Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks GibH. That's what I came up with but I doubted myself. I got the bracelet for $1 so I did alright. Thanks Again!

SCpicker

Jan 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're bad with math an easy estimate is $1 a gram for typical gold filled items.

Coldshuz

May 18, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just out of curiosity, I understand the 21.2g * 1/20 (or .05%) being 1.06g, to find actual gold would you then multiply that by .5 (12 ct being 50% of 24 ct) giving .53 gr?

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coldshuz, You are making my brain hurt! Thanks for carrying the math out to pure gold. steve

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
When out in the field I use the following estimated "cheat formulas":

Scrap value of 14k = $20 per gram
Scrap value of gold filled OR sterling = $1 per gram
Scrap value of weighted sterling = 10% of total weight

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy All, My math skills suck so... If I buy a bracelet that weighs 21.2 grams and is marked 1/20 12 kt , how much 12 kt gold is actually in the bracelet? Thanks steve

Use this site to convert gold filled (in various karats) into how much you'll get and the current value of refined gold from GF jewelry. You'll see in "window #3" the 1/20 or 1/10 ratio amounts stamped on the GF pieces you've found. With the variance of 2 karats either way, you should have a close idea of what it's worth. I like this site. The owner, JB, upgraded his graphics and listened to those who used the site as he added the calculator window of "More Alloys" that does GF for you.

Ultrafast Live Scrap Gold Calculator [USD] from Dendritics

When gold was near it's all time high, some of the local pawn shops started to buy gold filled jewelry back then. When gold goes over $2,000 Toz, their will be another market for GF pieces as scrap, but also as "affordable" upscale jewelry in times going bad..... If your GF pieces are in better than good condition, you could make more than sending it to a refinery....:tongue3:

Keep lookin',
Bill

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not pay $1 a gram for sterling or gold filled nowadays. Sterling is only worth about .50 a gram and unless the 12k gold filled is 1/10 and not 1/20th then it's only worth a dollar a gram maybe, if my math is right. That's full melt price.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread