All that glitters is not gold.

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I'd relate what just happened. While walking my dogs a late model Kia Sorrento pulls up to the side walk and the driver says " I need your help. I have no money and I have my two kids in the car with me." He pulls off a gold ring from his finger and says give me what you can, I don't care if I lose money on it.

I think wait a minute if I was in his position at a minimum I would pawn it for scrap. This and him driving a new car made my scam alert go off. I told him I have no cash on me. While he drove off I noticed his out of state plates.I have to thank all fellow tneter's and their jewelry discussions to help me curb my greed.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Desperation makes people do funny things, it could have been legit. If you had a scale and a test kit you could get to, I would have made him a fair offer if all checked out.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I smell something fishy! So many scams like that where they tell you a sad story and ask for money. I always feel bad for the kids when they are part of the story through no fault of their own.

OP
OP
Lost&Found

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Desperation makes people do funny things, it could have been legit. If you had a scale and a test kit you could get to, I would have made him a fair offer if all checked out.

Could of been legit but the area I live in during August and September is flooded by transient scam artists who want to seal your driveway, fix dents to your car, etc. The jewelry offer was a new one for me and the out of state plates was a big red flag

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could of been legit but the area I live in during August and September is flooded by transient scam artists who want to seal your driveway, fix dents to your car, etc. The jewelry offer was a new one for me and the out of state plates was a big red flag

I know the type of which you speak. The 'traveller' type.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
My brother in law fell for this two months ago. Out of town (county) plates and there was a family inside the van. Same story and they just wanted to fill up the gas tank to get back home. They wanted $100 for an 18K ring, he was suspicious and told them he would only risk $15 and would come looking for them if it was fake(that's my brother in law!). The ring was gold plated brass marked 750 and 18k.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a guy in the parking lot a couple months ago when I was getting groceries, He asked me if I want to buy a gold necklace for hundred dollars! I told him that he has really bad luck because out of every single person in the whole entire parking lot he could have talked to, he walked up to me! No one else there would have any clue, but he randomly picks a guy who buys gold jewelry all the time. I told him it's fake and I'm not falling for that garbage. He insisted to argue with me that it was real. It was so large if it was real it would have $3-4K worth of gold!

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I smell something fishy! So many scams like that where they tell you a sad story and ask for money. I always feel bad for the kids when they are part of the story through no fault of their own.

^^ This. The older I get, the more I trust my gut instinct.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good call, I truly trust NOONE but my family. Gotta keep those gut instincts

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a fat 14k chain once for $20 off a guy after repossesing his rent to own tv. Of course it was Liberty City, 1987 and he was a crackhead. Today? Forget about it. I wouldn't even be in that part of town.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard a few from strangers I've run into over the years on the road. I need to get some quick cash so I can visit my dying mother in NY, The women will say, I got this Rolex in a divorce settlement and I care little about it and just wanna get rid of it and the one you were hit with, I don't care if I loose money on it, I just need to buy my kids some new shoes... There's Hustlers everywhere.

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds similar to something that happened to my uncle. Had a sailor come up to him and said he need a $100 and was short on cash "Would you like to buy my coin collection" and pulled out a sleeve full of different old "dollar coins". My uncle bought them and it turned out they were all fakes. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread