Today's pick....both altered, I am afraid.

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
20170610_163634.jpg
20170610_163715.jpg

I believe these are legit WWII era Army Air Corp sterling pieces. I was told they were altered for a sweetheart back home. I am wondering what the more knowledgeable think of these, authentic or not and value-wise as is. I am not in too deep, only $5 for the pair and they are heavy enough to be worth more than that in sterling, not that I would ever sell these for spot. Thanks for looking and the help.

T.

Last edited:

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the one with a chain was on a liquor bottle.

GarageSaleKing

Sep 12, 2016
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is nothing to be afraid of. $5 for sterling is fine. Even if they were worth nothing, $5 isn't very much. You can never be right 100% of the time. We all buy stuff that doesn't have much value.:icon_king:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is nothing to be afraid of. $5 for sterling is fine. Even if they were worth nothing, $5 isn't very much. You can never be right 100% of the time. We all buy stuff that doesn't have much value.:icon_king:
HEY I thought I was the Garage Sale King?

OP
OP
CladSpends2

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
I was just afraid that by being altered, they had lost their collectability, I didn't realize that they had become a whole other collectable. I am still learning, something new every day. A trip here to tnet is a lesson a day.

T.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CladSpends2

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Diggum, thanks for chiming in, I was hoping you would. I believe it is altered as I think this was origionally a pin back piece. If you look on both ends of the reverse you can see what I think are grinding/buffing down marks where the posts of the pin back were. Also the "needle" part of the pin is brass (?), not sterling, like the rest of the piece. If you tell me I am wrong, I will definately bow to your superior knowlege. Again, TY for looking at this post.

T.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just afraid that by being altered, they had lost their collectability, I didn't realize that they had become a whole other collectable.

Remember WWI had trench art. You may be able to work that idea into your auction. Even more collectible now.

This might help in your ad:

Airman makes sweetheart bracelet from his wings while on bombing run over Berlin. He should actually be yelling "bombs away" when he sees that little guy with funny mustache in his bomb sights. But that's another story.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread