Help with Identifying Fraternal or Collegiate pitcher?

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This pitcher is driving me crazy. I went to a local sale and picked up this pitcher by the National Art China Co. Trenton NJ. When I first started searching I found some information that told about the company and I believe they went out of business in 1911. However, since I found that I can no longer even locate that page. And yes, I cleared out my history because I thought it would help my internet run faster.

I can find that it appears they manufactured fraternal and collegiate mugs. I've spent a couple hours trying to find this Guy on a flying carpet. Its about 12'' tall. There are some letters but I think I am interpreting them incorrectly because I have not found anything close.

IMG_7446.JPG IMG_7450.JPG IMG_7445.JPG

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My thought is it is a knights of columbus sub group.

Very doubtful. Knights of Columbus is a Catholic organization. They wouldn't have those symbols of magic on their stuff. Now a Shriner group I could see.

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've searched for a while. I can't find anything myself. I like the pitcher and it is a bonifide antique. I see the letters as POC in an old English style.

OP
OP
D

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very doubtful. Knights of Columbus is a Catholic organization. They wouldn't have those symbols of magic on their stuff. Now a Shriner group I could see.

schrinerscarpet.jpg

This seems to be a good guess at least its a proven fact they like magic carpets.

OP
OP
D

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've searched for a while. I can't find anything myself. I like the pitcher and it is a bonifide antique. I see the letters as POC in an old English style.

Thanks. I thought it said POC but I figured if that was right I should be able to come up with something. I really thought it was cool but I assume the value is tied to knowing the group.

I'm afraid if this mystery is not solved here I do not know of another group better suited to figure it out.

OP
OP
D

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My main local competition sometimes sell china from cruise ships and trains and its much more durable pottery. I believe (the pitcher) is what is know as belleek pottery.

I did find this Shriners stein does feature similar moon made by a company in Trenton as well.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-shriners-lulu-temple-tankard-pitcher

I think if I was able to locate a little more information about the early Shriners temples I would be on to something.

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My main local competition sometimes sell china from cruise ships and trains and its much more durable pottery. I believe this is what is know as belleek pottery. But that would be cool.

I did find this Shriners stein does feature similar moon made by a company in Trenton as well.

Vintage Shriners - Lulu Temple Tankard / Pitcher (03/09/2008)

I think if I was able to locate a little more information about the early Shriners temples I would be on to something.
Belleek pottery is from Ireland. It is usually very thin and fragile bisque fired porcelain. Definitely not related to what is typically referred to as "Restaurant ware," which is in the same category as china from cruise ships and trains, planes and of course restaurants.

OP
OP
D

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Belleek pottery is from Ireland. It is usually very thin and fragile bisque fired porcelain. Definitely not related to what is typically referred to as "Restaurant ware," which is in the same category as china from cruise ships and trains, planes and of course restaurants.

Thanks for clearing that up. The pitcher is the thin breakable kind. It already has a repair. Belleek was for lack of a better term.

My local competition sells the "resturantware" but he gets much better prices for it than I would but figuring out what hotel a plate is from is something of a labor of love.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread