May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this is everyone's dream. Good for him and thanks for sharing.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool story! That's what it is all about for us, finding that one incredible treasure!! Keep searching people and good luck!

Eagle101

Jul 22, 2012
New England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Gold,
Garrett AT Pro. Makro racer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It gave me goosebumps watching it.

That's why I'm up and out of the house early every Saturday and Sunday because you never know what your going to find. That could be one of us someday.

Thanks for posting the video.

Bergheimhunter

May 8, 2014
Bergheim , TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. Bawling my head off. (And running to take a closer look at that woven rug I purchased at a garage sale a few years back!!!!!)

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to see when things happen like that😊

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when it hits $800K you can see him saying something to his wife... lip reading would suggest he said "Oh my F'ing god" & it went almost twice as high as what it was when he said that.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great story, but the more i think about it, why wasn't he working?

Just because he's missing a leg? I don't want to rain on a heart warming story, but there are plenty of jobs out there for amputees, I know 3 personally that are working. No big deal.

I wish him the best, But it makes me wonder if he can hold on to the money.

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a great story and I'm happy for this guy. I just hope he doesn't get carried away by the final sales price. He said he had never owned a home and wanted to buy a house. He also said he was behind on some bills. Between the commission to the auction house and taxes, I'm guessing he will lose at least half (and maybe considerably more - what does a high-end auction house charge in commission?) of the $1.5 million right off the top. If he loses half to commission and taxes, that will leave him with $750,000. He could easily drop half of that on a house which would leave him less that $400K to live on. That's not chump change but he better not start living large or he will find himself back where he started in pretty short order.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's so wonderful...:'( Great Story!

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
great story, but the more i think about it, why wasn't he working?

Just because he's missing a leg? I don't want to rain on a heart warming story, but there are plenty of jobs out there for amputees, I know 3 personally that are working. No big deal.

I wish him the best, But it makes me wonder if he can hold on to the money.

Its not up to you to judge him or anyone in that regard.

This didnt cost the "taxpayer" any money so why even say something like this?

I wish there was a "dislike button" for posts like this...

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

We also have no idea of the whole backstory so anyone saying anything is assuming or speculating be it positive or negative. Jersey there is an unlike button but it doesn't appear till AFTER you hit the like tab first...lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great story and I'm happy for this guy. I just hope he doesn't get carried away by the final sales price. He said he had never owned a home and wanted to buy a house. He also said he was behind on some bills. Between the commission to the auction house and taxes, I'm guessing he will lose at least half (and maybe considerably more - what does a high-end auction house charge in commission?) of the $1.5 million right off the top. If he loses half to commission and taxes, that will leave him with $750,000. He could easily drop half of that on a house which would leave him less that $400K to live on. That's not chump change but he better not start living large or he will find himself back where he started in pretty short order.

The commission was probably somewhat low as the higher the price the lower the commission goes (at least at a place like Christie's it does). On that price a 15% commission would be OK for the seller & great for the auction house anything over that on 1.5 million is crazy! When it's all said & done they family will be lucky to see 1 million & probably slightly less than that is the reality.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Touching story.

What drives me crazy about the Antiques Roadshow is I would walk by 80% of the items they show if I was at a yard sale, thrift store, or estate sale. Many of those items like that blanket would never jump out at me.

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Touching story.

What drives me crazy about the Antiques Roadshow is I would walk by 80% of the items they show if I was at a yard sale, thrift store, or estate sale. Many of those items like that blanket would never jump out at me.

That's part of why those items have the greatest value. If an item is easy for everyone & their brother to pick out or spot (like gold & jewelry) then that would mean it's a well known item & if its well known item then it isn't going to be tremendously valuable because it isn't going to be rare. Things that look like trash & thus end up in the trash a lot over the years is what makes the ones that didn't get thrown away or destroyed have the value they have. Local auctions have taught me more things to watch for than I can possibly remember & I haven't seen in person 1/100th of the items out there that have extreme value. So many items you need to be almost an expert on if you want to really know what your dealing with.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't mean to judge anyone, and I apologize if I upset you or any one else, I just wondered why he wasn't working.

Great story, and I wish him the best.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread