Coil upgrade for ace 250 ?

The Silver Pirate

Nov 27, 2011
Ridgeland, MS
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX, DFX, XLT, Whites Prizm IV, Tesoro DeLeon, Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Other
**DISCLAIMER** This is just my opinion from my past experience, others may agree or disagree:

From what I have experienced, a smaller DD is better than a larger DD for me. Bigger coils can go deeper as we know, and cover more ground per sweep. However, I have found that a bigger coil will have a harder time picking up a smaller signal. To me, either would be good for relics/coins. If you are looking for gold nuggets, which can sometimes be very small like a BB, a smaller coil is better for that. the 8.5x11 DD is a fantastic coil, as is the Excelerator. We also know that in trashy areas that could be littered with pull tabs and can-slaw, a smaller 4x6DD is the ticket because it can pick out a dime sitting 2" from a pull tab. On the other hand, if you are deep in the woods in an area that could have been a civil war camp site, a medium size coil would be fine (this is assuming that in the deep deep woods, you would hardly come across a twist cap or soda can.

Having said that, if you are cache hunting, a larger coil would be great. Because you will be looking for a jar of coins that someone buried 2 feet deep!! What I am attempting to say, is that it really depends on the location, terrain, and what you are looking for. This is why many people have (and bring with them on every hunt) an assortment of coils to choose from.

Sorry it wasn't the answer you were looking for, but this is just my opinion. Good luck!

And don't forget this tip: When you find a target and dig it, after you pull that nice coin out, rescan the hole. I have pulled several coins from the same hole this way. They could have spilled their whole pocket at one time!

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

willybe

Jun 2, 2012
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250, GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks. Sounds like i need or at least want two. Coils. Lol...i ha e places deep would be nice nut a small coil would be nice to

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You must be very careful regarding the larger one : your Garrett 250 has NO ground balance setting, and a HUGE coil will see several times more ground (worse : sometimes more BAD ground) than a smaller one, resulting in awful things like for instance falsing or losing depth.

Just go for it if you are sure that the areas you search are free of minerals (easy grounds).

HH

Grumpy

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If i were you id have the stock dd coil that comes on the ace 350...its plenty good enough i use it more then any of my other coils i have the sniper 4 inch and a nels big 15x17...id take the stock dd coil any day of the week

The Silver Pirate

Nov 27, 2011
Ridgeland, MS
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX, DFX, XLT, Whites Prizm IV, Tesoro DeLeon, Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes. Usually stock coils are a great "general purpose" coil, engineered specifically for THAT brand, and THAT model, based on the capabilities of THAT machine.

OP
OP
W

willybe

Jun 2, 2012
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250, GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks for all the help probably the smaller DD or the sniper for the type of areas i hunt... here in KY I have had know problem
going 6 to 8 inches with the stock coil... glad i am starting to understand, when its lying to me, digging deep to find can when it showing a dime is know fun .... a couple times i thought i was going to have to barrow a backhoe.:icon_thumright:

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i use the 8.5x11 dd coil on my 250 and it works great i have found several nice things with it the depth is pretty good ive chased a bb around at 8 inches

shefu

Jul 7, 2012
mn
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 w/10"x14" DD Excelerator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 10"x14" DD Excelerator on my ace 250 and it is great. I use it with the sens at 6 and when i'm getting an iffy signal, I bump it up as I'm sweeping. Works a lot better than the stock coil for target separation. Goes at least 1 inch deeper with better coverage. I sweep one way and then the other for pinpointing. Above 6 sens the thing will sometimes go a little nuts even if you hold it up in the air so I will only use the last two sens when I know that I'm over a target.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I emailed Garrett and talked to them and they told me to go with the 5x8 DD coil for my 250.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread