Amazing Craigslist deal.....

avalentine94

Greenie
Nov 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, recently I responded to a freshly posted CL ad for some silver dollars. The gentleman wasn't from town, but said he was there often, and would love to show me what he had. ... Along side some silver dollars, he also said he had some silver dimes, quarters and halves. Fast forward to the next day...Guy messages me back, and tells me he will be swinging through town on business. We meet up in the local sonic, and he pulls out an old bank bag. First, the dollars.. He told me there was 31 Dollars in the bag...Looking, I could see 3 Clad Ike dollars, which I pointed out too him. 25 Morgan dollars, and 3 Peace dollars. Next, he pulled out a bag of silver dimes, probably 30 or so, probably a few more, including some mercs. Mostly Roosies...Next, out comes the halves...A loose 1895 O Barber half, well worn... 4 Very nice 64' kennedys' in 2x2s, a 44' walker, and a 53 Franklin..PLUS A full roll of 40% Kennedy halves, and another partial roll with $6.00 Face value. Finally the quarters.. Out comes 36 Washington Quarters with dates all in the 50's and early 60's. A few 64's...Counting up all he had, I realized I had nowhere near enough money to make him a reasonable offer...(I had $200 in my pocket, and quite honestly was my limit.) He said $400 for the whole lot, which seemed extremely reasonable to me, but I just had to try and get him down a bit....I shot $300 back... He accepted. I drove back to the bank to grab the other hundred dollars in disbelief... Probably 20 of the morgans were in at least VF, a few honestly much better. A lot of them were still lustrous. I couldn't believe the deal I got. NOT INCLUDING the other silver coins...(Halves,Dimes,Quarters,) I paid less than $10.75 PER SILVER DOLLAR...Much less including the other coins. And, the cherries on top..ONLY 2 21's, in the Morgans, and He included a 71' proof set, and a Denver mint set from the 60's, and a few other things.... I will post pictures later this evening....I already went nuts and put most everything in a 2x2...Will keep you posted. I'm still in shock. :D

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
have you had them checked at a coin shop?

OP
OP
A

avalentine94

Greenie
Nov 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not...Currently, the town I'm attending College in doesn't have a coin shop, and I won't be able to get to one for the next few days. They all pass weight test, sound test, and all have at least a little bit of wear to them. All other coinage was in average condition, and the gentleman told me it had mostly come from his mother, and it had just been in his safe. It was all in an ooold zipper bank bag as well. He was an older gentleman, and there's a bit more to the story than that, but I gave him a little bit of credibility for having a firefigher license plate...(If it's worth anything) and seeming pretty genuine, and so did the coins, the 2x2's some of them already came in, and a Morgan dollar in a PVC kind of pocket with a slip of paper that said "It pays to save the stok growers' way"...In very old typewriter paper..Obviously some sort of promotion or something...It's an 1880 S in AU, or I would even dare say MS. It's got a little toning on one edge, but overall a very great looking coin. I would normally be pretty weary of a situation like this, except I genuinely felt it was just an older gentleman who really didn't know what he had exactly and wanted to just get rid of it in one big sale. I do agree though, and I am planning on taking the whole lot to a coin shop in the next week or so for a second opinion. As I said before, I am going to post some more pictures this evening when I get a minute to lay them all out.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with Jeff, too good to be true. The guy knew what he had if they were the real deal. He either was extremely desperate - dealt with you right away, first day, or he didn't know what he had.

Personally, I believe he knew what he had - and it was with trimmings, 2x2's

Or maybe he broke into somebody's house and stole them!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hope they turn out to be good, then you had a good day

OP
OP
A

avalentine94

Greenie
Nov 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20150216_175415.jpg 20150216_175424.jpg 20150216_175431.jpg 20150216_175438.jpg 20150216_175444.jpg 20150216_175448.jpg

I didn't bother including the various other coinage...Just all dirty old silver dimes, Quarters etc. But looking forward to taking them to a coin shop. There's a couple that are quite worn out, but as you can see most of them are pretty nice. Oh, and I put all of the Silver dollars in flaps when I got them. They were all loose. Also, for what it's worth I'm in a pretty rural area now. Lots of old houses, families, etc. Not even a lot of CL activity

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Based on the pics, they seem okay. Get yourself a scale and weigh the dollars. Alibaba sells fakes just as nice, or as worn and the pictures you've posted. The only way to tell is by weight, or by using a test kit.

OP
OP
A

avalentine94

Greenie
Nov 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've actually got a scale, for some reason I never even thought to compare them to the weight of my guaranteed real Dollars. I cracked a few nice ones out of my 2x2's and they all fall within a few points of each other, including the real ones. As I said in my original post, they most all passed the weight test..The really worn couple I got were only kind of significantly less. So, so far, I am optimistic. I re weighed them along with the guaranteed real one to make sure even if my scale was off, I'd still get an accurate result between real and questionable.

Last edited:

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope they are real. You may want to search CRH thread for a post about fake silver dollars. Definitely take them to a coin shop.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ok, now I am jealous

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
They look real … BUT you could have bought stolen merchandise …. No one could be that dumb .. Either stolen or fake..

OP
OP
A

avalentine94

Greenie
Nov 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did, plate was from the same state as me...(Wyo) And I didn't get a plate #

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Did you run a magnet over them?

It sounds like a fantastic deal.

OP
OP
A

avalentine94

Greenie
Nov 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hadn't thought of that. None of the dollars stick off a fridge magnet, but that's all I've got at the moment.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They look real.... ever thought of maybe stolen? Why wouldn't he take them to a shop in his town? Great for you!

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dunno. I had an older guy hand me 3 gold coins and say he wanted $175. For all of them. Right from his safe to my hand. Watched another lady want $500 for 100 oz of silver. When you don't know... You don't know... I paid the $500 but paid quite higher for the gold ones...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread