Garrett pro pointer issue and dealing with the manufacturer

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone says Garrett is great customer service...must only apply to those in the US. Have seen 4 pinpointers with the serial number worn off.....and the one that is malfunctioning they won,t replace or fix it....because the serial number is wore off... So...where does that leave me with my 2 pinpointers..what is the use of a warranty then???? Looks to me like they count on people using their pinpointers a few times a year only.
Hilda Bardales
Customer Service/Hobby Division
972-494-6151 Ext.725 | 1800-234-6151 | F: 972-494-1881
Give her a call she will take care of you. I've never had any problems with Garrett customer service at all. I just sent in my housing because it was cracked by battery my fault and they fixed for free.

Steve Moore
Director, Marketing Communications
Garrett Metal Detectors
1881 W. State St.
Garland, TX 75042
972.494.6155 x 762
Also try giving Steve a call he is a great guy and will help you also.

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you wear off the serial number? I have used mine for 1.5 years and it still is clearly legible?

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you wear off the serial number? I have used mine for 1.5 years and it still is clearly legible?

good qustion.... we used them on the saltwater beaches for about 60-70 days this winter.......3 are only 3 months olds and my oldest one is 1.5 years old. All have no serial number left.

Only way I could keep mine working was to dry them out at night by the heater...take battery and plugs out....but they still work.

EDs ...only 2-3 months old do not work hardly at all.

wvplug

Mar 2, 2014
Randolph County, WV
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pro pointer came back out, new coil, new battery. (And, I swear it looked brand new but apparently they just cleaned it.)

Total cost: 0.

The customer service was great and honored the warranty. These are quality people.

Patrick

That's great!! Unfortunately there aren't as many good companies out there as there used to be. Glad Garrett is one of the good ones.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good qustion.... we used them on the saltwater beaches for about 60-70 days this winter.......3 are only 3 months olds and my oldest one is 1.5 years old. All have no serial number left. Only way I could keep mine working was to dry them out at night by the heater...take battery and plugs out....but they still work. EDs ...only 2-3 months old do not work hardly at all.
the pro pointers are not waterproof I don't use mine in the water just dry land hunting. Sure you can wash the off but you have to cover speaker. The battery cap doesn't even have a rubber seal. There are ways to make them water proof but out of the box they are not.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the pro pointers are not waterproof I don't use mine in the water just dry land hunting. Sure you can wash the off but you have to cover speaker. The battery cap doesn't even have a rubber seal. There are ways to make them water proof but out of the box they are not.

Salt environment is corrosive to electronics, I've seen fishing reels ruined because they were not washed after use.

The ocean breeze has to eat detectors after a period of time.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Salt environment is corrosive to electronics, I've seen fishing reels ruined because they were not washed after use.

The ocean breeze has to eat detectors after a period of time.

True. You have to rinse all your equipment with fresh water, and especially electronics. Everything you use around salt water won't last as long. I don't think we can expect Garrett to cover that either.

I DO wish they would make the ProPointer waterproof though.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True. You have to rinse all your equipment with fresh water, and especially electronics. Everything you use around salt water won't last as long. I don't think we can expect Garrett to cover that either.

I DO wish they would make the ProPointer waterproof though.

Agreed. We have underwater detectors but no underwater pinpointers.

No sound or vibrations, a simple LED increasing in frequency as you get closer.

kristof.wanderer

Mar 23, 2014
Nacogdoches Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my experience they are great, and Hilda was extremely helpful and professional. They warranting out a machine that was damaged due to my own carelessness, even after I offered to pay for the repair (it was MY fault after all!) I explained what I did and was told to send it in for repair. Garrett has my loyalty!

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
In my experience they are great, and Hilda was extremely helpful and professional. They warranting out a machine that was damaged due to my own carelessness, even after I offered to pay for the repair (it was MY fault after all!) I explained what I did and was told to send it in for repair. Garrett has my loyalty!

I had the same experience. I was gonna be "Cool Technicial" and disassemble my perfectly working PPR to clean it. I screwed up the switch inside. I called Garretts and was upfront about the error and was comfortable about being charged for repairs, yet they fixed it for free. It's also cool that I live half an hour from Garretts in Garland ;-)

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aqua, I'm sure if you have your receipt from an authorized dealer, Garrett will take care of you. The exterior cap isn't the only place they have the serial number. It's inside the unit and also on the outside of the box.

Wayne

Wayne

Www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, This week my Garrett Pro pointer started going wonky.

It would false read and continue reading even if not pointed toward anything.

I sent an email to Garrett Metal Detectors to see what was up. They immediately offered to have it sent in for evaluation/repairs. I live about 40 miles away and opted to just drive to their facility.

The customer service rep came out and greeted me. She took the pro pointer back and then explained it would take about 30 minutes. In the meantime, she showed me the museum of artifacts in their lobby. Very cool stuff if you haven't seen it.

The pro pointer came back out, new coil, new battery. (And, I swear it looked brand new but apparently they just cleaned it.)

Total cost: 0.

The customer service was great and honored the warranty. These are quality people.

Patrick

Garrett Metal Detectors are some of the best in the business! Customer service is AMAZING!

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, it is. And the technician really likes the hobby; we got to talking about MDing and he actually sent me a copy of a neat article in the box with my detector.

How's that for customer service?

I bet you talked to Adam. He is a good guy!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions