Finding Packing Boxes - The Ongoing Headache

Junk_Puppet

Jul 23, 2014
Upstate New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure all or most of you have been stuck having to pack something up without the "right" box. Many of my go-to places are now shredding them. I am stuck going through cardboard dumpsters or cruising the streets on recycling day to get the boxes I need. Not the most prideful moments lol. I will never EVER hand U-Haul money for a cardboard box. So for now it's dumpster diving and garbage day!

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to the Post Office and get free priority mail boxes of all shapes and sizes.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get mine from a number of places, always dumpsters. Never actually had to climb into one, I use a broom handle to reach if I have to. My bubble wrap comes from TJ Maxx and Marshall's but that's another story.

OP
OP
J

Junk_Puppet

Jul 23, 2014
Upstate New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get mine from a number of places, always dumpsters. Never actually had to climb into one, I use a broom handle to reach if I have to. My bubble wrap comes from TJ Maxx and Marshall's but that's another story.

diggummup, diggumup! A lot easier when they are full!

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure all or most of you have been stuck having to pack something up without the "right" box. Many of my go-to places are now shredding them. I am stuck going through cardboard dumpsters or cruising the streets on recycling day to get the boxes I need. Not the most prideful moments lol. I will never EVER hand U-Haul money for a cardboard box. So for now it's dumpster diving and garbage day!

If you are looking for smaller boxes, try a local Ace/True Value hardware store. All of those bins full of hardware are shipped there somehow. My local store will empty the boxes into the steel bins and leave them on the top shelf for customers to use. Since i'm in there a few times a week, ill pick up a handful on every trip.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I some time make mine. A box maybe to big but I will just cut it down to size. Also combine boxes for the bigger items. Takes sometime at first but beats wondering where you next box will come from.

OP
OP
J

Junk_Puppet

Jul 23, 2014
Upstate New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I some time make mine. A box maybe to big but I will just cut it down to size. Also combine boxes for the bigger items. Takes sometime at first but beats wondering where you next box will come from.

With over 3,000 feedbacks I have made/shaped/customized hundreds of boxes! It happens, it's part of the game

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup, diggumup! A lot easier when they are full!
They usually are but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

It sucks but I've done that plenty of times before too.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I mostly ship smaller items & don't need a lot of large boxes. I keep a good stock of free priority mail boxes & regularly order more when I start to get low. I also buy boxes in the sizes I need for items that ship first class and/or media mail. I'm not averse to "free" boxes. They just seem to cost more when I add in my gas & time. I figure on average it costs about $1 for the box & packing materials for each item. I'd have to be able to pick up 30 boxes an hour before I'd consider spending time sourcing free boxes.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mostly ship smaller items & don't need a lot of large boxes. I keep a good stock of free priority mail boxes & regularly order more when I start to get low. I also buy boxes in the sizes I need for items that ship first class and/or media mail. I'm not averse to "free" boxes. They just seem to cost more when I add in my gas & time. I figure on average it costs about $1 for the box & packing materials for each item. I'd have to be able to pick up 30 boxes an hour before I'd consider spending time sourcing free boxes.
I guess it all depends on where you live in context to the free boxes. I use priority boxes myself with many items. But my freebie boxes can be had by the dozens less than 2 miles from my home so time and expense isn't an issue for me personally. The post office, maybe a half mile from home. Living in urban sprawl has a few advantages anyway.

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my local grocery store has boxes on top of all the aisles

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
99% of the Time anymore I use the small box from Home Depot. They're like $.89 if the item is too big and sticks out of it one will fit on top of each other without a problem. To make it taller. Or slide partially over the other box. And then if it's too small the boxes are easy to cut and fold and you can pretty much fold them to whatever size you need. And that's all I use anymore. I don't look for boxes I go to Home Depot and then just cut them to size and fold them down.

OtakuDude

Apr 16, 2007
Monee, IL
As many have said, hit the grocery stores for smaller to mid-sized boxes.

Also try Craigslist. If you look in the 'Free' section, you should easily find numerous people wanting to get rid of their cardboard boxes asap.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a wife that does a ton of shopping on Amazon & Ebay and you'll have all kinds of boxes to send stuff in. You should see my good usable empty box supply.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I do.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wal Mart here gives you all you want...the workers stocking will let you take any that you choose.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure all or most of you have been stuck having to pack something up without the "right" box. Many of my go-to places are now shredding them. I am stuck going through cardboard dumpsters or cruising the streets on recycling day to get the boxes I need. Not the most prideful moments lol. I will never EVER hand U-Haul money for a cardboard box. So for now it's dumpster diving and garbage day![/QUOTE

The local estate sale dealer always hits several of the smaller liquor stores a week or so before he lists a new sale. Everyone kids him about "his drinkin' problem", but those boxes are made to support heavy bottles, work great, and they're free.

I've also seen ads on Craigslist wanting to sell professional mover's boxes and the infamous U-Haul brown and orange boxes. I've not seen an ad that says "Come and get'em", but all folded back flat, for 10-20cents on the dollar you had to buy the all....

A bit of advice about those dumpster diving boxes you bring home. Don't do what I did. It wasn't a cardboard box, but a dusty-cobweb soft nylon tool bag I bought at an early morning October garage sale.... For $5 for the tool bag and contents, it had a Milwaukee screw-gun in it. Before dark I went to the pickup to get it and I brought it into the house where I could take a look at the power tool. I didn't get to it and thought I'd just wait until the next morning.... That night, my wife got up about 2 or 3 A.M. and going down the hallway she met the biggest trophy-size roach/water bug since our young days of living in early-marriage apartments.... So, due to a loud scream of my first name, I was now up, in a cold house, at 2or3 A.M., dealing with the new house guest, plus putting the tool bag out on the windy and cold back step until well after sunrise....

Even after convincing your spouse and yourself "Surely, that was the only One", ever try going back to sleep after sprinting two or three "100 yard Dashes"?? :tongue3:

Bill

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread