which detector to buy?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would do lots better with a Tesoro Outlaw with the 3 coils and a lifetime warranty.

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just get the At Pro & be done with it....You can hunt anywhere you want to go Rain or Shine!

bbells

Jan 5, 2013
Delano, MN
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have owned the Ace 250 and the AT-Pro. I love them both. IMHO: I would suggest starting with the ACE 250. Play with it and learn it, then upgrade to the AT Pro and a 2nd gold nugget machine later. I feel it is important to upgrade every once in a while to recharge your interest in the hobby. If you start with the best or a better one you have nothing to look forward to in the future. Plus, you can collect enough money from the Ace 250 to pay for your AT pro.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Try various detectors first to see which one suits you. Then go with brand. Tesoro has lifetime but if the detector doesn't suit you then don't get it.
I had gone through all the loops and eventually wound up with the ATPro as an option.
It also depends on how much to spend. Either the 250 or 350 would be fine if you want to hunt for coins and relics. Check out the packages from [email protected] or even Kelleyco. I'm sure there are other sites, I've talked to Bart before and he's fast to respond to any questions and won't try to upscale ya. Just try to get the most with your buck. Both are good to learn on. Use for a year or two. Then go ATPro.
I started with the ATGold myself. Hoping the extra kHz will help me find that elusive nugget. It was only 100 more. So that's what I did.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread