Relic Hunting

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GO with the PRO, you wont be disappointed, as a matter or fact you will love it.

bbells

Jan 5, 2013
Delano, MN
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just upgraded to the ATPro from my 250 after looking at every detector under $1,000. It met my needs better than any other. 1) I discovered that the transition to the AT-Pro from the 250 was very smooth. There are many similarities. 2) I often run into drizzle or spray from waves when I detect. The waterproofed AT is much better than putting a baggie on my 250. Plus I can set it down on the wet sand. 3) The glaciers have dropped gold in my area and the higher frequency of the pro will help me find some (ha ha). 4) The highly mineralized soil in northern MN and along Lake Superior needs the discrimination of the Pro. 5) Upgrading recharged the hobby for me.

OP
OP
JmCraz8

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks guys for the advice, what would you say the max depth on this machine is?

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deep I hit a pull tab at like 6 inches today couldn't believe it id say max 8 to 10 inches . Its an awesome machine love it.

kmil10

Dec 30, 2012
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am considering the AT Pro myself so it is good to read the endorsement. Opinions as they are, what would be the best feature of the pro? And the worst?

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say the first great thing about the At pro is its 15klhz frequency which is more sensitive to gold jewlry . Then second I would say its waterproof abilities . the chance to hunt anytime even when it rains on the beach in lakes etc. At of all the machines I have used and currently own I think this maybee my new favorite. Of course it's all weather capability makes it a huge plus over manny other current machines

OP
OP
JmCraz8

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Trackerman thanks for the advice, how would you rate the pro mode, how is that?

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the GTI-1500 and it is similar to the AT Pro, as is the GTI-2500. I think the main difference is that the AT-Pro is more waterproof. I cannot use mine in the rain without protection. The GTI's will work with the coil under water, but not the thinking end. Mine locates to a depth of six to twelve inches. However this always depends on the type of soil, the size of the object and the type of metal targeted. I found a horse shoe that was about 15 inches down. It was one of those large, heavy shoes like they toss in the game.

It is a more complicated machine, so be sure to practice learning how it discriminates. Practice on known targets, both good and bad.

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pro mode is deeper than the standard mode a little noisier but tells you more information. The thing I love about At Pro is the fact it sings on nickels and pull tabs really well and seems to love them plenty .Manny machines don't and that usually means sacrificing rings. the battery life is pretty good and it only uses 4 AAs which is great. Most mid to higher end machines use 8 AAs not this one.

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the ground is wet it will hit big iron way down. I got mine to hunt water and looking forward to warmer weather. So far it is doing everything my Tesoro and f75 is doing. I have not done much discrimination yet but will. I have not heard of anyone that had one complain. That is a great sign. Good luck!
HH
TnMtns

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Deep I hit a pull tab at like 6 inches today couldn't believe it id say max 8 to 10 inches . Its an awesome machine love it.

This is one of the main reasons why I dislike my ATPro. Everyone claims it is deep. But 8-10" is not deep at all. If you want deep, get a T2. In bench tests, I've had the same test target be invisible to the ATPro at depths over a foot whereas the same target rings like the target is directly under the coil at the same test depth.

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
8 to 10 inches is plenty deep for me. Personally i wouldnt wana dig any deeper than that. Besides most good targets are around 4 to 6 inches anyway

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And besides one thing you cant do with a teknetics t2 is hunt in the rain or lakes and the ocean like you can with the At Pro. Get the teknetics wet and its all over for the machine .

bbells

Jan 5, 2013
Delano, MN
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am rarely interested in digging more than 8 inches. But, I probably hunt in the drizzle more than not.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think for starters you don't want to start in Pro mode. Learn all you can in Std mode. The manual tells ya to get fluent with machine it takes 100 hrs to get there. More than likely 50, but it seems you're always learning something new with it.
About the only complaints I've heard was falsing on wet sand and incorrect depth. Garrett has videos about hunting the beaches to overcome false readings (turning down sensitivity) and the other depends on mineralization and GB.
That's my two cents. I have the ATG which has the higher kHz and minus Pro mode. I've been happy with mine. Have found items at 12"+. Each time pipes or iron. :(.

OP
OP
JmCraz8

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks everyone I'm definitely going to upgrade to an AT Pro in the near future.

Garett66

Feb 2, 2013
If you have a Cabelas close to you check there. I got real lucky and found a AT Pro that someone returned. I found it hiding in the Bargain Cave. $365.00 a deal that seemed to good to be true.

Dimendave

Nov 27, 2012
Central Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garret ATP Whites TDI SL.
Fisher CZ-21. Minelab Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had mine for a month or two now and its the only detector I have ever owned. I am still using the standard mode but do switch it over to pro alot on the same targets just to get a feel for whats going on down there. I just like that loud, clear bell sound in the standard mode and pretty much know if its a diggable target. I hope to someday feel as comfortable in the pro mode. Being a newbie to the hobby I would say the biggest thing I have learned is almost all good targets have a constant, steady reading on the #'s guide while most trash will start off in the same area will jump around alot more as you go back and forth over the target.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread