OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now are you wondering why she didn't take it to a gold buyer?

No, I don't think she thought about it at all. She said she was going to go back to the store today because she bought it as being 10K. Supposedly she still has the paperwork and the warranty with it as well stating that it is 10K. I mean she was physically crying over selling it because she loves the thing so much but needed the money to pay her bills and put food on the table. I don't think any of that was an act.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for everyone who said I would get a good hit to make up for my loss. Because I think I got it today! $7.95 for a Navajo handmade beaded sterling necklace! Should make up for most!

image-43339844.jpg

image-2379903185.jpg

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
When I am acid testing, I look for ANY fading within the first minute, and if I even suspect any problem, I tilt the stone to roll the acid onto a new part of the scratch. If there has been any fading, it will be very apparent because you now see the faded area compared to unfaded. This has worked for me lots of times.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm getting decent at Native American Jewelry. That is a HUGE score. I'd list $1200 OBO and take the first 750 that comes along... You'll get a lot of interest on that piece. When in doubt, start high.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm getting decent at Native American Jewelry. That is a HUGE score. I'd list $1200 OBO and take the first 750 that comes along... You'll get a lot of interest on that piece. When in doubt, start high.

Do you think I should have my jeweler clean it? It'll come out looking brand-new but I don't know if it's the right thing to do on this one?

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you think I should have my jeweler clean it? It'll come out looking brand-new but I don't know if it's the right thing to do on this one?

Noper! Definitely wouldn't remove the patina on that thing. I would write in the listing something like, "Cleaning the piece will be at the buyer's discretion" yadayada.. That nice tarnish shows age. I think the the market for a piece like that is 85% collector, 15% old lady with money. Cheers

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I'd like to know what makes this a $750+ necklace. I did an ebay search for "sterling graduated" in Native American Pendants & Necklaces. There were 102 sold in the last 90 days. Only 12 of those sold for more than $400, 30 sold between $201-399, & 66 sold for $200 or less. What puts this one in the top 10%? Not trying to be offensive just want to learn.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
I had another comment but if two shops tested it as fake I'll just shut up and send my condolences.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had another comment but if two shops tested it as fake I'll just shut up and send my condolences.

Lol. Thanks. When I send a box to the refinery I'll send that with it. In the past they just send them back if they're not real.

gunner45

May 12, 2012
Bedford PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
One thing to try in the future when testing. If you don't care about ruining the piece take a file and cut into it, then use 14k acid and put a drop or two on the spot. If it turns green then it's not gold, if you get a brownish color then you should be good.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing to try in the future when testing. If you don't care about ruining the piece take a file and cut into it, then use 14k acid and put a drop or two on the spot. If it turns green then it's not gold, if you get a brownish color then you should be good.

I was told this recently by another guy and I didn't listen. I will do it from now on! I guarantee that. Either file it or cut it. Somewhere that the jeweler can fix it if it's real.

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always ask permission to file, because if it's fake I'm not buying it. I always give price I'll pay provided I can test to check purity.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread