A KING CAN DO NO WRONG....

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.....unless he runs into an ace!!

Need your help with a deck of playing cards (of all things).

Too unique to pass up, and if all else fails I paid less than I would have for a deck at a store.

I've done fairly well in the past selling complete decks of cards on eBay. Particularly ones with the box and unique images on the front.

This set seems "different" to me (the stamp on the reverse of the pack is new to me).

I'm not finding much for the LEWIS & DALIN, INC. company or the LEDA brand.

Attachments

• image-1136829141.jpg
    image-1136829141.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 111
  • image-737140826.jpg
    image-737140826.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 108
  • image-232866231.jpg
    image-232866231.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 116
  • image-2808866451.jpg
    image-2808866451.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 116
  • image-1983934782.jpg
    image-1983934782.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 126

Lafitte Deux

Jan 19, 2012
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The stamp is an IRS tax stamp. That style was used from about 1940 to 1965.
The red lines and initials were a "pre-cancel" mark applied by the card company when they stamped the packs.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the "LEDA" brand is just short for LEwis & DAlin. I'm certain you have a rare deck of cards. However, rarity does not always equal high dollar amounts, if you know what I mean. I guess you will find out when you list them what the demand will be. I like them. Very patriotic looking WW2 era deck of cards. I would play that card if I were you, pun intended.:thumbsup:

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
In the stamp collecting world, the tax stamp is referred to as a 'revenue stamp.' At one time, revenue stamps were very collectible and highly sought by some collectors, with high resale values on some issues.

I believe that you have what is called a 'pre-cancelled' stamp, since it has the red cancellation on the face.

If I'm not mistaken, the company that was printing the cards would have purchased sheets of these stamps, and since the tax revenue was already paid (noted by the red pre-cancel), they would affix the stamp to the package before it was sent to the retailer. The consumer would walk in, plunk down the cost of the cards, and would have, in essence, already paid for the special federal tax, which would have been included in the final cost, much like cigarettes are sold today.

OP
OP
mjm579

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the "LEDA" brand is just short for LEwis & DAlin. I'm certain you have a rare deck of cards. However, rarity does not always equal high dollar amounts, if you know what I mean. I guess you will find out when you list them what the demand will be. I like them. Very patriotic looking WW2 era deck of cards. I would play that card if I were you, pun intended.:thumbsup:
Thank you very much. Any suggestions for item title?

OP
OP
mjm579

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the stamp collecting world, the tax stamp is referred to as a 'revenue stamp.' At one time, revenue stamps were very collectible and highly sought by some collectors, with high resale values on some issues. I believe that you have what is called a 'pre-cancelled' stamp, since it has the red cancellation on the face. If I'm not mistaken, the company that was printing the cards would have purchased sheets of these stamps, and since the tax revenue was already paid (noted by the red pre-cancel), they would affix the stamp to the package before it was sent to the retailer. The consumer would walk in, plunk down the cost of the cards, and would have, in essence, already paid for the special federal tax, which would have been included in the final cost, much like cigarettes are sold today.
Thanks for the additional information. Now I'm wondering what has more value - stamp, cards,???

OP
OP
mjm579

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the stamp collecting world, the tax stamp is referred to as a 'revenue stamp.' At one time, revenue stamps were very collectible and highly sought by some collectors, with high resale values on some issues. I believe that you have what is called a 'pre-cancelled' stamp, since it has the red cancellation on the face. If I'm not mistaken, the company that was printing the cards would have purchased sheets of these stamps, and since the tax revenue was already paid (noted by the red pre-cancel), they would affix the stamp to the package before it was sent to the retailer. The consumer would walk in, plunk down the cost of the cards, and would have, in essence, already paid for the special federal tax, which would have been included in the final cost, much like cigarettes are sold today.
I forgot to mention - I didn't dare open the pack of cards.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much. Any suggestions for item title?
Not an exact title but you need to incorporate the Lumber company as well as the WW2 era and the sealed unbroken tax stamp into it also. I think they will sell very well being sealed and having that calendar in it to date them to a specific year. I'd start at $49.99 myself.
Here are two single cards that sold with the identical eagle but advertising for beer instead, probably just a one-off but worth mentioning anyway- 1940s WWII Era Drewrys Beer and Ale Military Servicemen 2 Two Playing Card Set | eBay

Last edited:
OP
OP
mjm579

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not an exact title but you need to incorporate the Lumber company as well as the WW2 era and the sealed unbroken tax stamp into it also. I think they will sell very well being sealed and having that calendar in it to date them to a specific year. I'd start at $49.99 myself. Here are two single cards that sold with the identical eagle but advertising for beer instead, probably just a one-off but worth mentioning anyway- 1940s WWII Era Drewrys Beer and Ale Military Servicemen 2 Two Playing Card Set | eBay

I listed as - RARE Sealed Precancelled REVENUE Stamp WWII WW2 1945 Playing Card Deck LUMBER

I'm sure the $99.99 starting bid a WAY too ambitious of me, but if they don't sell I can always relist at a lower opening bid.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Not much, by the looks of it on completed listings.

I am certainly no expert...I just wanted you to make sure it wasn't a high end and valuable stamp before you sold them. The stamp market is very soft. There was a time, before ebay, that you couldn't even find rev stamps, unless you went to a major philatelic show.

OP
OP
mjm579

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not much, by the looks of it on completed listings. I am certainly no expert...I just wanted you to make sure it wasn't a high end and valuable stamp before you sold them. The stamp market is very soft. There was a time, before ebay, that you couldn't even find rev stamps, unless you went to a major philatelic show.
Thx again for the info. I'll have to see how the first listing pass makes out. Wish me luck ;)

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck!! Keep us updated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread