to #4 but didn't listen to that & closed it out. Hey Garagesaleaddict, no offense intended. Just put my two cents worth in so maybe it might be helpful in future postings of this type.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I listened to most of it and no offense meant but,one problem is not everybody likes having their butt kissed,i know i'm one of them:laughing7:

OP
OP
G

garagesaleaddict

Jul 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's not really kissing butt, its networking. Sometimes you need to be nice in order to do that.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm, if its in a garage sale its all negotiable. But no one likes a low ball. Im not sure any of this would work except on a lil kid. Good luck.

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
I watched, errrrr..... listened to (as there really wasn't anything to look at), the whole thing. This isn't about things to "do" at garage sales nor is it about networking. It is about negotiating which, for typical yard sale items, is an extremely simple process that doesn't require a 6 minute video to explain. Are you sure, garagesaleaddict, your post isn't about driving traffic to your YouTube channel and website?

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I had this ol lazyboy recliner, a really comfortable chair. I put a fair price on it. Lady calls and ask me to deliver as she has no truck. I get there, and see she is a elderly woman by herself living at a motel for old folks. I get the chair upstairs (second floor) in her apartment and she tells me, I dont have any money..........I was thinking he forget to mention what to do when this happens. What would you do?

I had made a good chunk of change last week selling some old stuff that I had placed on the patio. It gets a lot of sun and wnd out there so I dont let stuff set there very long. I take as much stuff to the restore as I do sell. Once outside it gets a 3 day shelf life lol. You dont want bugs, dust, and pine needles all over something. Plus temps are 100' degrees, that is no good for anything except a rock. This played a part of what I did.

Now mom and grandma has passed. The lady was sincere about paying she had helped a friend before I got there. The apartment was bare, and my old chair looked really good in her apartment. I remember what I went through with my mom before she passed and help was hard to come by. At that point I couldn't take her money. I have so much while others dont. I told her to pay it forward. My wife who was mad I dropped the price heart broke and understood exactly why I cut my loss.

Life is not a buisness transaction and how to get over on your fellow man. Folks having yard sales usually have fell on bad times. I dont take advantage of others misery. There is a great amount of money to be made selling gently used stuff. I prefer to make donations to my community. I have bought a dozen storage units just to put a free sign on all of it after I made $100 to cover expenses. If you try this stuff here with adults I can say it dont work. You'll have some old guy like me raising the price each time you made a offer lol.

Anyway, I wish the op good luck as he is at least working, so many his age have not taken personal responsibility. Good for him.

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Casca. Whenever possible I donate part of my treasure hunting profits to charity. I've been both fortunate to be financially secure and lucky in my picking.

wotdlois

Aug 12, 2014
NJ
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmmm, if its in a garage sale its all negotiable. But no one likes a low ball. Im not sure any of this would work except on a lil kid. Good luck.

Thats funny you mentioned that as i was at a sale this past weekend and there was a mother and a lil kid selling his nintendo ds with 19 games. They wanted 40 for everything and i offered them $20, the mom looked at the little kid and she said "what do you think", he looked at me and said, "ok". Not sure he had it in him to start negotiating price with me.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats funny you mentioned that as i was at a sale this past weekend and there was a mother and a lil kid selling his nintendo ds with 19 games. They wanted 40 for everything and i offered them $20, the mom looked at the little kid and she said "what do you think", he looked at me and said, "ok". Not sure he had it in him to start negotiating price with me.
That's funny because I had a similar but opposite situation happen to me at a garage sale with a Playstation II and 8-10 games. The mom (having the sale) asked her 10-12 year old boy how much he wanted for the whole lot, he said how about $10. I told him I'll give you $20 for it because it's worth more than $10. That made his day as evidenced by the big smile on his face.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's funny because I had a similar but opposite situation happen to me at a garage sale with a Playstation II and 8-10 games. The mom (having the sale) asked her 10-12 year old boy how much he wanted for the whole lot, he said how about $10. I told him I'll give you $20 for it because it's worth more than $10. That made his day as evidenced by the big smile on his face.

Nice job. That creates good karma. If I have to skin someone to make a profit, I'll pass. Pigs get fed, hogs get slaughtered, and trying to make a good deal a great deal can cost you the deal.

And as a seller in person, I'm the guy whose prices are firm. I MAY go down a few bucks to help someone save face so they can claim they got a better deal, but most of the time I've priced the thing to be a good fair deal and if you want a great deal at my expense, you just wasted the gasoline you used getting here.

Once I was selling a kayak, and the person looking at it would not stop trying to get my price down, kept working me and I kept saying no because it was already a good deal. Another person showed up, waited a polite amount, then handed me my asking price. First person was in shock "but we were making a deal!!" No, we weren't. You were jacking me around, trying to get over on me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread