Silverplated flatware at the thrift store.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stop by my favorite spot I like to go to here in town. They had three sets of flatware. One was plated they were asking $149 for. The second one was plated they were asking $129 for it. It look like it was made last year in China and it was horrible condition. The third set was only a partial and it was $79 but half off.. So I ended up buying the set for $35. I'm sitting in traffic but if I recall correctly there are four Sterling handled knives. Five Sterling Silver salad forks. Eight Sterling silver spoons all various sizes. And a sterling silver Butterknife! The sleeve that they were all in says right on the side of it Statehouse Sterling!

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image-2663199658.jpg image-2535290396.jpg

image-896982828.jpg

Last edited:

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet! My local Goodwills are much better at grabbing Sterling before they put it on the shelves…but I did score a pair of weighted candle holders for $1.99 each. The manager had to have been at lunch when the crew priced those!

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great score! Whatever happened to that thrift store where you used to score the gold and silver jewelry?

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great score! Whatever happened to that thrift store where you used to score the gold and silver jewelry?

Don't tell, but I work for them now part time... A lot of it I do not post on here any more... I like to keep it unknown as to why I buy it from them. Although they know I resell so I get all the gold anyways but I think with prices down even I'm going to have to send some in the refinery because I'm running out of cash.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Scoop!! Way to go!!

Today, I heard a story.... It seems that one of the dealers that runs estate sales took silver to a place she been selling to for many years. The dealer said that the buyers are now taking not just sterling spoons, but anything sterling.... Then, she said they are even taking silver plate and stainless. I didn't get to the details of what she was paid, but it really struck me odd.

When gold was going to its peak, I remember some pawn shops were buying "Gold Filled" jewelry. I can see how gold filled would mount up, to some degree. But, unless the buyer is actually buying the brass or copper, underneath the silver plate, I can't understand why they would be buying Silver Plated anything. I'd even read where copper and brass were expected to go lower, following the silver and gold trends.

Are you or other members seeing trends of what buyers are speculating on?

Thanks,
Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions