billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can someone please explain to me how using a magnet determines a piece is fake?

Using a magnet is mainly for "speed". When you are looking through individual jewelry pieces, usually you aren't alone. Other gold and silver bugs are looking just a fast and hard as you are. Copper and Brass are usual base metals for plating of costume jewelry, but having that little edge of knowing some of what is magnetic can make a big difference.

For me, the super magnet half the size of a domino that's affixed to my 7x LED lighted magnifying glass helps me know to quickly put that magnetic piece down and look for another. And it helps when garage sales sell several pieces by the "Baggie". Low light levels cause a lot of the competition not equipped with a magnet and an LED light to have to slow down to try to see and decide about every piece. Having both helps me for jewelry as well as picking up scrap solid copper and brass while at a sale by checking to be sure their not plated.

One lady comes and goes, and because I picked the real PM jewelry quickly, I'll find gold and silver she misses... Several times the same lady tries to buy all of it at once, at a dirt-cheap price, and then go home to sort through it, but if I'm there she knows trying that stunt can be overridden with a simple "higher offer".:tongue3:

Bill

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread