K.I.S.S. Coin Cleaning

TheOldMan

Nov 26, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
This is TheOldMan's Keep It Simple Stupid Coin Cleaning method. While coinshooting throw all clad including nickles in one container and all pennies in another. Each month put clad in a bag such as one that carried oranges - the one with all the little holes in it - and tie the end. Same with pennies in another likewise bag. Place bags in the laundry washer while washing clothes - once done washing dump clad in rock tumbler with small gravel and water with a shot of laundry soap - run tumbler for 3 -4 hours and dump coins in colander that is placed inside a larger bowl - make sure that the colander holes are big enough so that just the gravel rocks fall through to the bowl - rinse coins good and let dry. Repeat with pennies. I got a colander at Goodwill for fifty cents and used a drill to make the holes larger. Also the bowl I use was fifty cents from Goodwill. These coins should be your gas and battery money. If your not finding enough coins for that you are either watching too much t.v. or got a demanding partner.:laughing3:

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dunno why one would go through the trouble of the washing machine. Just throw em in the tumbler straight away. Simpler and no less effective!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just dump them in the coinstar...LOL

haha..I wish it were that easy....I tried a few months back to simply just "rinse them"...well...i ended up screwing the first machine up...the girl had to go and take it apart to get my coins....then i took the rest to another coinstar....same thing...but this time i lost the change that jammed the machine.....i went back there about 2 weeks later and asked why it was out of order...and the employee said...."Someone came in with Muddy coins and it screwed up the sensors, so it has to be taken back to get worked on"...So not only was I embarassed, i lost a few bucks..

I always see people talking about putting pea gravel in the tumbler...which i used too, but then once i did it without the gravel, and it came out looking the SAME...

So now i just put a little dishwasher detergent in there, and they come out perfect...I guess we all have our own ways of doing things thou!

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheOldMan

TheOldMan

Nov 26, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Dunno why one would go through the trouble of the washing machine. Just throw em in the tumbler straight away. Simpler and no less effective!
Clean coins at the start of the tumbling = better results - You won't have to stop the tumbling to replace the dirty water.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Clean coins at the start of the tumbling = better results - You won't have to stop the tumbling to replace the dirty water.

I'm sorry but this strikes me more funny than you can possibly realize. K.I.S.S....lol

AC500

Apr 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

can you recommend a decent tumbler?

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
can you recommend a decent tumbler?

I just use the cheap one from Harbor Freight. Works fine for tumbling coins. Throw in some aquarium gravel, your coins and a couple drops of dish soap. Change water after about an hour then continue tumbling for another couple hours.

Last edited:

AC500

Apr 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just use the cheap one from Harbor Freight. Works fine for tumbling coins. Throw in some aquarium gravel, your coins and a couple drops of dish soap. Change water after about an hour then continue tumbling for another couple hours.

Thanks, Ive been looking at them on fleabay.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I use a Lortone model 33b that I found on Craig's list for $35.

I use some gravel and dish soap or comet, either one and just a very small amount. I never change the water for the same coins.

I'm gonna try without the gravel!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Ive been looking at them on fleabay.

You want the one from Harbour Freight....ive used it for over 2 years with NO problems..thou i do put a drop of cooking oil in it to keep the metal from Oxidizing...My buddies containers started to oxidize a bit, and it looked like it couple be a problem in the future...so i keep my lubed up..lol

And if you are just cleaning the coins for the coinstar or to turn in....i dont see why people would be changing the water...my water comes out lookign like used motor oil, but after i rinse them with Dawn..they are perfect...not trying to have the shinest Clad, just trying to make sure the machine wont reject it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread