May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up these vintage Ray-Ban's ar an estate sale today for $23. I don't think they're really ever worn as there's no wear on the case and it even has the original warranty card. They appear to be I think 1970s maybe Ray ban outdoorsman's. There should be a good flip. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1497154433.738462.jpg I also picked up a few watches for $15 each. I'm hoping to make my money back please. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1497154468.085507.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1497154493.180223.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1497154507.270040.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1497154541.038418.jpg and I also got a cobra radar detector for three bucks and again this one looks like it had never been used. That one I'm keeping.

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice ray-bans always in demand. Still looking for some for myself! Maybe I'll find some gold-filled ones at a scrapper one day lol!

This is helpful your raybans are from the 80s-90s, "The small etched BL in the lenses near the hinge points was not used in Ray-Ban sunglass lens production until the late 1970's, and the cursive white Ray-Ban trademark logo on the lens was introduced in late 1982 and subsequently present on all Ray-Ban sunglasses from 1983 onward." http://www.sunglassesmalaysia.com/2011/09/ray-ban-bl-and-rb-history-and.html

Last edited:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I may add a watch tip or two. If you wish to spark interest in these or any watches( I believe you are by the word please) Take photos that can allow the dial and face to be seen and read. These photos are very blurry. Also always place the hands at 10 and two o'clock. This allows the both hands to be seen and you can read all of the lettering and sub dials. Dials and hands as well as maker are everything in a watch!

Cheers

I am interested in the chrono if you can take a better picture?

Last edited:
OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice ray-bans always in demand. Still looking for some for myself! Maybe I'll find some gold-filled ones at a scrapper one day lol!

This is helpful your raybans are from the 80s-90s, "The small etched BL in the lenses near the hinge points was not used in Ray-Ban sunglass lens production until the late 1970's, and the cursive white Ray-Ban trademark logo on the lens was introduced in late 1982 and subsequently present on all Ray-Ban sunglasses from 1983 onward." http://www.sunglassesmalaysia.com/2011/09/ray-ban-bl-and-rb-history-and.html

Thank you this is very helpful.

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I may add a watch tip or two. If you wish to spark interest in these or any watches( I believe you are by the word please) Take photos that can allow the dial and face to be seen and read. These photos are very blurry. Also always place the hands at 10 and two o'clock. This allows the both hands to be seen and you can read all of the lettering and sub dials. Dials and hands as well as maker are everything in a watch!

Cheers

I am interested in the chrono if you can take a better picture?

Sorry about the pics I just don't know why they don't come out better. The yellow chronograph is a SUG. The SQ 100 is a Seiko. The square one is a Bonheur. The silver one is an Alexandre Christie. I'll try to post better pictures later. All the items are already listed on eBay except for the Alexandre Christie. Please PM me if you are interested in the SUG watch and I will cut you a deal.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1497186576.068584.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1497186588.113032.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1497186606.468465.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1497186629.061776.jpg

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you did good on the Raybans and not so good on the watches. I would have passed at that price.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice picks. I like the SUG chrono as well. It looks like you had a productive weekend.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you did good on the Raybans and not so good on the watches. I would have passed at that price.
I am with you Digummup Three of these watches are rebranded unknown name watches. The chronograph is a quartz movement, and a crack in the crystal at 12 o'clock. The Seiko is famous but famous like a Timex. Mass produced economy watches (As a rule, Seiko does make a few very high end pieces, they are rare and valuable)

As a rule for beginners buy anything that is reasonable and Ticks (mechanical windup or automatic movements)
Educate yourself with the notable Brands of the world If it is not on the list it is an Ebauch movement and then you would need to know who made it for the reseller. I personally like aBlogtoWatch World's Most Popular Watch Blog - Watch Reviews, Buying Guides, News & Discussion They send you an email everyday of some new offerings, have archives for research, and have a list of all notable brands, they do not sell anything so no pressure.

Understand a watch companies Retail to wholesale pricing structure. This is harder to do because you need to become "in the know" Here are a few secrets to help you guys determine what a good used value is.

Watches Like Timex, Belwith, and the three listed above are triple Key. So to explain, a Timex with a hundred dollar retail price tag is sold to the retailer at a 33 dollar wholesale cost. When Kmart sells it at 100 bucks they triple their money, when they have a 35% off sale they still double it. So a hundred dollar like new used Timex is really 33 dollars new so used like new it is worth 35 - 40 percent less than a New or about 21 Dollars. To make money you need to apply the 3'S 1/3 cost 1/3 marketing 1/3 profit so you need to be in the timex for $7 or less in perfect running condition. This method applies to All watches except the very high end Rolex Patek Philippe Breguet Audimars etc. Which are traded at very tight percentages and actually appreciate when used (over time).

Citizen and Seiko are 50 -20 Take a retail price of $100 and subtract 50% = $50 then subtract 20% = $40 New wholesale cost then figure a used price from it based on above. Swatch will also fall in this breakout.

Almost all Mid grade watches. Movado, Mont Blanc, Tag Heuer, Breitling (yes even Breitling) And Many Many others are 50 - 50. So a $3000 retail Breitling wholesales at $1500 and used like new is 35% less than that or $975 like new used. Which you then need to make money on. I will flip a watch in this bracket for a $200 profit without blinking.

Rolex Patek and the high end are variable by retail cost. The largest Rolex dealer in the world gets 21% off of list so a $100,000.00 Rolex is at best $89,000.00 (correction $79,000.00) to a dealer. They work on much smaller margins thus the used value is much higher. Rolex never makes enough (Think De Beers) They control the used market by keeping new demand high. Thus always a demand for used and it rises in value with the new retail.

Hope I haven't bored you guys to tears, but understanding the reality of the Watch cost world will help you increase your profits!!
Cheers all
R

Last edited:
OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am with you Digummup Three of these watches are rebranded unknown name watches. The chronograph is a quartz movement, and a crack in the crystal at 12 o'clock. The Seiko is famous but famous like a Timex. Mass produced economy watches (As a rule, Seiko does make a few very high end pieces, they are rare and valuable)

As a rule for beginners buy anything that is reasonable and Ticks (mechanical windup or automatic movements)
Educate yourself with the notable Brands of the world If it is not on the list it is an Ebauch movement and then you would need to know who made it for the reseller. I personally like aBlogtoWatch World's Most Popular Watch Blog - Watch Reviews, Buying Guides, News & Discussion They send you an email everyday of some new offerings, have archives for research, and have a list of all notable brands, they do not sell anything so no pressure.

Understand a watch companies Retail to wholesale pricing structure. This is harder to do because you need to become "in the know" Here are a few secrets to help you guys determine what a good used value is.

Watches Like Timex, Belwith, and the three listed above are triple Key. So to explain, a Timex with a hundred dollar retail price tag is sold to the retailer at a 33 dollar wholesale cost. When Kmart sells it at 100 bucks they triple their money, when they have a 35% off sale they still double it. So a hundred dollar like new used Timex is really 33 dollars new so used like new it is worth 35 - 40 percent less than a New or about 21 Dollars. To make money you need to apply the 3'S 1/3 cost 1/3 marketing 1/3 profit so you need to be in the timex for $7 or less in perfect running condition. This method applies to All watches except the very high end Rolex Patek Philippe Breguet Audimars etc. Which are traded at very tight percentages and actually appreciate when used (over time).

Citizen and Seiko are 50 -20 Take a retail price of $100 and subtract 50% = $50 then subtract 20% = $40 New wholesale cost then figure a used price from it based on above. Swatch will also fall in this breakout.

Almost all Mid grade watches. Movado, Mont Blanc, Tag Heuer, Breitling (yes even Breitling) And Many Many others are 50 - 50. So a $3000 retail Breitling wholesales at $1500 and used like new is 35% less than that or $975 like new used. Which you then need to make money on. I will flip a watch in this bracket for a $200 profit without blinking.

Rolex Patek and the high end are variable by retail cost. The largest Rolex dealer in the world gets 21% off of list so a $100,000.00 Rolex is at best $89,000.00 to a dealer. They work on much smaller margins thus the used value is much higher. Rolex never makes enough (Think De Beers) They control the used market by keeping new demand high. Thus always a demand for used and it rises in value with the new retail.

Hope I haven't bored you guys to tears, but understanding the reality of the Watch cost world will help you increase your profits!!
Cheers all
R

Wow thank you for all the info. Normally I would have passed on these but I've had such good luck selling some of the more unusual watches from fashion brands I thought I would give these a try. The Seiko is rough and was a mistake. It's a shame because it is a great looking watch. That being said I did pick up an 18kt gold ladies Piaget. More to come on that when I get it in my hands.

Last edited:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thank you for all the info. Normally I would have passed on these but I've had such good luck selling some of the more unusual watches from fashion brands I thought I would give these a try. The Seiko is rough and was a mistake. It's a shame because it is a great looking watch. That being said I did pick up an 18kt gold ladies Piaget. More to come on that when I get it in my hands.
Ladies watches Are very soft. I buy them at scrap with the movement included. Cant get hurt on them that way. They take a while to sell unless they are Tiffany or Patek, Rolex etc. When I see unusual fashion watches not running in battery I will pay up to $5 and that is a stretch. Too much time to sell and risk in them working. I am the king of the bulk buy. Take all ten of the non working watches for $5. This won't hurt you. I bought a Mens diamond Pave' gold Piaget 122,000 List for 12,000.00 I sold it and was happy to get 14,500. Piaget is nice but not well known. Hope you didn't torch yourself on your Piaget?
Looking forward to seeing it!

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sold the Ray Bans for $95 and the SUG for $50 so I am well into the black now. A few more sales to go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread