deepsecrets

Jan 10, 2009
Shenandoah Valley Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always been a Whites user, got my first back in 1973, but now I'm thinking of buying an AT Pro or AT Gold. Since there is not a real big difference in cost, I would turn to the Garrett users to offer an opinion on which to choose. I'm looking for a superior all-round detector, water-proof/resistant, and good depth. Most of the area here is good for colonial and CW relic hunting, but also some gold in the mountain streams too. Any advice will be most welcome!

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The AT-Pro is a good detector. Some folks have had issues with falsing and leaking. Some haven't, me included. It is a deep detector, easily hitting on coin size targets at 8" - 10" deep. It ground balances, so mineralized soil can be handled. It's waterproof to 10' and can be used in salt water.

The AT-Gold is new, so nobody here can give you a true consumer report on it. Based on the information available, it's along the same line as the Pro regarding being waterproof, rugged built and light weight. It is waterproof to 10', but not made for salt water use. It's advertised as being a good relic and small gold machine, with automatic ground balance for the mineralized soil.

If you plan on using it for relic and gold and have NO desire to detect in salt water, I'd get the AT-Gold, if you think you want to relic hunt and detect at the beach, in the salt water, then you need the AT-Pro.

There are also lots of Pulse Induction machines out there that make killer relic and gold machines. The downside to them are few are waterproof, can't really descriminate well (you'll dig lots of nails), but the depth and ability to to see through the bad dirt is second to none.

If the family CFO gives me the funds to procure a new detector, I'll consider the AT-Gold and an Infinium L/S.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The AT Gold doesn't come out till Oct. You can pre order it thru me and review it for us! lol

Seriously, If you need any help feel free to ask. Love to help you!

Bart

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I'll state the obvious: the stock coil with the AT Pro is larger so more depth is quite likely. Of course add'l coils can be bought for both.

I saw a couple AT Gold videos where the detector is making almost constant noises & it looks like they didn't find anything over about 3" deep. But I don't know if they were truly experts, how things were set, if they didn't go over any deep coins, etc. Apparently the trash was extreme. If they hadn't been doing a video, maybe they would've picked up surface trash, swept slower, etc.

Perhaps one could understand the differences & similarities better by going to their website & reading the manuals. Best wishes & HH, George (MN)

hgordon906

Greenie
Sep 24, 2011
Upper Peninsula, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer / Garrett AT Pro
Most notably;

AT PRO AT GOLD
15kHz 18kHz
8.5x11 coil 5x8coil

Higher frequency on the gold for enhanced detection of smaller objects (like gold nuggets) and smaller coil to aid in mineralized soils.

From a data standpoint, the AT Pro will go deeper, and the AT Gold will find smaller items. How significant a difference there is, is unknown to me as I have not yet had the change to use the AT Gold. I'd be willing to wager that unless someone was going to spend considerable time doing actual prospecting for native gold, that they would be better equipped with the Pro.

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The AT Pro seems to have a lot of ongoing problems and the AT Gold is unproven as a gold detector.
The Pro will work in saltwater, the Gold will not.
If you must buy one of these machines then go the Pro for coin and relic and salt beaches.
Go the Gold for coin, relic and gold detecting except in salt beaches.

I have seen a few vids of the AT Gold detecting nuggets on the surface but not in the ground at any depth. I for one would hold off on the AT Gold until I have seen that it performs well on gold in high iron mineralisation.

ezzz1

Oct 5, 2011
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75,Teknetic 8000, At pro , At gold,Tesoro Sabre Compass X-80,fisher cd3z, goldbug2 , Garrett 250 ace 150 ,Fisher F-5,fisher 553,Teknetic 2000,fisher f4 Tesoro lobo,, silver Umax, ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can hold out for the gold it will be worth it.Their are several people through out the U.S. who already have them that are field testing them right now, I am one of the lucky one. I have found a small piece of gold just smaller than the size of a BB at 4 inches. i was amazed at the depth.
Next week i am going for a week to a high mineral area in north Ga.
I will post some pictures later

Attachments

• 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 280

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love that pic Ezzz!! I have a few in stock. Hot sellers!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread