My Ace 250 is no match for this place.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Within the limits of Baltimore City is Leakin Park. The town of Dickeysville (formerly Wetheredsville) is well embedded into the northwest corner of the park. If you take Wetheredsville Road into Dickeysville and continue until the road is blocked, you'll find yourself in one of the oldest inhabited places this side of the bay, yet to this day you are still "in the sticks". I hunted the woods there a bit with no success.

The reason I bring this area up is that the road seems to be paved with silver. :o

On both sides of Wetheredsville Road, I mean right at the edge, I get continuous "dime and higher" signals on my Ace 250. There's some sort of black gravel there that sets my detector off and the only way to stop the constant ringing is to go a few yards into the woods.

This is not an issue of a "trashy area". The detector will ring silver for as long as you swing it along the road, on both sides, even down to 2 bars sensitivity.

What is going on? What detector can overcome this frustrating place?

Now Shhhh! Don't tell anybody!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the "road" gravel as minerals in it --its called a "hot rocks" type issue -- they will ring up as metal to the Ace 250 * the best way to try and beat it is to go to "custom mode" then notch out starting with iron and work your way wards up till it settles out * (no longer picks up the "background" hot rocks ) --
--this "issue" often occurs in the wet areas of salt water beaches and near powerlines and EMI sources as well ---often times you might have to drop to 2 -3 sen level on wet beach sand to aviod the minerals causing the machine to "false" --its because the Ace 250 is so "touchy" that it thinks of these minerals as metal --the only cure is to make it less "touchy" or sensitive so that it no longer reacts to the "background" minerals " or source of emi inferferance ( like "close by" power lines ) :wink:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ivan nailed it. The Ace just sees the "hot rocks" as a good target. The Minelabs won't see these hot rocks at all but it is touchy to try to adjust the simple detectors to this degree. Another solution is to use a PI, but this opens another can of worms.

GShoch

Mar 23, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's in front of my house and the trolley tracks run parallel to the stone retaining wall and were clearly visible until the city covered them in blacktop. Could that have been what you were picking up?

Welcome to Dickeyville, IMHO one of the best and most interesting neighborhoods ever. The natives are friendly and very much interested in our history!

And yes I'm fully aware the original post is quite old but couldn't resist chiming in.

Within the limits of Baltimore City is Leakin Park. The town of Dickeysville (formerly Wetheredsville) is well embedded into the northwest corner of the park. If you take Wetheredsville Road into Dickeysville and continue until the road is blocked, you'll find yourself in one of the oldest inhabited places this side of the bay, yet to this day you are still "in the sticks". I hunted the woods there a bit with no success.

The reason I bring this area up is that the road seems to be paved with silver. :o

On both sides of Wetheredsville Road, I mean right at the edge, I get continuous "dime and higher" signals on my Ace 250. There's some sort of black gravel there that sets my detector off and the only way to stop the constant ringing is to go a few yards into the woods.

This is not an issue of a "trashy area". The detector will ring silver for as long as you swing it along the road, on both sides, even down to 2 bars sensitivity.

What is going on? What detector can overcome this frustrating place?

Now Shhhh! Don't tell anybody!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread