diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this very cool Zenith Swiss made Ball clock on Friday at an estate sale. Besides the price, the best thing is it actually works. Worst thing is, it has an old repair from where it was dropped or something years ago. You can see it on the photo that shows the bottom. I these date to the 1920's or 30's. I don't know how to open it and I don't want to try. I'm afraid if I unscrew that screw, with my luck some spring is gonna pop off and I'll never get it back together again. It winds by pulling up and spinning it, I guess. I did that accidentally and found out it worked. Well it kept time for several hours on a small spin anyway.

edit- bad photos. It is actually a 3 toned light, medium and dark blue enamel. No white anywhere.

IMG_4728 (1201x1280).jpg IMG_4724 (1188x1280).jpg IMG_4736 (1126x1280).jpg IMG_4730 (1280x1076).jpg

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool piece!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a very interesting piece. I’ve seen ball pendant watches But not this form. I can’t judge the size of it. How big?

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a very interesting piece. I’ve seen ball pendant watches But not this form. I can’t judge the size of it. How big?
It's just over 2" in diameter. The other ones I've seen have a Zenith marked clock face. This one says E. Gubelin Lucerne.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's super awesome. I have a thing about buying those small clocks like that. I'm sure it would have a jeweled 8 day movement and having the Gubelin name on it increases the value further. They're like the Tiffany of Switzerland. How do you wind and set it? I don't think unscrewing it's gonna get you in any trouble, but don't blame me if it does. I took a vintage Dunhill rollar lighter apart because the Flint was stuck in it. I had to get a drill bit to ream it out and now I can't figure how to hold the spings and tiny parts to get it all back together? I put it all in a little baggie and maybe I'll mess with it later?. I Can't believe all the tiny little parts that thing has.

Last edited:
OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's super awesome. I have a thing about buying those small clocks like that. I'm sure it would have a jeweled 8 day movement and having the Gubelin name on it increases the value further. They're like the Tiffany of Switzerland. How do you wind and set it? I don't think unscrewing it's gonna get you in any trouble, but don't blame me if it does. I took a vintage Dunhill rollar lighter apart because the Flint was stuck in it. I had to get a drill bit to ream it out and now I can't figure how to hold the spings and tiny parts to get it all back together? I put it all in a little baggie and maybe I'll mess with it later?. I Can't believe all the tiny little parts that thing has.
LOL,That's what I'm talking about. I'm good at taking things apart, it's the putting them back together that usually gets me. I watched a video of one with a guy that sounds just like Gary Drayton. It shows how to wind and set it and talks about taking it apart. However I can't figure out how to set mine. I don't know if it's because there is something wrong with it or if I'm doing something wrong or if it's because it's not a Zenith brand watch. The crystal popped off accidentally (with minimal effort) when I was messing with it. Didn't break and pops back on but doesn't really stay. Found a couple more small spots of damage. I'm gonna list it at auction tonight with a $300 starting bid and see if it goes. Here it is if you wanna watch it...

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3c6_1470013431

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting clock find!:occasion14:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok don't unscrew it. That's pretty nifty the way you wind and set it. Definitely a unique clu-za-nae clock. Yeah you should achieve $300 I'm thinking. Maybe more??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread