Iron Targets?

SilverThumb

Aug 6, 2009
Been using my Ace 250 for about 2.5 weeks now in my back yard and 1 beach hunt. As im trying to learn my machine and digging the "Perfect" plugs ;D.

My house was built in 1940, so i figured there had to be some silver there some where, but i have not found it yet.

A ton of my finds are registering in the penny or dime and out pops a nail screw or piece of aluminum.

Im hunting in jewelery mode at about 6 bars of sensitivity. Should i just go all metal and dig everything? (im sure i know the answer to this but im asking anyway)

But i do notice that alot of iron comes up on the screen, are there any targets worth digging for that come under that low iron tone? Or will it be mostly always trash?

I read something about stomping on the ground to disrupt the "halo" would that help for what im describing?

I did find my first wheatie (1951) :headbang:

Heres the post from all of my findings if you would like to see what im digging up.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,340205.msg2448943.html#msg2448943

Thanks for any advice and HH

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
None of the "smart" detectors (those with screens) tell you what is in the ground, only what it COULD BE based on it's conductivity. If the iron is near a good coin you won't know the coin is there as this is what is called target masking. You would have to remove all the iron to have the detector see the coins or use a Minelab Sov GT or such which ignores iron and doesn't just disc it out. Two different things. Breaking the Halo effect will have the detector report with a better signal of what it was. Also since the Ace doesn't have an adujustable ground balance, if your ground is more minerilized it will report more iron like hot rocks. Many times you disc out the hot rocks you lose to much depth.

OP
OP
S

SilverThumb

Aug 6, 2009
Would you suggest perhaps turning down the sensitivity, going into all metal mode and just dig everything to kind of clear the surface or near surface trash?

OP
OP
S

SilverThumb

Aug 6, 2009
Im guessing this is normal since no one is chiming in, i'll just keep on diggin!!!

HH

relicswinger

Jun 19, 2008
There is value to digging all targets in all metal mode, but only if you take notes. I have dug everything in my yard and took notes with a post-it note pad on the side of my detector. Since my memory is not good enough to keep track of everything, the notes help find patterns. I swing along until I find a target. I write what the detector says it is, it's depth, etc. I then swing the detector to form an X over the target to see if there are any variations in the readings. I note the changes in readings if any on the post-it. I wrap the target in the post-it note. One thing I have found is that if my detector indicates that the target is a quarter when swinging side to side but gives different readings when X-ing, then it is usually a beer bottle cap. Also if you get different readings going side to side and X-ing you probably have two targets in close proximity. Dig one, rescan, dig the next target. In fact, always rescan when digging targets since there may be more than one item in the hole. Have fun learning...

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
SilverThumb said:
A ton of my finds are registering in the penny or dime and out pops a nail screw or piece of aluminum.

I'm hunting in jewelery mode at about 6 bars of sensitivity. Should i just go all metal and dig everything? (I'm sure i know the answer to this but I'm asking anyway)

But i do notice that alot of iron comes up on the screen, are there any targets worth digging for that come under that low iron tone?

Lots of times balled up foil or bent pull tabs will signal as a coin. Nails like to signal high then low. The signal will bounce back and forth between high and low. Sometimes even just the nail head will signal a coin. One thing you can do when you find a target is swing back and forth and then rotate 90 degrees and swing again. If the signal stays consistent then it very well may be a coin. But, if the signal does not stay consistent it may be junk. Also, if a target is deeper the signal will be less consistent. My advise is to keep digging the signals you have been to learn what the machine is telling you. It took me close to a year to really learn what the machine is telling me. For the sensitivity: if the machine starts to sound like a pinball machine then your sensitivity is too high. It will do this in trashy areas. For the iron: there's tons of iron in the ground. Most of it is junk and all of it is rusty. But, some iron things are cool. Old tools, pot hooks, axe heads, gun parts, etc... I usually won't dig iron unless I'm relic hunting in the open woods digging every signal. Coolest iron find for me is a ball mold for making musket balls.

Good Luck.
-Swartzie

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of iron is wanted items and the more iron you accept the more chance of gold. At present just about anything good will be being masked out by rubbish items so why not treat it as a training opportunity and remove the rubbish ?
This will also give you the opportunity to create a test bed to hone your skills on.

Attachments

• keyssmall.jpg
    keyssmall.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 182

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread