It was not supposed to be gold!

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True story, I went to a comm sale that was not advertised on CL. I get there at 730, and scored a few paintings. there was very little resident participation, and so I left to another comm sale. I knew that on this second sale, it would be hard to score, as there were going to be a lot of pickers there, and getting there by 8am was definitely not going to help. When I got there I quickly moved from house to house but no luck. After going to as many homes as possible, I decided to go back home because I was going to attend an Orlando City Soccer game.

The first comm sale that I had gone to is on my way home, so I decided to stop again the see if maybe I missed something. I go throughout the community made a few stops, but didn't see anything new. Right when I'm about to head out of the community I spot a lady that has a table with some wine glasses, some purses, a vacuum cleaner, and on the same table as the glasses a little bit of jewelry. I scan the jewelry but it all seems newer custom and unmarked. I picked up a necklace that had a disco ball with "diamonds" but quickly determine that the ball is not gold ad they are not real diamonds.

As I'm doing this, the lady sees me and asks in a sarcastic and joking way I'f I'm looking for gold. I said yes, and she blurts out, well, there isn't any there or anywhere here. I jokingly blurt out myself, wait, this is 14kt gold and smile. She responds the same way and says, no it's not, and I say you're right, it's not, and we both laugh. But, as I'm looking at the necklace, I spot on the outside part of the clasp some faint writing, I nonchalantly give it a few good stares and to my amazement and big surprise I see etched the word "Italy" and "14kt". :-) I ask her how much for the jewelry, and she points to a sign that reads $5 a piece. I paid her, say good bye, get in my car and drive away. Once I'm out of the comm, I take out my loupe, and sure enough....14kt Italian gold on the chain. Needless to say, I was ecstatic on my way home, and to top it off, Orlando City won the game!

P.S. I do not know why everybody else missed that, as it was around 930 when I went back, and more than likely already picked over. My theory is that they were focused on the pendant, and not the chain itself.

Artslinger 14k-2.jpeg 14k.jpeg

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be sure to test the gold stuff marked Italy. Many fake Italy marked pieces out there.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say it was missed because it looks fake. The clasp and the connectors to the necklace. Normally the circle loop is soldered. And the markings are on both sides of the connectors for the ends of the necklace. But I've been wrong before and I would've bought it to most likely so hopefully I'm wrong again! Awesome score though if it's legit!

OP
OP
artslinger

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say it was missed because it looks fake. The clasp and the connectors to the necklace. Normally the circle loop is soldered. And the markings are on both sides of the connectors for the ends of the necklace. But I've been wrong before and I would've bought it to most likely so hopefully I'm wrong again! Awesome score though if it's legit!

I was waiting for the bank to open, with a big smile on my face, but tested it with a magnet, an it stuck, I then used a different loupe, and I was able to determine some discoloration and black spots. Thanks for your observations. I sincerely appreciate it!

artslinger

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup you got to watch those. Been burned quite a few times myself

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear that! Study the claps on eBay if you get a chance. They are a dead ringer usually. Normally marked on both sides and on the latch of the clasp.

But to be honest, taking a chance is a good thing. Helps you learn more then just leaving it. I've met people who will just straight out walk away from a piece of gold because they're not 100% sure it's worth spending the five dollars. I'd rather take a chance and be wrong then not take a chance and leave something good!

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup you got to watch those. Been burned quite a few times myself

I've been burned a couple of times in the last month or so with sterling chains. Picked up two nice looking sterling chains with Italy 925 on all the right places and when I got home they stuck to the magnet. Crap!! Only a couple of bucks lost.

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rotty23 and WarBaby are right. If you're worried about being too obvious, here is a cool tip I'm sure I picked up somewhere on this forum: place a tiny rare earth magnet on your finger and secure it under a Band-Aid. That way you can handle jewelry at yard sales and inconspicuously test if the piece is drawn to the magnet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
artslinger

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear that! Study the claps on eBay if you get a chance. They are a dead ringer usually. Normally marked on both sides and on the latch of the clasp.

But to be honest, taking a chance is a good thing. Helps you learn more then just leaving it. I've met people who will just straight out walk away from a piece of gold because they're not 100% sure it's worth spending the five dollars. I'd rather take a chance and be wrong then not take a chance and leave something good!

Thanks to all once again. I'm definitely not shy about pulling the trigger. The key is to buy low, so if it turns out that the item is not valuable, the lessen learned does not become an expensive one.

I have a small collection of loupes. One in particular has a magnet on the bottom. This will now be my favorite loupe going forward. :)

artslinger

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep a small powerful magnet on my key ring and use my car key to move the jewelry around while covertly magnet testing anything that looks real. Works real good. Good luck!

jodan3399

Jan 1, 2013
Brownsville, Pa
Detector(s) used
White's Classic III, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, the clasp is a give away. Pretty though.

I'm thinking about getting one of those magnetic rings they use for magic tricks.
I need a good stealth magnet...and I'm always laying down my keys if I don't put them in my purse.

SCpicker

Jan 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can someone please explain to me how using a magnet determines a piece is fake?

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gold or silver won't be attracted to it, base metals (even plated) will.

WoodnHead

Mar 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silver and gold are not magnetic. If it is marked with precious metal marks and reacts it is plated or just plain fake. Not reacting doesn't guarantee it's precious metal but it weeds out definite no's. Exception is some spring clasps will react. The spring portion inside is reacting, so test another part of the piece.

MCS Picker

Dec 17, 2016
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
long time prowler, first time contributor. this may help, with respect to the magnetism angle. as for sterling silver items that are also rhodium plated, they first add a thin layer of solid nickel to the sterling, before the rhodium plating, as rhodium sticks to nickel, better than to silver. thus, with a strong "rare earth" magnet, some sterling is lightly magnetic. hope it helps. enjoy!

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, Rhodium is what? It's not silver...why would Sterling Silver be plated with Rhodium? I don't get it.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, Rhodium is what? It's not silver...why would Sterling Silver be plated with Rhodium? I don't get it.

Rhodium is harder and won't tarnish.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions