Should I buy an At Pro or At Gold...

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How would you have less performance for coins using the ATG, trackerman? Seems you'd have a better chance of detecting coins with the higher kHz. Or is it that coins are found better with a lower kHz?
Just a question is all. I've found several coins and deep with the ATG and the standard coil.

Usually lower frequency detectors are better for silver and coins such as dimes quarters than higher frequency detectors. The At Pro does have a lower frequency than the At gold . But at 15klhz the At Pro is also very sensitive to Gold jewelry as well.

The At Gold is also a very good detector but it would depend on ones needs .
Beaches lakes coins jewelry prospecting At pro/ or prospecting jewelry coins lakes At Gold

Last edited:

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That was why I went ATG over Pro. Hunting gold was an addl plus. Plus I'm not beach hunting (salt water wise). I don't think I've found any less coins than the Pro would have. Though I've also dug up a lot of trash. I found both pennies and quarters at about 8". There was a video done on YouTube by a guy. His site is Peacehavens. His video goes over the kHz and how they work on the coins. He's got a Deus. They can change kHz by hitting button. Try watching his vids. Ged finds a lot of coins. I'll go and find his vid and try to post it here.
I think my family is needing another detector. Got five kids plus the misses. So either I hurry and save up for a gold bug or maybe the Tesoro. Or I get an AT Pro as well. That way enough detectors for kids and me. I need to get around four total. If my wife gets involved, then I need 5 more. Sure is a great hobby. Just hits the wallet. Lol
Back to the detectors.
Make sure if you get the ATPro, to watch the videos about hunting in the ocean. I'd heard complaints on it about falsing a lot. The vids explain how to get past that. I'm not too certain, but I think it was done by turning down sensitivity.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's link to his video.

His xp Deus seems a really good machine. Never heard of it till I saw his vids.

slag

Jul 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those that are finding bottle caps.

If you listen. It shouldn't be a completely solid tone. There's a dual tone that sounds like a high low high tone. This is of course it's laying flat. I also think that you'd get the same tone on a ring. I've had this happen several times on tabs, caps and wire.
I got the ATG and hunt in trashy areas. It's nice to discriminate out the trash in all metal. Though I will also go over target in disc 1 and 2 to see if it doesn't beep. However, I still dig it all up. Hard on knees. Lol. I'm cleaning up the desert one cap, can, and she'll casing at a time. Still waiting on rings or flakes of gold.
Check out Bart at BigBoysHobbies. I got mine at KellyCo. Bart seems the straight shooter. I've been working out a deal with him and he's very quick to answer. (That's my two cents on that) Either way shop it.

How often do you find coins lying flat? Not too often for me. I agree, there is a tone difference, usually one of two different ways. Either its a soft, then loud blaring, then soft, or crackly, then good, then crackly again. Problem is, like you said, could be bottle cap, could be a ring, could be an odd shaped token, so you have to dig them all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread