Electrical question on old milkshake mixer

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve never seen one of these before. I picked this up today. Cords not original. It does work. However my tester reads hot on the casing and on the cup. Is that because there’s no ground? Or is it a problem with the neutral? I’ve been lit up by an old fan so I want to ask you guys before I play with this anymore.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1541287464.986744.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1541287487.363877.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1541287504.846706.jpg

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster and MXT, sluice
Looks like a hot neutral. Backwards wired in plug, case, or somewhere along the in house wiring for that socket. Do you have a plug tester?

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a hot neutral. Backwards wired in plug, case, or somewhere along the in house wiring for that socket. Do you have a plug tester?

Yes but i think it only plugs into an outlit. Cant plug anything into it. I guess that’s only to wires so it shouldn’t be too hard to figure out. Maybe.

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You say the appliance cord was replaced so my guess is that it was reversed there and not the correct cord/plug setup. Very dangerous situation. From the picture it appears to be a simple lamp cord and it is not of the right size or type for an appliance.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You say the appliance cord was replaced so my guess is that it was reversed there and not the correct cord/plug setup. Very dangerous situation. From the picture it appears to be a simple lamp cord and it is not of the right size or type for an appliance.

I would say its a lamp cord as well.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As an electrician diagnosing this from my easy chair I would say that it is a unpolarized and ungrounded attachment plug on the appliance and it could be as easy as unplugging it and flipping the corded plug over and that should fix it up.modern ungrounded male cord ends have a oversized neutral prong that will only insert into an outlet that likewise he the oversized neutral opening to accept the neutral prong of the cord.I would change the cord if that's the case.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As an electrician diagnosing this from my easy chair I would say that it is a unpolarized and ungrounded attachment plug on the appliance and it could be as easy as unplugging it and flipping the corded plug over and that should fix it up.modern ungrounded male cord ends have a oversized neutral prong that will only insert into an outlet that likewise he the oversized neutral opening to accept the neutral prong of the cord.I would change the cord if that's the case.

Sounds good. I will change that out. Half to find a solder gun to borrow from somebody.

Thank you all for the help!

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also some of those volt sticks are sensitive and can beep falsely based on bleed off voltage through contact.....use an actual volt meter on the unpainted part of the case to A known grounded source. Much more reliable than a volt stick.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep they wired it incorrectly

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get your wife or least favorite kid to do the tongue test like you would with a 9v battery

(No not really)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread