Sterling at four sales!

HistoryTeacher

Mar 9, 2017
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garage sales in my part of town are cut-throat with highly competitive pickers and treasure hunters. Because I can never go to Friday sales (job), I am usually picking over the leftovers by Saturday morning. In March and April, though, there are so many sales that no one can hit them all. On this past Saturday, I struck out on three sales in row. I was greeted at the fourth by an older woman who seemed to have had an antique booth once upon a time and was liquidating. The prices were high, and I was about to leave when I saw three Ziploc bags of silverware. The first one I picked up I immediately saw, "Sterling." I tried to keep on my poker face, but if all of the pieces were sterling then I was looking at a huge haul. I got the six butter knives (Pat. 1895), spoon, and Chinese tea? spoon plus 6 R. Wallace silverplate butter knives (which it turns out were a better buy than the sterling ones) for $25.00 (about 162 grams). Not a great deal, but the silverplated knives should bring me another $50. The other two bags turned out to be junk silverplate, and she wanted $50.00 a bag for them so they stayed with her.

The next sale was the typical mugs, glasses and kids clothes, but the owner told me about her neighbor's sale around the corner. I got the two Preisner candlesticks and two Fisher salt and peppers for a total of $4.00.

The pair of earrings and the pendant were a total of $1.50 at another sale.

At the last sale, I got the sterling footed bowl and pitcher for $16.00. I don't think there is much silver weight on either, but I think they will sell okay. And I liked them. Overall, not a huge haul, but enough to get me up early again next Saturday.

Anyone know anything about the Chinese tea spoon?

all haul _edited-1.jpg
China sterling_edited-1.jpg
pitcher_edited-1.jpg
IMG_1325_edited-1.jpg

Peace

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great silver haul. I got the exact same footed bowl this weekend too!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice stuff, thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread