"Gold" pins

SCpicker

Jan 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a pin marked "solid gold" at a yard sale a few weeks ago. I tested it and it's not even 10k. Using 14k acid on the scratch stone the streak didn't even turn coppery like it would if it was 9k or 10k. It just vanished like other non gold things. Last week I came across another pin marked "gold" then the makers mark or initials. It looks more like gold than the other pin but the pin part definitely isn't gold. They wanted $10 for it but I passed on it. Does anyone else have any experience with this kind of mark?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    270.8 KB · Views: 192
  • image.png
    image.png
    248.1 KB · Views: 212
  • image.png
    image.png
    237 KB · Views: 162
  • image.png
    image.png
    280.1 KB · Views: 183

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Gold" pins

I tend to find marks that are molded or laser etched to always be fake. Also I avoid any numbers without KT for example 14 as they are always true intended to mislead without breaking the law. As for your piece it does appear to say solid gold but that D is suspect. It almost looks like it's supposed to say solis gold. I've also noticed at the mall a lot of the kiosks advertise rings and they say they are gold. if you look at the ring it's laser Mark 14 karat but since the dealer never sold it to you as 14 karat gold and only as gold rings he can probably get away with it.

Last edited:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Solid gold would be 24k and very soft.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've see pins like yours and yes you need to recognize the bogus one over the ones that are made of gold. I can tell by looking at them through a loupe and even the weight difference in the center palm of my hand give me an indication. I've traded many gold ones for cash at the scrap buyers and sold a few on ebay. The gold pins seem to be made better with much more detail and workmanship. If they have a small stone or diamond take note on how the stone is set. If it's like glued in, then it's a bogus pin most likely.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Solid gold and gold are recognized marks for gold.

In the US it is required to post the purity of the gold. is it not?

Metro Retro

Apr 8, 2013
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found that a lot of these old fraternity pins marked 'solid gold', often have a solid gold "face" or heavy plating in front. If you test the front, you'll likely get a positive result (usually 9K or 10K).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread