AT Pro question for the pros

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well, generally speaking, screen TID might not work for deeper targets. You shoud check that by using proportional audio and/or pinpoint the area to look for the signal's origin. It can also occur in iron trash, and especially when the coil passes near a disced out target.

Nothing to worry about.

Grumpy

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, generally speaking, screen TID might not work for deeper targets. You shoud check that by using proportional audio and/or pinpoint the area to look for the signal's origin. It can also occur in iron trash, and especially when the coil passes near a disced out target.

Nothing to worry about.

Grumpy

Great reply! If its descend repeatable audio though, better dig it! Those can be good ones!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really deep targets sometimes give a signal but no number on my AT. It doesnt happen often.

OP
OP
kayden

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys for the replies .....I started to think maybe I had a bad 1 or I just didnt have it ground balanced properly!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
kayden it sounds like you need to do more testing, use various coins buried two to four or even six inches deep. Learn the audio response of these targets. Do Not Use Standard Mode on the atpro. Go pro mode custom, notch out all below seventy and run sense at 4 max and iron scrim at 30 or so, until you get used to it. When you say beep, you understand you need good solid repeatable beep in all directions at any sweep speed, you understand, beep beep beep beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, it wont stop beeping no matter what you do, no matter how you swipe the target, no matter what direction you swipe the target. Beep, beep, beep beep good target, beep, not worried about numbers, beeep, beeeep, beeeep, no matter what, good target. Stop looking at the friken numbers and you yourself will soon be a pro. I promise. A number on a screen should never influence choice to dig for newbies or old timers with new machines.

mrmackin

Aug 1, 2012
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kayden it sounds like you need to do more testing, use various coins buried two to four or even six inches deep. Learn the audio response of these targets. Do Not Use Standard Mode on the atpro. Go pro mode custom, notch out all below seventy and run sense at 4 max and iron scrim at 30 or so, until you get used to it. When you say beep, you understand you need good solid repeatable beep in all directions at any sweep speed, you understand, beep beep beep beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, it wont stop beeping no matter what you do, no matter how you swipe the target, no matter what direction you swipe the target. Beep, beep, beep beep good target, beep, not worried about numbers, beeep, beeeep, beeeep, no matter what, good target. Stop looking at the friken numbers and you yourself will soon be a pro. I promise. A number on a screen should never influence choice to dig for newbies or old timers with new machines.

This is very good, accurate, useful advice.:icon_thumright:

ddmac60

May 10, 2012
Rotonda West, Fl / Milford, Ct
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the great advice. Just got thru the first few hours with the AT Pro, and had some of the same issues. Am now looking forward to going out again with these new settings.

2curious

Sep 4, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gleaner is right on! Took my atpro outta the box yesterday, set it according to his directions and it worked beautifully! Did not have time to hunt, was just testing in 4-6" holes with coins and gold/silver jewelry. The tones were clear and high were they should be, and the iron rung low...I don't pay much attention to the ID screen, I just listen to the machine. It will tell you everything you need...And when in doubt, DIG!!!!!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
For advanced atpro users or any seasoned guys, set as follows: Use the max sense that you can, my soil is mild, I run all bars, even in the trash. Check gb carefully. Use pro mode. Set up the Custom Pro mode to zero regular scrim, and set the iron scrim to zero too. Now you can use the very good three tone audio of the machine with confidence, it is superb at not popping on iron crap like nails and anything rusty, you will get a good low iron skwawk most of the time on regular iron crap, very good stability. Slow the sweep down a bit, search carefully, its fast but not lightning fast. The machine can handle iron very well in the audio department, it is stable and anything remotely non ferrous will pop thru higher pitch invoking further investigation. Remember, make sure iron audio is OFF with these settings because iron audio ON will make iron crap (range 1 to 40) sound mid tone. You will know iron audio is accidentally ON because the machine will sound off in mid tone all the time, which is not normal, you should be hearing a symphony of low tone iron. Just remember iron audio OFF in these settings and you will be okay. Listen to the trash and you will have a significant advantage at hearing treasure.

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine does that sometimes when I run it as hot as it will go and picks up a target with the depth maxed out..... I think maybe it is hitting a signal so deep but the TDI can not process a number for it (?)... I've ditched the Lesche digger for a shovel a few times and it was down there!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
No number looking allowed :laughing7:. The atpro will dig 8" deep shredded hunks of alum cans and big hunks of flattened lead pipes and big die cast zinc crap and big brass or copper sheet crap. It just cant be avoided, it sounds pretty good so it gets dug, numbers notwithstanding.

paulm777

Sep 5, 2012
Mississippi, Gulf coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No number looking allowed :laughing7:. The atpro will dig 8" deep shredded hunks of alum cans and big hunks of flattened lead pipes and big die cast zinc crap and big brass or copper sheet crap. It just cant be avoided, it sounds pretty good so it gets dug, numbers notwithstanding.

I'm new to MD'ing using the AT Pro & an Automax v4 precision V4 pin-pointer. (Trying to sweet talk my wife into letting me get the Garrett pro pin-pointer.) Our beach is not totally clean after the last hurricane came through and I'm wore out from digging everything and bending over about every 3 feet. 99% of the high beeps are aluminum cans or tops, bits of steel and so on. I am curious if you do watch the numbers on the display when it finds a target and they are 99 - does this mean it's probably nothing to worry about? I hear you guys say not to pay attention to the display and listen mostly to the sounds. Which I am learning when it's a coin makes a different sound *buh-beeeep* - but am still trying to distinguish digging every bit of iron out of the ground. Thanks in advance!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
The pro is a good lower end vlf with typical display screen and id and depth numbers. On computerized machines, you need a screen to set the settings, but that is all. Depth meters and ID numbers are redundant, if not wrong, and never help anyone get very good at tecting. These silly useless numbers on a screen make it much more difficult actually. Use your ears. You hear? Especially with decent multi tone machines. I run as low scrim as possible, and I never look at screens. All you care about or need to know is in there, in the audio. Just listen to it. Its right there, in your ears. This is rudimentary tecting knowlege. Let's get back to basics. The basics state simply that audio trumps video. When you learn to listen, you learn tectin.

mortarman

Aug 12, 2012
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Teknetics Omega 8500, Garrett Master Hunter 7, Garrett Pro-pointer/ Stavr Scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a great thread. I have a Tesoro Vaquero and have been seriously thinking of getting a more advanced machine for my go to detector and using the V as a back up. I think I will go for the AT pro. The videos I've watched and threads I've read including this one has helped make my decision. Thanks guys!

paulm777

Sep 5, 2012
Mississippi, Gulf coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you gleaner, i appreciate your in depth, helpful explanations. I received my Garrett Pro pointer a few days ago. Am currently looking for older homes down in southern Mississippi now. Digging clad and bottle caps has taught me some basics. I've stuck with pro mode from the start. I ran coin mode and probably should of ran custom mode as you describe above. I'll give it some time and hopefully find something older than 1964 :).

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
All three of the pro modes, custom, coin, and zero, can be set in any way, and no matter what settings are set in any given mode, the other two modes can be set up exactly the same way with the buttons. But only custom settings are memorized after shut off. If you are in an area with a lot of newer zinc cents, use the auto reject function to scrim 'em out, for a more satisfying atpro experience.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread