Thrift Store Sterling!!

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. Its been awhile since I've posted, but I've been lurking and soaking up the knowledge and motivation to get out there and hunt, so I thought I'd share a little motivating story of my own.

I've just returned from a short road trip through the southwest, and on an early morning stop today at a thrift store in southern Arizona, I stumbled across some sterling silver. Now, I've found the odd piece of sterling here and there, most recently some dinged-up weighted Towle candlesticks at Goodwill (spent $5 to flip for $45), and a Lincoln Mint solid sterling Mother's Day Plate (222g) at an estate sale (spent $1 - have yet to flip). I found this piece of sterling today after digging through the thrift store's platter and tray aisle without success. Alot of electroplate, electroplated copper, and good old stainless, but no sterling. Then, as I was checking out the glassware, I spotted this tray on the second shelf, set there as if someone had carried it and considered it, then discarded it.

FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender[1].jpg FullSizeRender[2].jpg

That first picture is of the plate next to a regular 12oz soda can. It hovers between 687g and 688g on my postal scale, but either way, I think you'll agree that's not a bad profit! :laughing7:

This isn't to brag or gloat, but rather to show that even in a heavily trafficked, picked over place like a popular chain thrift store, treasures can often be found. Today just happened to be my lucky day. Tomorrow could very well be yours.

Thanks, and happy hunting!

Last edited:

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You just have to keep going back, which can become tiresome and discouraging after (what feels like) too many wasted trips. I am excited for the flea market to pick up because before the season ended last year it had become my primary source of income. Admittedly, up until they stopped carrying jewelry at my local GWs I was making excellent scores there somewhat regularly (14k pearl necklace and 55g+ sterling cuff bracelet from two different stores in those last few weeks). And last summer I found a sterling plate (~140 grams) at GW for $2 and then a dish that was almost 300 grams the next week for $14 from an antique/craft mall here. Nothing anywhere near this big yet but you never find the great scores you don't leave the house for (except eBay but that's it's own crapshoot lol).

Edited to add: thanks for the morale-boosting, it's easy to forget that part sometimes :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread