VDI diffrence with the 5X8 DD coil?

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since putting on my 5X8 coil,I've noticed that penny's come in around 77-82 on the VDI. Dimes come in around the High 80's. If I remember right,when I have the 8.5X11 DD coil on,the penny's showed up at 70-72 on the VDI,and dimes always showed up in the low 80's. It seems that the VDI numbers read higher with the 5X8 DD coil on the machine. Have any of you guy's noticed this?

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it is 81 its a dime, no matter what coil I use, high 80's =quarter 70's a little tricker. Seem to be same with either coil, could be other variables, soil, moister, halo effect, masking etc. Not sure

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just gotta remember the variables no 2 finds r gonna b the exact same way even the dirt u may think it looks the same but unless u can pull.a ground probé ull never know

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found on pennies it is based on their year the numbers will be different and I assume it is because of the metal composition that was used at the time. The site I am hunting now is my proving ground for that, The higher number will always be a 90's or greater penny whereas the lower number will be an older 70's penny. I dug my first wheatie on the site yesterday, it was a 49 and I also dug a 1940 Finnish coin, a BIG 5 cent piece from some Island. I pulled that out of the ground and wondered how the hell did that get there? Who knows and that is what makes this hobby so interesting.

OP
OP
rks1949

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found on pennies it is based on their year the numbers will be different and I assume it is because of the metal composition that was used at the time. The site I am hunting now is my proving ground for that, The higher number will always be a 90's or greater penny whereas the lower number will be an older 70's penny. I dug my first wheatie on the site yesterday, it was a 49 and I also dug a 1940 Finnish coin, a BIG 5 cent piece from some Island. I pulled that out of the ground and wondered how the hell did that get there? Who knows and that is what makes this hobby so interesting.
Thanks,for the information badpenny! I've never took the time to notice the different VDI numbers on the penny's (and I dig a lot of them). I've passed a lot of 49's up at the old high school! Look's like I might have been passing up some Wheaties?

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, sorry the Year on the penny was a 1949... not the VDI. Crap I don't want you digging a million holes cursing the old guy... LOL!

And the five cent piece is Island Aurar, how the hell did that get in the middle of the coal region at a school yard? At least I know that I am in the right place; there is gold in them there hills, I know there is.

Last edited:

Metal.detective

Oct 29, 2012
Roanoke Rapids NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since putting on my 5X8 coil,I've noticed that penny's come in around 77-82 on the VDI. Dimes come in around the High 80's. If I remember right,when I have the 8.5X11 DD coil on,the penny's showed up at 70-72 on the VDI,and dimes always showed up in the low 80's. It seems that the VDI numbers read higher with the 5X8 DD coil on the machine. Have any of you guy's noticed this?

I've noticed it has a lot to do with the soil...GB numbers...and year. I can have one with my stock coil in the soil I hunt around here with GB numbers around the mid 80s and the penny will sing between 76-80. I found one yesterday at the beach...wet sand...GB of around 15-17...penny was singing 72-75. Don't ask me...I've been doing this a while and I'm learning new stuff and figuring out mess everyday!

OP
OP
rks1949

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL, sorry the Year on the penny was a 1949... not the VDI. Crap I don't want you digging a million holes cursing the old guy... LOL!
LOL! I'm glad I'm not the only one that happens too!:laughing7: No problem! I have a real hard time convincing myself to dig any signal under 70 on the VDI.

Metal.detective

Oct 29, 2012
Roanoke Rapids NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It all depends for me...if I can get solid repeatable sound and numbers you can bet your hind parts I'm all digging it. I might be cussing when I find it but I'm still gonna try it. Every one of my flat buttons have read in the high 40s. I was questioning the dig but it sounded to good...glad I did.

OP
OP
rks1949

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've noticed it has a lot to do with the soil...GB numbers...and year. I can have one with my stock coil in the soil I hunt around here with GB numbers around the mid 80s and the penny will sing between 76-80. I found one yesterday at the beach...wet sand...GB of around 15-17...penny was singing 72-75. Don't ask me...I've been doing this a while and I'm learning new stuff and figuring out mess everyday!
Yeah,it has rained here almost every day,and the soil IS moist. I never thought of that? I have learned in my short time detecting that,you can really "hammer" the coins when the ground has some moisture in it,compared to dry soil!

bush13st_beav3r

Apr 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A guy I know dug a very thin merc that was ringing up 49-52 I believe....initially thought it was junk tab....got a happy treat... I dig everything but iron, unless I need the iron out to find the gems below, which I've had to do a lot lately....so, I guess I dig everything, if my snipe comes n today...thatll change... ....debating on ordering the 5*8 coil....but, Idk if I should... Might irk the wifey... Decisions decisions...

-beav3r

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dig any repeatable signal, so long as the iron audio doesn't sound off with all the beeping an popping when I scan over if. If I got a good clean tone it is getting dug. Now every once and awhile I'll dig those noisy, crappy signals and they are always crap.

bush13st_beav3r

Apr 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Badpenny, ill post a link of a video, if I can find it, where a guy gets a good sound in the middle of scratches pops and grunts.... Believe it was a 10k or 14k diamond ring... ...since I watched that...I dig any belltone that I can get to sound off twice... So far it hasn't paid off in the area of gold n diamonds n what not, but it has got me a silver 56d Rosie... One sec, ill see if I can locate that gentleman's video

That's the video I think...I didn't rewstch it all, but I believe this is it... It's when the ring is standing up with the diamond up top.

beav3r

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread