Unique Asian Art, What Exactly Is It

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday was a odd day for me; I had to work but I could go in whenever I felt like it, as long as the job was completed. Since my destination opened after 10AM, I opted to hit a few sales first.

At one of my last stops, I found a garage sale that appeared to be a total waste of time. Lots of junky stuff and women's clothing. After a bit of searching, I found a handful of old wrenches, 5lbs of solid brass wood screws and this little drawing.

I'm really not sure what it is or what you would call it. I think it's a painting but don't know what sort of medium. The person would appear to be Chinese but I'm not sure. All I know is that it's really old as set me back a whole dollar!

Attachments

• IMG_5025.JPG
    IMG_5025.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 112
  • IMG_5026.JPG
    IMG_5026.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 95

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does look Chinese (definitely not Japanese) but that hat looks more Siamese or another Asian culture near there.

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't tell for sure, but looks like Pith Paper Art. https://www.asba-art.org/article/botanica-collected-pith-paper-collections-harvard I found 8 small ones in a flea market for $8.00. they were from the late 19th and I got $350. from a buyer in China for all 8

That's exactly what i have! I did some looking on ebay and it would seem, like all art, subject matter is key!! People or multiple persons is what drives the value up but this portrait isn't getting sold. I've already hung it on my wall and it looks fantastic.

Thanks again for a quick ID. I would of never even known where to start with identification.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, nice score for sure and a great ID by tamrock!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI, If for some reason you wanna remove it from the frame, be very careful. That paper is very fragile and brittle. It's over 100 years old. Some of the ones I had fell apart, but the images were all intact.

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is definitely Chinese. Congrats on a great find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread