Jun 15, 2015
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought this helmet today for $20! I'm pretty sure it's WW2 m1 helmet but I'm not sure. I love WW2 things and I just love the history behind the stuff. I was wondering if anyone can give me some information and I was wondering the price of the helmet. Thanks!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1473540579.095927.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1473540629.275506.jpg

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the rim seam in the rear, I'd say you found one! What's a WWII helmet bringing these days?

Bill

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Funny! I just bought an identical helmet at Goodwill for $14.99 yesterday. But mine has a "plaster-like" material all over the outside. I guessed it was WWII and figured I'd take a chance. The history alone is worth the price.

GregK

Jan 10, 2008
Where is the seam on the rim? Is it in the front or rear? I see that the chinstrap bales are of the swivel variety. If it is a front seam with swivel bale it would be a late war variety. If it is a rear seam / swivel bale then it is a post war helmet. Here is a handy site that will help you date your specific example:

Dating M1

Thanks,
Greg

OP
OP
luke_00

luke_00

Jun 15, 2015
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where is the seam on the rim? Is it in the front or rear? I see that the chinstrap bales are of the swivel variety. If it is a front seam with swivel bale it would be a late war variety. If it is a rear seam / swivel bale then it is a post war helmet. Here is a handy site that will help you date your specific example:

Dating M1

Thanks,
Greg

Thanks for the info! I found out it is a front seam and also found the heat stamp. It is marked 976B.

Last edited:
OP
OP
luke_00

luke_00

Jun 15, 2015
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest: