KJ&nugget

Mar 9, 2013
Republic of South Afrika and Wa. State USA
Detector(s) used
I use a garrett AT pro.
My son uses a Technetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had some young boys to the park yesterday, we were going to see who could find the most coins or the "coolest" item. Spring break here so these 10 and 11 year olds need something to do.

We all took off our own separate ways and started hunting. I went to coin pro mode and started picking up coins quickly. Seriously this AT Pro is a coin monster. It was not at first, but learning to listen to what it says ( and believing in it) makes it easier.

First thing is the high pitch "ding" of silver, or pennies. But that could be a crown cap too. The solution, When you hit this sound and see the 79-83 number, use pin point to find center, then increase the distance from the pinpointed location about 2-4" if the numbers jump up or down say for example from 40-95 ...... Walk away its a crown cap. If it stays in the 75-90 range it's a coin. I collected about 50 coins yesterday in 4 hours. By the time I was at this 45 minutes I was calling the coins 9/10 times. There are the odd crown caps that will fool you but not very often. With that said, once in a while I let it fool me just to confirm it was a crown cap and my tone and number strategy was accurate. So I did dig up many crown caps, but I knew they were. I only did it to confirm I was able to tell them apart. Just as a note on this, I cannot distinguish the crown caps with the 5X8DD coil with any consistency. It just not as easy for me to use as the bigger coil for that.

I was digging coins and not wasting any time on crown caps for several hours! Now......... Nickels are another whole story. When they ding up with the mid tone, and the numbers are 50-53 solid without any deviation it's a nickel much of the time. However it's also an aluminum oval pop tab much of the time. Probably 25% it's a nickel, and that is the best I think you're gonna get with nickels. They just ring up exactly like those tabs do. I've circled the targets, listened for the faintest tone change, nothing different I have noticed yet.

One other thought, On rings or gold jewelry obviously not enough recoveries to have consistent data, but I have buried them and listened to the few items I have tested. They usually score a VDI number in the 45-75 range. However most junk targets are jumpy and the numbers are bouncing up and down on the display. Good solid targets like a 10K-14K gold ring are more consistent and to my ear louder and more stable tones. Those oval aluminum tabs will get you with this too though. They ring powerful and stable. It's so hard to dig every one of them up, but passing them is walking by possible good items. In small areas with dozens of these targets I usually walk, but if they are shallow, I'll make a quick stab at it.

So in Coin mode I blow off the jumpy unstable 45-70 scores, however when it's a solid mid tone "dinging" and the number is constant, I will dig that up. Sunday this was the strategy and I passed countless unstable tones. I did however get that solid mid tone and gave in to dig it up. It was a 14K gold size 6 ring with leaves and vines in thin shiny copperish colored gold weaved around it. Almost like a tiny little wreath.

That was the first actually valuable piece of jewelry I've ever found. I'm so glad I did not hit it with my shovel because it's so frail. Anyhow, maybe these numbers/ tones will save somebody some digging time? If anyone can figure out the nickels please post up. I would like to collect more then 5 nickels a day, compared to the dozens of dimes quarters and pennies!

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great info ! Pull tabs are the worst invention ever. Whenever tots come around asking if I found anything I always explain when they throw garbage on the ground it stays . And then people like us find it. I've been in parks so trashed out I just resort to discriminating out targets 79 and below.

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KJ,

When you say "then increase the distance from the pinpointed location about 2-4"
are saying to raise the coil 2-4"?

Pete

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I pretty much agree with you on everything. I just got a new 5x8 coil so not used to it yet but the nickels i found the other day rang a very solid 52 to 53. The tone was very distinct and every time I thought it was a nickel it was. The only tabs I dug were signals I was in question about even though they rang close to a nickle

Another thing about nickels there are not as many and so people don't loose as many. a nickel is the only coin you get one of when you get change. I figure if I get 3 nickels in $2 of finds I did a pretty good job.

Digger2

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2013
Vacherie Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS,Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500 ,
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good Information, I'm still learning to listen to what mine has to say! (which means a lot of digging)!!

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's great information!:thumbsup: I'm getting my AT Pro today,and can't wait to get out with it,and start hunting.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Normsel nailed it, never much doubt if its solid, and repetable 51-52 or 52-53, I know I'm diggin a nickle. This AT Pro is the bomb, no matter what coil you use:icon_thumleft::laughing7:

bush13st_beav3r

Apr 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Church! It's beast....I live in a small city full of alcoholics tho and I need to get a sniper or 5x8...and concentric....I need all 3....bad....that's not to say a stock coil I'm striking out....cuz that's nor the case at all....I've found three times the.stuff since I upgraded to atp. And I'm soo glad I did....I'm quite the Garrett fanboy now

bush13st_beav3r

Apr 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are you having trouble with? I can try n help best I can... A test garden would do you wonders in the department of learning your detectors voice, and settings for your soil etc.. ...I had a 250, now atp....when I first got it...my god was it confusing...I didn't know what the hell I was doing....now, well, yesterday I went coin shooting, or cherry picking, whatever u wana call it...and banked 7.83 in an hour... Better than min wage in Kansas...

Coin Gopher

Apr 22, 2013
I haven't done a garden yet. I'm using the 5x8 and while swinging as normal I'm getting normal 40s trash along with dings ranging from 55-92. If I go back and try to pin point the high number it's either flakey or just not there anymore. When I do dig all I find is nails n such, and some tabs and foil.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't done a garden yet. I'm using the 5x8 and while swinging as normal I'm getting normal 40s trash along with dings ranging from 55-92. If I go back and try to pin point the high number it's either flakey or just not there anymore. When I do dig all I find is nails n such, and some tabs and foil.
Coin Gopher,I just got my ATP today,and the easiest way for me to run it,was in "standard,or pro mode" and the "zero" mode in either one. I was hunting a trashy spot and when I hit a nail,I would put it back in the open hole,and run the ATP over it,then "notch it out".Yhen do the same with the other junk I found. There must be about a zillion nails in this old house location I was hunting,and getting them out of the way really helped. The ATP didn't do as much signaling as it was before,but when it did,I was digging coins most of the time! I think you can do this in any of the six modes,but I'm not sure? I think I like the pro mode tones better though. That bell tone makes me think someone's at the front door! LOL! It really sounds like the old bells that were hooked onto the air hose at gas stations years ago,to let them know you had pulled in for some gas. Ron

Last edited:

Coin Gopher

Apr 22, 2013
Thanks Ron.. I've watched all the videos, I run all the modes and I understand the machine and it functions. I almost feel as if there is something wrong with it. I'll hit a 82 and come up iron. I use my pin pointer and dig down 8" or so and sort til I get no more signals. Then rescan the hole. Now the 82 is gone and all I have is this stupid nail, that shouldn't read that high to begin with. I'm going to put the stock coil back on and see if I get the same result.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did you have any problems with it using the stock coil?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread