Where is the center of the Garrett 250 with a DD Search Coil?

toysoldier2

Mar 14, 2012
Pigeon Forge, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250, Teknetics Alpha, Treasure Commander TC2X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Infector101

Mar 20, 2012
Lake Wallenpaupack, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recently (yesterday) started using my 10" x 14" DD Excelerator Coil with my Ace 250 and I found that the easiest thing to do was to pinpoint side to side. When the pinpoint peaks it's right in the middle of the DD coil (where the two halves meet so to speak), then you want to turn 90 degrees and pinpoint side to side again. If you need to, scratch a line in the ground with your shovel to mark the first pinpoint. This worked fantastically for me. I was able to dig a four inch holes and find the target right in the middle. Good luck, I hope this helps. HH

OP
OP
toysoldier2

toysoldier2

Mar 14, 2012
Pigeon Forge, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks. I am familiar with the current pin-pointing methods. But unfortunately, my coil is a standard GARRETT 8.5 X 11 Ace Performance DD Search Coil. The video that I saw had a representative from GARRETT that said the center was above the DD coil, not in the middle of it. I guess I will just have to go out and see for myself.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's in the first rectangle above the rod. The easiest way to test is to place a coin on the grass and practice swinging over it. Remember to move away from the target 5-6 inches, press pinpoint, thenswing back over the target. When the bars are fullest, it should be right under the first rectangle on the coil above the rod.

Some people drag a DD coil back away from the target, when it stops responding , it should then be at the tip of the coil.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
The best place to find where the centre of the coil (for pin-pointing I presume) on YOUR coil is to plant a penny a couple of inches under the coil, push the pinpoint button and listen for the strongest audio or look for the most number of notches. You can also pinpoint off the inner toe of a concentric coil. See the diagram below. I actually put a dot in the centre using ink white-out.

Attachments

• pinpointing.jpg
    pinpointing.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 184
OP
OP
toysoldier2

toysoldier2

Mar 14, 2012
Pigeon Forge, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks. I'll try that and see what happens. That pretty much matches what I saw on the YOUTUBE video.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread