Fly Fishing on Letgo

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't know where else to put this one so here it goes... (if there is a better forum, feel free to move it)

I comb through Craigslist and Letgo all the time looking for items involved in my hobbies: guitars, amps, fishing (fly and lure), and metal detecting. Letgo is great because you can set it to be purely local to you.

Well last week i spotted an ad on Letgo that I must have missed. It was for 40 boxes of flies for fly fishing. It had been up for over a month and no takers. I made the seller an offer of $50, which he quickly accepted. In my mind, I figured 40 boxes x 5 flies/box = 200 flies. 200 x $2 = $400. Simple right? Well.. when I got home and started sorting, there were more than 5 flies/box, more than one type of fly per box, and a good number of those flies sell for more than $2/fly.

All in all:
444 freshwater flies (47 types)
99 saltwater flies (21 types)
Total value based on the old price stickers (which are 30-50 cents per fly below current prices): $1325
There were also 2 boxes of about 50 that were mixed that I haven't even included.

Time to go fishing!

Last edited:

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a steal! Fresh water flies go from 2$ to 4$ per fly if well hand tied (at least here). I make my own flies since i'm 16. Hope you get a nice brown trout on your first outing! WTG!

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$50.00 for all of that is like shooting fish in barrel!! What a deal! Tight lines to ya!!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Letgo has produced for me too. Great scoe

OP
OP
Auriemma

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all. Looking at the flies and a few of the boxes, I think they are all made by Orvis. A great name in fly fishing.

Bill... I have a fly tying kit too. Picked it up off CL for $30. All the tools and materials you could imagine. I really should start tying.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No way! If your tying kit is Orvis it's worth some $$$. Flies made for or by Orvis are of quality. Do you have a picture of the kit?

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Catching an brown trout with a dry fly you've made is very rewarding. As much as a Morgan in an iron infested field. 😀
Send from my phone.

OP
OP
Auriemma

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No way! If your tying kit is Orvis it's worth some $$$. Flies made for or by Orvis are of quality. Do you have a picture of the kit?
No, the kit wasn't made by Orvis (I wish), but the flies may be. They all are very high quality.

Catching an brown trout with a dry fly you've made is very rewarding. As much as a Morgan in an iron infested field.
I know what you mean. I took some fly tying classes at LL Bean. I came home with a dry fly (don't recall which) that I tied in class. I used it the next outing. Caught so many trout and sunnies (all catch and release) that the poor fly was just a ball of fuzz on a hook when it was over... and they were still hitting the fuzzy hook!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread