Should I buy an At Pro or At Gold...

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
This question has probably been posted before, so I'm sorry if it has but... I am looking to get back into metal detecting after a long time out of the hobby. $600 - $700 is my budget and after doing alot of research and reading on these and other on-line forums, am leaning heavily towards the AT Pro. But then I read about the AT Gold and its "true all metal mode" with threshold adjustment and the bit of depth advantage it has and I begin to wonder which of the two it should be. I will be hunting parks, old homes and occasionally frsh water (I doubt I will ever see salt water as I live in Ohio). I really am looking for something that will find the old silver coins and some silver/gold jewelry amongst the iron and trash and thats what makes the AT Pro look so good. But I am wondering if that all metal mode and threshold gives a little more control. Again, its the old silver I want with the ability to hunt the fresh water beaches for jewelry as well.

Boy, I wish Garrett had put that "true all metal mode" with threshold adjustment on the Pro as an additional operating mode, then there would be no doubt in my mind.

Perhaps those of you who have used either or both of these machines can give me some guidance. Budget wise, if I go with the Pro, I will more than likely go for the 2-coil spring special to get that 5 x 8 DD. If I go with the Gold, I will only be able to afford the stock coil to start.

So in short, I know both machines are good with gold jewelry (I will not be doing any prospecting) But which machine is best for silver, and especially coin silver? Your input would be appreciated

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I vote for the AT Pro (15kHz) as opposed to the 18khz on the Gold. You may even get better depth with the Pro. I have seen it nail silver dimes at 6" with ease.

TomPA

Feb 13, 2011
Western PA.
Detector(s) used
F75
AT Pro Gold
Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Maybe this will help with the decision. garrett.jpg

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Like you said... If the AT Pro had a threshold and All-Metal mode, it would be perfect. I have said the same thing these last two years. I started out with a White's detector, so I was accustomed to the threshold. Going to a silent search detector took some getting used to for me. I do hunt salt water, so the Pro is my detector. I like it so well, I ended up trading in my old White's XLT for a White's TDI for my relic hunting adventures.

If I were you, and were accustomed to a threshold and wanted a true all-metal mode detector, then I wouldn't hesitate in buying the AT-Gold. Once you get it, take your tmie learning it and it'll find the silver and gold if it's there.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My biased two cents here. The AT Gold is very sensitive to small targets. All Metal may be overwhelming in trashy areas. With zero iron discrimination All Metal I've counted 15 or twenty targets on one swing. Really too fast to count them all. Of course that's what the Hi-Res iron discrimination is for and it is excellent. Remember in high trash the All Metal is too much.

If you put out a man's gold ring and a silver half at twelve inches, the gold will be louder. That said it still goes deeper on silver dimes than other detectors I have used except a pulse unit. All Metal is about two inches deeper than DISC 1 air test. This is with 5 x 8 double D coil. I think some of the depth tests you read on the other forums the ATP is using the bigger coil to get about the same depth as the ATG with the 5 x 8. But I've never tested them side by side on the same target.

I've also read about some people hitting bottle caps with the ATP. I just can't even understand this. There must be some difference between the two machines here. Maybe that's with a bigger coil again or they don't know how to use the I.A. which again I can't understand because it is so easy to use. ATG in Iron Audio will identify caps 99% of the time. The only ones are too deep to register (dig a few inches then check again) or totally rusted out.

Remember it's what features you want. If in doubt, get more.

Last edited:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For sure watch the videos at the Garrett website. There are a couple with Steve Moore in a trashy park. He puts it in All metal just to show you. And he was probably using some iron discrimination, too!!! I mean if you want every last single piece of metal it will surely get it for you. But your ears will be strained.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ATG is very sensitive to small targets. You can always turn the sensitivity down. Surprizingly in All Metal at lowest sensitivity it is less sensitive to a man's gold ring compared to DISC 1. Lowest sens in DISC1will still pick up man's gold ring at four or five inches. All Metal maybe three inches. But it's not going to ID accurately at lowest sens.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the input so far, I really appreciate it, but would like to hear from some AT Gold users, especially on how the Gold does on coin silver. The comparison chart posted by TomPa is helpful (it is also on the Garrett website) and it looks like the only two capabilities the ATP has that the Gold does not is the ability to adjust the notch and the ability to search salt water. On the other hand, the Gold has several capabilities the Pro does not, such as the all metal, threshold adjustment, and the ground balancing window. I have attached a different comparison chart on depth between the two machines and it looks like the disc 1 & 2 on the Gold have the same depth on various objects as the ATP in Pro-mode (after reading the Gold manual, it seems that the disc 1 and 2 modes are both "Pro" modes, in the sense that they operate the same way as the Pro mode does on the ATP. The Gold edges out the Pro on all compared objects while in its "all metal mode." Also, and I think this is huge, the AT Gold has the Iron Audio even when in all metal, which allows you to at least descriminate iron out while searching in the all metal mode... thats pretty significant I think.

What I would still like some input on is how the AT Gold does on silver IN THE FIELD. With its slightly higher frequency, will it loose out on silver vs the Pro? I know what the chart says, but what happens in the ground?

snipercoilgraph.jpg

Last edited:

markincypress

Apr 6, 2012
cypress texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX3030, Tesoro Tejon and Sand Shark, Fisher F75-ltd, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Higher frequency machines like the AT Gold are more sensitive to smaller gold as gold has low conductivity. Folks who use a metal detector for gold prospecting are looking for even the smallest flake of gold. Now silver on the other hand has a high conductivity and thus responds better to lower frequency machines. I know you want to make the best choice here but you stated that you would be hunting in parks, old home-sites and freshwater. If you were gold prospecting or in an area where you might routinely find small gold flakes then my choice would be the AT Gold. With what you stated as being your targeted search sites, go for the AT Pro and especially if they have a package with the standard and smaller DD coil. I use an AT Pro in hunting sites where older homes are either about to be demolished or have been demolished and have been searching these type of sites for about 8 months and have recovered over 90 silver coins. The AT Pro is really good on the silver and the VDI will run slightly higher for a silver coin as opposed to clad. Hope some AT Gold users weigh in for you.

OP
OP
H

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks to all for the input. I am fairly sure I will purchase the Pro. Then, with a little luck and a few gold rings I could also swing the At Gold to get that all metal mold, or even better... by then perhaps Garrett might release another AT series machine combining the features of both machines with the 15 kHz. While they are at it, they could add "Hi resolution" notching and release it with a new super DD coil, say 10 x 14?

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all for the input. I am fairly sure I will purchase the Pro. Then, with a little luck and a few gold rings I could also swing the At Gold to get that all metal mold, or even better... by then perhaps Garrett might release another AT series machine combining the features of both machines with the 15 kHz. While they are at it, they could add "Hi resolution" notching and release it with a new super DD coil, say 10 x 14?

Yeah - and also add the higher KHz of the ATG combined with the lower 15 on the AT so that it's a dual frequency machine too!

The cost would be well into the $1500 to $1800 range I'd imagine! Still interested in buying now!?

You stated in your original post that your main focus is "old silver coins" in parks, old home sites, etc. which are usually highly trashy areas. Also - some silver/gold jewelry in fresh water.

You then state that you're considering the AT gold because you like the "extra depth" from the true all metal mode.

2 things wrong with that picture.

1: Silver coins/silver jewelry respond to lower frequency machines than higher frequency machines by far.

2: True All Metal Mode will do exactly the opposite for you in "trashy" areas VS what you want it to do (meaning) if you use all metal (non motion true all metal) - the detector will go nuts on all the trash - will not distinguish/separate 1 target from the next and you will then want to wrap it around a tree!

Do not worry about if you'll gain an inch of depth by getting the ATG with True All Metal VS the AT

consider what you're main focus of finds are and in what type/s of environment/s and go for the machine that best suits those needs/desires.

Beyond that - a true all metal mode isn't for everyone to begin with - not unless you want to dig nails, hair pins, pulltabs, screws, bottle caps, bits of iron, can slaw, and every other piece of junk known to mankind by the truck loads!

Also - I don't know where you found those 2 charts above showing the "depth" the machine/s will find the targets listed but I can tell you 1st hand from personal experience that they are full of xxxx - my AT will find dimes at *8 & 9* inches ALL day EVERY day - not "5.25" as claimed in those picture/charts. I have also found a small gold ring at 10/11 inches - not "8" as those charts show so I'd disregard those completely. Maybe in ground with 80% iron content those #s would apply!

HH and good luck with your decision :-)

OP
OP
H

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah - and also add the higher KHz of the ATG combined with the lower 15 on the AT so that it's a dual frequency machine too!

The cost would be well into the $1500 to $1800 range I'd imagine! Still interested in buying now!?

You stated in your original post that your main focus is "old silver coins" in parks, old home sites, etc. which are usually highly trashy areas. Also - some silver/gold jewelry in fresh water.

You then state that you're considering the AT gold because you like the "extra depth" from the true all metal mode.

2 things wrong with that picture.

1: Silver coins/silver jewelry respond to lower frequency machines than higher frequency machines by far.

2: True All Metal Mode will do exactly the opposite for you in "trashy" areas VS what you want it to do (meaning) if you use all metal (non motion true all metal) - the detector will go nuts on all the trash - will not distinguish/separate 1 target from the next and you will then want to wrap it around a tree!

Do not worry about if you'll gain an inch of depth by getting the ATG with True All Metal VS the AT

consider what you're main focus of finds are and in what type/s of environment/s and go for the machine that best suits those needs/desires.

Beyond that - a true all metal mode isn't for everyone to begin with - not unless you want to dig nails, hair pins, pulltabs, screws, bottle caps, bits of iron, can slaw, and every other piece of junk known to mankind by the truck loads!

Also - I don't know where you found those 2 charts above showing the "depth" the machine/s will find the targets listed but I can tell you 1st hand from personal experience that they are full of xxxx - my AT will find dimes at *8 & 9* inches ALL day EVERY day - not "5.25" as claimed in those picture/charts. I have also found a small gold ring at 10/11 inches - not "8" as those charts show so I'd disregard those completely. Maybe in ground with 80% iron content those #s would apply!

HH and good luck with your decision :-)

Thanks, pretty much what you said is the reason I am going with the Pro, I know that if I bought the Gold I would get frustrated with the all metal mode very quickly and end up using the disc 1 or 2 alot (which I understand operates like the Pro in these modes, but with the higher frequency). So the Pro it is. I like the idea of greater sensitivity in all metal mode, but like you said, and based on the kind of hunting I will be doing, don't think I would use the all metal mode that much.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This question has probably been posted before, so I'm sorry if it has but... I am looking to get back into metal detecting after a long time out of the hobby. $600 - $700 is my budget and after doing alot of research and reading on these and other on-line forums, am leaning heavily towards the AT Pro. But then I read about the AT Gold and its "true all metal mode" with threshold adjustment and the bit of depth advantage it has and I begin to wonder which of the two it should be. I will be hunting parks, old homes and occasionally frsh water (I doubt I will ever see salt water as I live in Ohio). I really am looking for something that will find the old silver coins and some silver/gold jewelry amongst the iron and trash and thats what makes the AT Pro look so good. But I am wondering if that all metal mode and threshold gives a little more control. Again, its the old silver I want with the ability to hunt the fresh water beaches for jewelry as well.

Boy, I wish Garrett had put that "true all metal mode" with threshold adjustment on the Pro as an additional operating mode, then there would be no doubt in my mind.

Perhaps those of you who have used either or both of these machines can give me some guidance. Budget wise, if I go with the Pro, I will more than likely go for the 2-coil spring special to get that 5 x 8 DD. If I go with the Gold, I will only be able to afford the stock coil to start.

So in short, I know both machines are good with gold jewelry (I will not be doing any prospecting) But which machine is best for silver, and especially coin silver? Your input would be appreciated

The coil on the Gold and the freq make that thing KILLER jewelry or relic machine. The all metal mode gives a nice extra punch.

Holler with questions or for a great deal! Bart

slag

Jul 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My biased two cents here. The AT Gold is very sensitive to small targets. All Metal may be overwhelming in trashy areas. With zero iron discrimination All Metal I've counted 15 or twenty targets on one swing. Really too fast to count them all. Of course that's what the Hi-Res iron discrimination is for and it is excellent. Remember in high trash the All Metal is too much.

If you put out a man's gold ring and a silver half at twelve inches, the gold will be louder. That said it still goes deeper on silver dimes than other detectors I have used except a pulse unit. All Metal is about two inches deeper than DISC 1 air test. This is with 5 x 8 double D coil. I think some of the depth tests you read on the other forums the ATP is using the bigger coil to get about the same depth as the ATG with the 5 x 8. But I've never tested them side by side on the same target.

I've also read about some people hitting bottle caps with the ATP. I just can't even understand this. There must be some difference between the two machines here. Maybe that's with a bigger coil again or they don't know how to use the I.A. which again I can't understand because it is so easy to use. ATG in Iron Audio will identify caps 99% of the time. The only ones are too deep to register (dig a few inches then check again) or totally rusted out.

Remember it's what features you want. If in doubt, get more.

I have an AT Pro and hit bottle caps from time to time and they don't even ding as iron with iron audio on. Sound just like a nice penny but ring up a bit higher. dig it out and its a bottle cap. Nice clear signal also. I can't explain it either.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the at pro a tesoro and the f75. If I had to depend upon just one for my life it would be a 10 year old tesoro then the at pro. Please be sure to shop around for the best deals. They all run the same free shipping etc. But some throw in some nice shovels and lesches and extras. So much competition now you can get great deals and many extras if you shop around.
Good luck and welcome to the hobby.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Those that are finding bottle caps.

If you listen. It shouldn't be a completely solid tone. There's a dual tone that sounds like a high low high tone. This is of course it's laying flat. I also think that you'd get the same tone on a ring. I've had this happen several times on tabs, caps and wire.
I got the ATG and hunt in trashy areas. It's nice to discriminate out the trash in all metal. Though I will also go over target in disc 1 and 2 to see if it doesn't beep. However, I still dig it all up. Hard on knees. Lol. I'm cleaning up the desert one cap, can, and she'll casing at a time. Still waiting on rings or flakes of gold.
Check out Bart at BigBoysHobbies. I got mine at KellyCo. Bart seems the straight shooter. I've been working out a deal with him and he's very quick to answer. (That's my two cents on that) Either way shop it.

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id say for beaches lakes coin hunting and good jewelery response id go for the At Pro. Now if you don't wanna hunt beaches and don't mind less performance for coin hunting and are gonna prospect then go with the At gold.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How would you have less performance for coins using the ATG, trackerman? Seems you'd have a better chance of detecting coins with the higher kHz. Or is it that coins are found better with a lower kHz?
Just a question is all. I've found several coins and deep with the ATG and the standard coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread