.25 cents brings in $127.38

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hit a local thrift store and found a Yellow 1971 Hot Wheels Olds 442 redline for .25 cents. It had chipped paint and was missing the spoiler. The lowest priced one on the "sold listings" went for $197.00 and it was in way better shape, so I threw mine on at $50.00. It got bids on the first day of a 7 day listing going right up to $99.08. No more bids until the final day when it hit $112.00, final 10 seconds jumped to $127.38.

Attachments

• YellowOlds2.jpg
    YellowOlds2.jpg
    447.5 KB · Views: 200

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
I hit a local thrift store and found a Yellow 1971 Hot Wheels Olds 442 redline for .25 cents. It had chipped paint and was missing the spoiler. The lowest priced one on the "sold listings" went for $197.00 and it was in way better shape, so I threw mine on at $50.00. It got bids on the first day of a 7 day listing going right up to $99.08. No more bids until the final day when it hit $112.00, final 10 seconds jumped to $127.38.
Wow. what a great buy. That will get us all looking for the redlines.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love it when that happens. I was 15 years old when that car was made. I had match box & dinky cars, but no longer had the interest in those kind of things by the time the hotwheels came out. Hell me and my buddies were taking moms station wagon out when my folks went away for the weekend by that time. I see those hotwheels out there but ever time I look them up on the smart phone there nothing worth allot. I'll need to keep my eye out for the old ones. Good job on that deal. I do like that color on that car:icon_thumleft:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
outstanding.gif
Nice buy and running out to the thrift shop - and looking for a Yellow 1971 Hot Wheels Olds 442! Thanks for sharing...

Justice70

Oct 18, 2008
michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Whites Prizm iv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug up an old redline once but it is pretty toasted. Nice pick up.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent score! Thanks for sharing. (Now I know one more thing to look for in the toy section of the my TS.)

OP
OP
Q

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! What's the difference between a redline and a regular, ol' Hotwheels?
Look at the wheels...they have a red line(circle) going around them. Be careful though as Hot Wheels put out a retro-series that are exact to the original. The only way to tell is to check the bottom. Not all redlines are worth this much, depends on the model and most importantly: the color.
I just found another redline at the same store and it is a $2.00 car on a good day. Look for older Matchbox or off brands as well. I picked up a KidCo Nissan turbo Z "lock-up" with no key for .25 and it is going for around $8.00. Pretty much if it is old and cheap enough....take a chance!

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
I was at an estate sale and they had a box of redlines, however do to my lack of knowledge I was not going to start plopping down $20 a car. I am sure anyone with knowledge cherry picked the winners already.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug through a pile of old cars today looking for redlines, but no luck! I got a redline camaro once, but that's it. Nice score!!!!!

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. what a great buy. That will get us all looking for the redlines.

Great score!

Do your homework before buying Redlines as there are new ones that look old that don't have any or much value ($5 maybe) & many many many Redlines don't have over a $20 value, many are only worth $10ish. People pay premiums at local auctions around here for them (usually more than eBay prices). The one in this post is one to watch for or about any hot pink old Redline as they were not desirable way back when so not many were made & the ones that were made were often destroyed by kids playing with them. There are numerous ones that have extreme value & condition means the world with these tho people do restore them. I know 3 big time collectors of Redlines & they are passionate about their Redlines. Also note that some cars look nearly identical to other cars & one might be worth $25 & the other one is worth $400.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Q

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Purple is another big color to look for. Years ago I bought a purple Boss Hoss redline, again with the paint chipped quite a bit for $3.00, eBayed it and got $73.00. I found a redline blue The Demon yesterday for .25 cents, checked eBay and it is going for less than $5.00. I always scroll through the "sold listings" to find out what is hot at the moment, but, if cheap enough I'll buy any I find.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Purple is another big color to look for. Years ago I bought a purple Boss Hoss redline, again with the paint chipped quite a bit for $3.00, eBayed it and got $73.00. I found a redline blue The Demon yesterday for .25 cents, checked eBay and it is going for less than $5.00. I always scroll through the "sold listings" to find out what is hot at the moment, but, if cheap enough I'll buy any I find.

I'd say 25 cents is cheap enough regardless if its only worth maybe $5 right now. Buying at that price is always well worth it IMO. I could resell junker lots (that I only had 25 cents each in) at local auctions and do very well on them!

Last edited:

Chris680

Greenie
Jul 15, 2014
Florida
Primary Interest:
Other

Ok. Catching up on reading about garage sale finds. Came across this one on Hot Wheels so went and looked at my husband's Hot Wheels from childhood. I am hoping/guessing these are worth something.

Attachments

• image-460600966.jpg
    image-460600966.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 80
  • image-3182506660.jpg
    image-3182506660.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 68

Punatic

Feb 25, 2014
norcal
Primary Interest:
Other
There are some descent cars there but they look a little beat up, condition makes a huge impact on value. If you want to sell PM me, I would be interested!

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at the wheels...they have a red line(circle) going around them. Be careful though as Hot Wheels put out a retro-series that are exact to the original. The only way to tell is to check the bottom. Not all redlines are worth this much, depends on the model and most importantly: the color.
I just found another redline at the same store and it is a $2.00 car on a good day. Look for older Matchbox or off brands as well. I picked up a KidCo Nissan turbo Z "lock-up" with no key for .25 and it is going for around $8.00. Pretty much if it is old and cheap enough....take a chance!

what are you checking the bottom for?

OP
OP
Q

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
YellowOlds7.jpg The originals should have a bottom that looks like this picture. The retro or vintage should have the newer hot wheel logo or say retro. If you do a search for hotwheels redline retro series you can see a pic of those bottoms. I don't currently have any myself.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions