Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well it is like this my bud brought over his AT Pro and said check this thing out it will not pick up Gold of any type …. Unless he have's it set in zero with ..0 .. iron discrimination then it picks up gold…. no matter how we set it up in custom or coins … It will not sound off on gold now that is crazy to me … I told him to send it in and he did ,,,.He got it back and it works great … It picks up gold now….What was wrong with it .."i don't know '… I asked him and he said he did not know and really did not care for Garrett fixed it for him at no cost…They do have great service...

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
However it seems Garrett has a poorer quality control with their products. Granted bad parts get installed at one time or another from all manufactures and what counts is service after the sale. My AT Pro is working now but I can't trust it so it will gather dust on the wall.

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Sandman . I am going to get another one and hopes it works as it should … I have had air test on them that when set up right that on small gold rings and quarters measured 12 inches+

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
However it seems Garrett has a poorer quality control with their products. Granted bad parts get installed at one time or another from all manufactures and what counts is service after the sale. My AT Pro is working now but I can't trust it so it will gather dust on the wall.
Yes they all seem to have there problems now a days . I guess that why Garretts AT seems so bad or more than other brands …IS that they have sold so many more of them than any other brand has sold of one model..

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Keppy....i have heard of brand new detectors from just about all brands having problems. And also, like he said, you will hear more on the ATP just because of the shear number of machines they have sold. Sandman....sale that ATP to someone who will use it, because there are lots of people who will and would love to have it. Mine has set the bar very high for my other machines i own!

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine must be fine I just tested two 14k rings with the 5x8 and both air tested clear at 8 inches started falling off after that. They both had same VDI number too at 54.

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Keppy....i have heard of brand new detectors from just about all brands having problems. And also, like he said, you will hear more on the ATP just because of the shear number of machines they have sold. Sandman....sale that ATP to someone who will use it, because there are lots of people who will and would love to have it. Mine has set the bar very high for my other machines i own!

You tell him! DiggerinVA ... Sandman only listed the AT Pro on his list of machines in his profile that he thinks he has, so it gives him permission to rag on the AT Pro. If! In fact, Sandman does has an AT Pro, he should sell it, or keep his negitive comments to himself.

So Sandman, how are you doing? I see your in rare form, so you must be feeling good :)

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had the ATP for 2 yrs and like it very much // I traded in a DFX for it and don't find it gets any more than the DFX but its a hell of a lot easier to use. I still don't know if I'm gonna stay with the 5x8 or swap around per hunt ???? I like the 5x8 to swing but am I really loosing 1-2" depth ?? I have 3 Gold rings with it Perry

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my bud has one but I guess he is not a beeber kinda guy but a dry washer and bucket hauling guy .I showed him it works as close as my unit GBP . I dont like the extra knobs unlike my unit but it seem to pickup small stuff but not as small or it needed adjusting .

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I also found out that if you hunt in factory preset coins it will not pick up gold .. so if you run factory preset on coins check and see if it will pick up gold some will and some will not…….

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's because your notching out the gold. Run in pro zero at 31, crank the sensitivity up, ground balance and manually drop it by 5 or so. My ATP picks up small gold and chains better than my V3i.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
gfgh.jpg

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's all the crying for?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You tell him! DiggerinVA ... Sandman only listed the AT Pro on his list of machines in his profile that he thinks he has, so it gives him permission to rag on the AT Pro. If! In fact, Sandman does has an AT Pro, he should sell it, or keep his negitive comments to himself.

So Sandman, how are you doing? I see your in rare form, so you must be feeling good :)

I'm feeling fine, just having trouble walking with this knee till I get a new one this spring.

As for my ATP, I am on the 3rd. one and I have no confidence in it like I do my others. Still I don't believe in selling a detector to someone and have them rag on me for taking advantage of them by selling them a POS. I'd rather take it for a short boat ride to the deepest part of the lake than ruin what little reputation I think I have. But since I mainly water hunt in my old age, having a detector that ignores hot rocks is important to me and the ATP won't do that. Another Bill copy.jpg My latest detector in Oct was the Excal II delivered the day before my stroke. But I didn't lose any marbles, just Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Last edited:

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to hear you are doing better sandman. I love my pro I don't hunt saltwater beaches just river crossings, fields and old homesites. If I was a saltwater guy I would be looking for a multi freq or pi machine. My pro has found a lot of relics for me and I know how to use it. As with any machine you have to learn it.

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Mine must be fine I just tested two 14k rings with the 5x8 and both air tested clear at 8 inches started falling off after that. They both had same VDI number too at 54.
But did you test it in the factory coin preset ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm feeling fine, just having trouble walking with this knee till I get a new one this spring.

My latest detector in Oct was the Excal II delivered the day before my stroke. But I didn't lose any marbles, just Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Glad to see your stroke did not harm you .I had one about 9 years ago and it did no harm to me that i know … Just some time in the hospital … Good to see yours left you your old self ...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread