Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
People do air tests til they're blue in the face. Im sure there is some data out there, but the truth is, its all going to depend on soil, setting, ground balance, weather, etc etc etc. Different day, different results. Most of all, it depends on the user.

Im not trying to sound like a jerk, its just that everyone wants to know the numbers, but the truth is, they all are different. It works awesome. I dont worry about what I've possibly missed, because id lose even more sleep over it.

I believe once I heard 10%, but im sure whatever numbers you get, there will be arguments over it. Good luck!

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People do air tests til they're blue in the face. Im sure there is some data out there, but the truth is, its all going to depend on soil, setting, ground balance, weather, etc etc etc. Different day, different results. Most of all, it depends on the user.

Im not trying to sound like a jerk, its just that everyone wants to know the numbers, but the truth is, they all are different. It works awesome. I dont worry about what I've possibly missed, because id lose even more sleep over it.

I believe once I heard 10%, but im sure whatever numbers you get, there will be arguments over it. Good luck!

Yes to what you said.. I'm too busy metal detecting to spend time in the laboratory studying depth of coil, air tests & memorizing VDI's.

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So much depends on your soil and settings. I dug targets the other night that were 8" deep and deeper. I was in clay and it was dry as hell. Yesterday I was in a highly mineralized soil which required me to make some adjustments to quite the machine down, I only dug a few targets and all were sitting just below the soil.

frog21

Mar 5, 2013
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the test is done with the same detector at the same spot with the same settings for the 2 coils, the type of soil, weather conditions, user, etc etc, should not make a difference. The 2 coils on the same detector at the same spot, should ground balance the same, shouldn't they? What I am trying to say is, the average percentage of difference should remain pretty much the same when conditions change.

I have both coils and I haven't removed the 5 X 8 since I got it because of the weight, balance and target separation. I was relic hunting yesterday and I had a few very faint signals that gave no VDI and I kept wondering if the big coil would have given a better result. Someone mentioned a 1/2 inch difference and that is no so bad at 10" that is only 5% but 10% would be 1" at that depth and that is more troublesome.

frog21

Mar 5, 2013
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I decided to do my own test to get the average difference in depth between the 5X8 and the 8.5X11 coils. I did an air test as I am not trying to find actual detecting depth in the ground but the only the difference in the 2 coils.

I tested with 4 modern clad US coins, a penny, a nickel, a dime and a quarter. I also tested with some typical relic pieces that I find, an 1830's large cent, a .69 caliber mini ball and a brass buckle from a piece of horse tack. I made several sweeps with each item and recorded the numbers. I recorded the numbers that gave me a repeatable signal with a repeatable VDI and the numbers with just a repeatable signal with no VDI.

The average difference in depth using the larger coil that gave a repeatable VDI was, 17.5% and a repeatable signal with no VDI was 19%. These numbers are a little higher than I expected.

A couple of examples from my test are: the dime was at 8" with the small coil and 8.5" with the large coil, the nickel was 8" and 11" and the .69 cal mini ball was 8.5" and 11".

I have contacted Garrett and asked about the difference they have found but I have not received and answer , as yet. I will post it here when I do.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice test frog even though it's only air it gives a real number to the difference in relation to the two. Very nice info! Thanks for taking the time!

treadhead

Jul 8, 2013
Salem, OR
Detector(s) used
Ace 150, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Vibra-Probe 580 and 730.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found it to be MUCH easier to pinpoint (With MY limited experience) in the trashy old park I hunt.

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted a very old school yard yesterday, buildings were gone but the yard is still there and maintained. The 5 x 8 would pick out the good targets in amongst all those nails. I found a couple of dimes a nickel and a quarter all from the seventies along with a ton of spent bullets.

I know without this coil I would have wasted my time walking around. The 5 x 8 is a great coil for the AT Pro.

OP
OP
bzbadger

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frog, your test was informative and a little worrying as I didn't think there should be that much difference between the two. The first test showing a half inch difference I expected but to have a 3 inch difference seems a bit much. Id like to know what Garrett has to say about it. I'm leaning heavily towards one and was thinking of ordering beginning of week but I will wait to see what Garrett says to the difference unless someone can say they've lost little depth then maybe I'll not be so worried and order anyway.

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain

frog21

Mar 5, 2013
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bzbadger, the better balance, lighter weight and the target separation make having the 5X8 well worth it. If you are mostly coin shooting, I would not hesitate to get the smaller coil. The only time I swing my big coil is when I am relic hunting in very open areas.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I relic hunt to & even the smaller ones comes in very well for gettin close to rocks trees bushes etc its an awesome coil

OP
OP
bzbadger

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So frog and Christo as you've hunted with the smaller DD are you able to hit the 8-10 inch depth?

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So frog and Christo as you've hunted with the smaller DD are you able to hit the 8-10 inch depth?

Have I hit targets 8-10 with the 5x8 id say yes i have but not all the time,it would have to b early mornin,after a rain to get steady depth of 8-9, I dont bring a Tyler out but theres been holes past the propointer couple of times, u have got to remember no spots r the same so it will vary, id say with the 5x8 more along 7-8.5 & 8.5 -9 on ya know good moist ground not to mineralized but safley 7+. The 5x8 isnt really for depth its more a coil to use to get between tight áreas of rocks,trashy places,etc but will get down there, serves a very good purpose then to balance,weight to im 99% sure if u bought one & say u for some reason hate it take off $10 it'll sell probly on here within a day or so cuz of the demand, but I bet u will most likley keep it on its a good coil & thats y it comes stock on at gold more precise

frog21

Mar 5, 2013
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I found an 1830's large cent at 11" with the 5x8 coil. I have found several horseshoes at 12 - 13 inches. The deepest target with the smaller coil was at 20 inches (yes 20", I measured it), a 4" diameter chromed exterior mirror from an old car. The smallest target I have found at any depth is a .44 caliber bullet from an 1860's Colt Army Revolver at 8 inches.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
C they have depth its all about right conditions

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 5x8 has shown me some true depth as well. A measured 9" on a silver dime. Puppy was hitting really solid too. Soil condition were hard packed black dirt, GB was prolly in the upper 80"s - low 90's

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recently found a 27' mercury at roughly 8 inches the other day with the smaller coil. Got a good repeatable tone and a reading of 80-83. Very worn coin, but the AT Pro had no problem picking it out!

OP
OP
bzbadger

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok you guys convinced me, im ordering one. I can't see any conns to this and if its a depth issue its not like I can't switch out to the larger coil in a couple minutes. Thanks guys I really appreciate your help on making the decision easier, now can you guys convince my wife?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread