Dumb Garage Sale Sellers

1treasurehunter1

Feb 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Garrett Sea Hunter MK2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone,

I once came across an ad on craigslist and someone was selling "jewelry store inventory leftovers", with 10k and 14k gold included, for $5 each. I told her that I would pay her more, way more since $5 each on gold is super low, judging by the pictures, there was $10,000 - $15,000 in melt...her response: "first come first served". So basically she is willing to let it all go for $2000 lets say, when I could pay her thousands more, wtf...?? Why are people so dumb? This was a couple of months ago but have you ever had a similar experience with those "first come first served" types? They are seriously willing to throw away that much money? I don't get it.

I ended up going to the sale, however some guy beat me to it as he was an early bird, even though her ad stated "no early birds". One of my worst garage sale experiences.

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To clarify, were you offering her more because you wanted to buy it all in advance of her garage sale? I'm trying to understand why you offered to pay more when you could have gotten it for less...

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe it was a ruse to get more attention/customers.

OP
OP

1treasurehunter1

Feb 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To clarify, were you offering her more because you wanted to buy it all in advance of her garage sale? I'm trying to understand why you offered to pay more when you could have gotten it for less...

In advance.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She is full of bull - don't fret your lost 'free gold'

OP
OP

1treasurehunter1

Feb 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are right. Literally, how many jewelers don't know what a refiner is? If she had gold she wouldn't have sold it for $5 each. Sounds like bull.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too good to be true. Sounds like she was burned and is trying to dump her mistake. By selling it well below gold melt value no one can claim fraud for selling fake gold.

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone,

I once came across an ad on craigslist and someone was selling "jewelry store inventory leftovers", with 10k and 14k gold included, for $5 each. I told her that I would pay her more, way more since $5 each on gold is super low, judging by the pictures, there was $10,000 - $15,000 in melt...her response: "first come first served". So basically she is willing to let it all go for $2000 lets say, when I could pay her thousands more, wtf...?? Why are people so dumb? This was a couple of months ago but have you ever had a similar experience with those "first come first served" types? They are seriously willing to throw away that much money? I don't get it.

I ended up going to the sale, however some guy beat me to it as he was an early bird, even though her ad stated "no early birds". One of my worst garage sale experiences.

Quite your whining! Peoples ignorance is what keeps many of us doing what we do. Yes it sucks that you missed out on a windfall but there's no shortage of stupid people out there! No early birds? Doesn't mean you cant show up early and make sure you're first one there.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a snake oil ad to me. She told everyone that the guy before them bought it all. People may be dumb sellers but I have NEVER seen anyone turn down More MONEY. She had nothing to deliver. IMO

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread