Garage sales heating up gold watch; silver pitcher

HistoryTeacher

Mar 9, 2017
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soooooo many sales. I got the 14K marked gold watch for $25.00. I wound it, and it runs pretty well. It is a Lady Elgin 23. I haven't opened it yet or decided to go for scrap or resale. The sun glasses are gold filled and in very good condition. I really like the shape. The spoon was $1 and is marked 800. The enamel travel charm was $1. The Mexican clip on earrings were $1. The two gold pins are gold-filled, but on has a nice local connection "Atlanta High School." Each was $1. I overpaid for the tiny sterling salt and peppers at $3 for just under six grams. The crystal pitcher is from Black Starr and Frost and the top is sterling. I checked all over the outside for chips and found none, but when I got it home it saw that there are internal cracks from the handle to the base. Too bad since this manufacturer seems to go for a nice premium. Black Starr and Frost were founded in NYC in 1810 and are still around. This is the first time I have come across them.

The big win was the silver pitcher. After a long morning of hitting garage sales, I almost didn't go to the sidewalk sale at an antique store near me. The sale had been going on for three hours so I was stunned to pick up the pitcher and see a sticker with $10 scratched out and replaced by $5 on the bottom of the pitcher. Why stunned? Next to the sticker was the mark "Ortega Mexico 925." How did they miss that? It weighs in at 306 grams. It has a small dent.

IMG_0016_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0037_edited-1.jpg

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations ,nice haul, it's amazing to make a big find late in the day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread