Remember Doing It With A Newspaper And Roadmap?

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well right now it is 8:30 on Saturday morning. No garage sales for me today ;(
In two hours i have a 1.5 hour drive to my sisters house (the other side of los angeles) I do not like the drive. No matter when I go there is a traffic jam at downtown LA.

Mini family reunion at noon.

I use the thomas bros map on DVD, just put in address and it gives page & grid number.
I only use yardsalesearch.com, this morning 146 were listed in 15 mile radius.
I usually pick out 40-50 to hit and narrow it down to about 30 that I arrange in a circular 45-50 mile route. I try to hit sales where there are clusters of sales. I always follow signs.

But, my biggest pet peeve? IDIOTS that have no idea how to do a good sign.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well right now it is 8:30 on Saturday morning. No garage sales for me today ;(
In two hours i have a 1.5 hour drive to my sisters house (the other side of los angeles) I do not like the drive. No matter when I go there is a traffic jam at downtown LA.

Mini family reunion at noon.

I use the thomas bros map on DVD, just put in address and it gives page & grid number.
I only use yardsalesearch.com, this morning 146 were listed in 15 mile radius.
I usually pick out 40-50 to hit and narrow it down to about 30 that I arrange in a circular 45-50 mile route. I try to hit sales where there are clusters of sales. I always follow signs.

But, my biggest pet peeve? IDIOTS that have no idea how to do a good sign.

Oh the sign thing gets us going too!! Some people just use a regular piece of paper and write out the info like a freakin letter!! I always say to my wife, "How do people like that get through day to day"??!! And I'm supposed to read all that in a size 10 font while driving by!

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I'm supposed to read all that in a size 10 font while driving by!
Now you got me goin Cappy. My 2nd biggest gripe is when they leave up all the signs. Then the next weekend when I follow signs no yardsale to be found. A city near me requires a permit to have a yard sale. I guess they can only have two a year. Two years ago I was in that city (Anaheim I think) and a parking enforcement guy pulled up to an un-permitted yard sale and told them to close down.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now you got me goin Cappy. My 2nd biggest gripe is when they leave up all the signs. Then the next weekend when I follow signs no yardsale to be found. A city near me requires a permit to have a yard sale. I guess they can only have two a year. Two years ago I was in that city (Anaheim I think) and a parking enforcement guy pulled up to an un-permitted yard sale and told them to close down.

Wow! The yard sale police! [emoji601]. I have heard of that before in larger metropolitan areas. Nothing like that here but we too get the infamous clowns who leave their signs up! I guess we have to take the good with the bad.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! The yard sale police! [emoji601].
I looked it up. It is anaheim, home of Disneyland. They control a lot of what goes on in that town. The law makes sense I am going to see if it is really enforced (September 3&4). There are so many illegals in that town I can understand the logic. Here it is.

ANAHEIM – This city, hoping to crack down on residents routinely using their yards as flea markets, has approved a new ordinance that will limit garage sales to four designated weekends each year.

Under the new city law that takes effect Jan. 1 2014, garage sales can only be held on the first full weekends of March, June, September and December.

The law is intended to push down on garage sales held weekly – and in some cases every day – at homes that sometimes sell new products or re-sell used items acquired only to sell for profit.

"These types of sales compromise the enjoyment of neighborhoods by generating litter, traffic, trampling of landscape areas, blockage of public (areas) and illegal signage," Sheri Vander Dussen, the city's planning director, said in a report to City Council members.

Violators will receive a courtesy notice, followed by a civil citation and fines for repeat offenders. Residents could face a $200 fine for the first violation, up to a $500 for the third violation within a year.

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Why is it that every time I read the title of this thread it just sounds dirtier and dirtier? Maybe I am just officially an old pervert now? LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread