What detectors are comparable to an AT Pro?

mustangpalmer1911

Apr 12, 2011
Hop Bottom, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
By no means an expert just started MDing myself, but for a all around machine for water and land I don't think there is anything. It is want I decided to go with after looking a fair bit arounf. I wanted waterproof to play at the beach or lake or where ever and decent land machine to.

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the price range, its about the only submersible detector out there. Its nice not running in full panic if it starts sprinkling out also. I looked at the Fisher F5 pretty close, but I had quality issues and had to send my F2 back. I also hear Garrett customer service is tops, and the coils are a little bit cheaper. Also, there are many more tutorial videos on YouTube for the Garrett AT Pro, which is handy. I recommend Bart at Big Boys Hobbies for fast shipping and a great price. Call for the best price. Tell him Ron from Wi sent ya!

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just got my ATP last week and admittedly I'm no pro with it yet but I am getting pretty comfortable with the machine.
So far, I wouldn't recommend it. When I weigh the pros and cons, the cons win.
If it were me and my money, the Outlaw, Vaquero or maybe even the Golden uMax from the Tesoro line or a Whites M6 would be ones I'd be looking at. If you look at used for the same price point, a Whites MXT Pro would be hard to beat.
Don't want to sound like I hate the ATP, I don't, but it's definitely the 2nd most overhyped machine I've owned! The majority here will disagree with me I'm sure.

BTW each time I use the ATP I like what I like about it more and dislike what I dislike about it more.

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fella, that's a fair statement. So far I'm loving mine, but maybe we just look for different qualities in detectors. I'm still new to mine also. I didn't get a chance to try other brands, I basically just researched and bought. (No dealers close by here) I know one of the closest dealers uses White's and only White's. It all just depends on what you like I guess, and everyone likes certain things :) HH!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got my ATP last week and admittedly I'm no pro with it yet but I am getting pretty comfortable with the machine.
If it were me and my money, the Outlaw, Vaquero or maybe even the Golden uMax from the Tesoro line or a Whites M6 would be ones I'd be looking at. If you look at used for the same price point, a Whites MXT Pro would be hard to beat.
Don't want to sound like I hate the ATP, I don't, but it's definitely the 2nd most overhyped machine I've owned! The majority here will disagree with me I'm sure.

BTW each time I use the ATP I like what I like about it more and dislike what I dislike about it more.

Don't forget the Cibola Fella! Great little machine with big capabilities. Love my Vaquero too! Owned an AT Pro for a couple months before I sold it due to personal preferences in detector features.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yup! Just like vehicles! Some Like GM,and Some Like Ford,ect. I'm new (less than 5 weeks hunting) and I have a Fisher F2 (well I did have a F2,the wife took it over) and the ATP. The ATP does everything I ask it to do,(except dig the targets):laughing7: It is a little heavy,but I'm used to it now,and don't notice it much,if any.Garrett has spent a lot of money promoting the ATP,not unlike White,and from it's price point,there's not much if any out there as flexable as it. It will hunt the beach in the morning,go relic hunting in the woods in the afternoon,and coinshooting in the evening. Not many if any in the 600.00 price range can do that. With the sales of the ATP as high as they have been,I think your gonna see the other company's follow with similar models,in the lower price range. Don't think for a moment, they haven't noticed the sky rocketing sales.

Last edited:

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i love my at pro great detector a lot nicer then my whites

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep. The Coinmaster Pro is a dog. If I had only used those two machines, I'd think the ATP was great too.
What are you comparing the ATP to in it's price range?

Roscue2

Greenie
Dec 19, 2012
Central Valley of CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, Ace 250, Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If going by price only, those comparable to the At Pro would be:
Whites: M6
Tesoro: Tejon, Outlaw, Tiger Shark, Sand Shark
Teknetics: Omega 8000
Minelab: Xterra 505 (as well as the 705 technically)
Fisher: Gold Bug Pro, f5, f70 with regular coil

They can all be had for a little less or more than the AT PRO.
HH and GL

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What are you comparing the ATP to in it's price range?
Tesoro Outlaw, Vaquero are both less money. Overall I liked both of them better so far. My White E & V series are both more expensive and the quality shows that.

Most of the comparisons I've seen on it, by owners mind you, like to compare them to higher end machines like an E-trac, V3i, T2/F75. When the ATP falls short in whichever category/ies then price point becomes the crutch. It should be compared to the M6, F5 & 505 none of which I've never used.

For $600 it's probably a decent buy for a VDI unit and it's waterproof too which is a nice feature that none of the other mfg offer at that price.

Last edited:

mustangpalmer1911

Apr 12, 2011
Hop Bottom, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
I suppose it depends on what is "right for you". Do you plan on just beach hunting, just fresh water hunting, just relic hunting, just coin hunting, a little of everything, or no water at all, ect. I wanted a waterproof machine that I could use as my main land machine also. I dont want to have 6 machines(right now) just one for ALL around general use. Seems like the AT Pro in the price range is the sole machine currently on the market for that.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I suppose it depends on what is "right for you". Do you plan on just beach hunting, just fresh water hunting, just relic hunting, just coin hunting, a little of everything, or no water at all, ect. I wanted a waterproof machine that I could use as my main land machine also. I dont want to have 6 machines(right now) just one for ALL around general use. Seems like the AT Pro in the price range is the sole machine currently on the market for that.
You can bet the other Company's are developing a machine at a lower price point,that will shed water like a duck!:laughing7: I've only had two detectors,a Fisher F2 (and it's a great little MD) and the ATP. What sold me on the ATP was it's versatility,and watching video's about it. I did get to try out a Mine Lab, E-Trac when another guy showed up at a site I was working the other day. It seemed to balance better than the ATP,but was heavier. We traded for a while and he said he might pick up a ATP as a "back up" machine. He also said it was the first one he had seen in person,other than the video's and adds,and was impressed how it operated. We both found coins using each others machines. Mine is NO light weight,with the added accessories on it.
00212_zps0e09ede8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
There is no other detector comparible to the AT Pro at it's price....seriously. You get a made in USA machine, with excellent warranty. It has 2 programs (Pro and standard) with the standard being an ACE 350 on steroids and the Pro having unique features. Kind of like 2 detectors for one. The machine has audio ID, VDI ID, iron audio for serious silver, copper & gold hunters, notching abilities and many many more features. Oh......and it's water proof too to 10 feet.

There isn't anything out there compatible. Google AT Pro Forum and see the finds coming in at some links near the top of the page.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Tesoro Vaquero and the Tesoro Outlaw - Good Luck no matter what you buy!

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

What a difference a day makes. Not that I found a bunch of great things although I did pocket an old gold plated mens ring and a 1919s Wheat today. But the machine and I have come to an understanding. I stop b!tching about it's perceived (to me) short comings and it shows me the brilliance of Pro Zero w/zero iron disc.
I have changed my mind about this machine. While I don't think it's the second coming or the greatest thing since sliced bread or the best tector money can buy, I would probably now recommend it to anyone that wants/needs an all around highly versatile machine thats easy to use.

Last edited:

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whoo! Congrats fella! I've only used pro zero from day one, and I have had great success I think so far. No gold or silver, but I can call coins before I pluck them from the ground. I'm glad you're finally enjoying your investment! Keep us updated!

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Whoo! Congrats fella! I've only used pro zero from day one, and I have had great success I think so far. No gold or silver, but I can call coins before I pluck them from the ground. I'm glad you're finally enjoying your investment! Keep us updated!

Sounds like you have figured out your machine. When you get to the point where you tell it what's under the coil, not the other way around....you have mastered it. Good work!:hello2:

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No, not mastered yet. I still have to find rings, and other items. I'm very good at pennies though! Lol. Its still going to take some time, but learning is fun with this!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread