Who uses the 5x8 DD ATP coil?

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to know who has experience with the smaller coil and what if any plusses are there from using one. I understand you cut down on area coverage so less trash to decipher but what else? Before I go throwing money at a coil I'd like to hear from actual users.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Weight/balance is improved about a 100 times over.
Target separation is greatly improved.
Loss of depth is minimal.

Totally transforms the AT Pro into a beast imo. The 5x8 NEVER comes off. EVER!
This is the coil it should come with stock. Get it, you won't regret it.

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 5 x 8 is the ONLY coil I use. In my opinion this should have been the standard coil on this machine. As Fella said that coil transforms the ATP into the ultimate machine in its price point.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a Super Sniper 4.5" coil on my ATP for sidewalk tearouts and it works pretty sweet... I'll be buying the 5 x 8 for next years hunting season.

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 5x8 is awesome in trashy parks and tight spaces like thick brush. However, I still use the stock coil in large ball or farm fields. The smaller coil is also alot lighter to swing. Bottom line, it's a good purchase.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking 90% of the Atpro users could agree that its just awesome with the smaller coil on don't get me wrong big ones fine there's a place & a time to use one another & that's up to u. Is it worth it to buy a 5x8 absolutely if ur doin tot lots,foundations,trashy trails,parks,its worth every penny it'll also help in getting it more stable if ur detecting in the water to just another +

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I've too read where many many folks say it is a great upgrade. I have kept putting it off as the cost is high, imo.
However, I found a guy selling a AT GOLD on craigs and got it for $400. Now, I have a spare machine, both coils and a spare set of headphones. This AT GOLD was made in mid march, 2012 if the serial number sequence is the same as the AT PRO so still under warranty even.
Just food for thought. HH all.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's always great to have spares or the right detector for the right site

AC500

Apr 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a 5x8DD coil is in the works.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

JRMan

Mar 20, 2013
West Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer,
White's Coinmaster 6000/Di Professional
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got the 5x8 and have not looked back. Great separation, Pinpointing within a couple of inches every time. Being smaller/lighter makes my arm much less tired. It should come with it stock as an option...

OP
OP
bzbadger

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys, I've been wondering if there was a serious difference and by the responses it seems there's enough to warrant the purchase

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of my customers won't put the big coil back on after using the 5x8. Great separation , good depth and lightweight to better balance the detector.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 5x8 is awesome. I've put the big one back on once since buying the 5x8, and it came off quick. Maybe if im in a very clean huge area it'll go back on, or if I absolutely need the little extra depth it might have, but I use the 5x8 all the time now. I really don't know if it'll ever come back off...

OP
OP
bzbadger

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok guys, another question. Where is the cheapest place to buy the 5x8 coil? I've seen it mainly around $127 and after buying my ATP, new headphones for it that price is a bit steep and im soon to go on vacation where I'd really like to use it. Where's the good price guys?

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain

maliaros

Jul 4, 2013
Larnaca
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP, Garrett EUROACE, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have huge problem on beach hunting, do you believe that the 5x8DD will solve my problems?

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wayne at Metaldetectingstuff.com or Bart at bigboyshobbies.net will both give great deals on them. Call them for their best prices

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What Sapper said, I deal with both and I should add I have had good luck with Colonial Metal Detecting too. Be sure to order the cover for it too. I had a REAL BAD experience with New England Metal Detectors, just a heads up on that one.

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
I have huge problem on beach hunting, do you believe that the 5x8DD will solve my problems?

I beach hunt just about every day down here in Florida, and after trying the 5x8 coil on my AT Pro, I won't be using anything else. It handles the sand quite well, even wet, heavily mineralized sand. A big drop in spurious signals, and easier to pinpoint small targets.

Nothing is wrong with the larger coil, just like the 5x8 better. And it's a lot easier on the arms and back!

Bill

frog21

Mar 5, 2013
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has anyone done an actual test that gave some data about the depth difference between the small and large DD coils? I would like to know what percentage of depth you lose when using the smaller coil. If I had a test garden I would do a test. Would an air test give any reliable data?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread