Safe cracker

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just came to salvation army and there was a guy donating things. He cleans out houses and had two large safes. Supposedly he did not want to pay to have them open so he was going to donate them here so anyways long story short I don't know anything about the guy but I have his two safes in the back my car. I guess I didn't think it's over too well because I probably should've got some information from him as well but I guess worst case scenario if he did leave his name phone number and address the Salvation Army so they're probably good.

Now the main question is how to get them open?

image-4089360443.jpg

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will need to do what he didn't want to do, hire a locksmith/safe expert to open them. If it were a simple matter they wouldn't be called safes. If you don't mind destroying them, they look like cheap smaller safes and you may be able to peel them open with a pneumatic chisel like they use in muffler shops. Torches will likely destroy any contents. The usual easiest place to cut such safes is the bottom which usually is the thinnest.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If that is a key hole next to the handle I would probably drill through that first. Then see if you can have a look around. If large items you might need an angle grinder and massonary bit to go through the wall. Or an acetylene torch if you have access to one. But probably easiest place to drill is around the key hole or dial.

Last edited:

ecoast

Sep 12, 2013
The Highlands of NW NJ
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, V3i, DeepTech Vista SMART, ATP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
angle grinder with cut-off discs

plasma cutter if you're in a hurry

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have better pic cause I just open one that likes like the black one it takes about 5 mins but the safe is no good after it open

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have better pic cause I just open one that likes like the black one it takes about 5 mins but the safe is no good after it open
assuming you're looking just to get the content out and not going to reuse them

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the first I might be able to help you with this not the exact same model that I opened but I'm sure it has the same concept as tumblers go the second one I am no help at all when I get off of work I'll take pictures of the one I opened the try to explain it the how to do it all your all you'll need is a hammer and a screwdriver

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the first I might be able to help you with this not the exact same model that I opened but I'm sure it has the same concept as tumblers go the second one I am no help at all when I get off of work I'll take pictures of the one I opened the try to explain it the how to do it all your all you'll need is a hammer and a screwdriver
or you can try it this way if you want to try to save the safe hope I got the link right

Jublain

Oct 16, 2013
Des Arc, AR
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you aren't trying to save the safes a sledge hammer will bust them open.

leadnbrass

Apr 2, 2005
Shenandoah Valley VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cold chisel and sledge on the area of the hing and pin. Had the exact Sentry safe on a apartment clean out last month. Took 2-3 hits and popped right open. A lot of times just dropping it hinge side onto the ground will get the door open but you risk the possibility of ruining the contents.

Pa_Dirtfisher

Sep 28, 2014
Mercer County
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Safari. Whites TRX pin pointer and Deteknix pin pointer, Lesche digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can take a angle grinder and grind the edge or corners of the box on 3 sides and it should peel open like a sardine can or grind all 4 edges on 1 panel and just pull it off. It shouldn't take much longer then 10 minutes to open the safe but it will destroy it in the process. After seeing how cheaply most gun safes are made it was the main reason I built my own out of 1/2 plate and reinforced all edges with 1/4 angle iron on top of that.

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some pictures of the safe that I got into it takes about 3 to 5 minutes to do the first thing is to try to get the dial off and there should be a metal shaft behind at that holds the dial once you do that take a screwdriver as shown in the picture and hit it a few good times with the hammer you will move the tumblers behind the dial you should be able to use the handle to open the safe without cutting the hedges

Attachments

• image-2457646085.jpg
    image-2457646085.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 118

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought an old safe at a yard sale a few months ago. 10 bucks. Nice heavy old safe with no key. Door was not locked and couldn't be locked without the key. Brought it by a locksmith and he wanted 50 bucks to rekey the safe. Ended up selling the safe to him for 15. Never again!

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I was at a yard sale, and one of the participants had a picture of an Antique safe with the word, "Free for pick up." I asked about it and she said, if you want it get some friends and come and get it. The safe was on wheels, so I got my parents van with a wheel chair ramp. Rolled the safe down the drive way and right into the car. It came with the combination, it works and it makes a fabulous end table in my living room.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Empty!!

image-1513097647.jpg

But I took this time to play with a new toy. so we'll see how first poor goes ever. Probably will be bad I'm sure!

image-307260758.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread