Garrett pro pointer issue and dealing with the manufacturer

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, This week my Garrett Pro pointer started going wonky.

It would false read and continue reading even if not pointed toward anything.

I sent an email to Garrett Metal Detectors to see what was up. They immediately offered to have it sent in for evaluation/repairs. I live about 40 miles away and opted to just drive to their facility.

The customer service rep came out and greeted me. She took the pro pointer back and then explained it would take about 30 minutes. In the meantime, she showed me the museum of artifacts in their lobby. Very cool stuff if you haven't seen it.

The pro pointer came back out, new coil, new battery. (And, I swear it looked brand new but apparently they just cleaned it.)

Total cost: 0.

The customer service was great and honored the warranty. These are quality people.

Patrick

DmusiK1975

Apr 19, 2014

I sent an email to Garrett Metal Detectors to see what was up. They immediately offered to have it sent in for evaluation/repairs. I live about 40 miles away and opted to just drive to their facility.

The customer service rep came out and greeted me. She took the pro pointer back and then explained it would take about 30 minutes. In the meantime, she showed me the museum of artifacts in their lobby. Very cool stuff if you haven't seen it.

The pro pointer came back out, new coil, new battery. (And, I swear it looked brand new but apparently they just cleaned it.)

The customer service was great and honored the warranty. These are quality people.

Patrick

I totally agree Garrett's customer service is awesome. Last year I broke the detector stand on my ACE 350. It was three months past the warranty and my fault it broke anyway. I told them this and explained that I wanted to buy a replacement. The customer service rep said no way we will send you one free of charge. When it came it had a new arm cuff with it too.
They know how to keep customers. It worked with me anyway I bought a AT Pro a couple months ago!

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. They have earned my brand loyalty.

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Patrick

Not for nothing, but but mine does that to once in a while sometimes its the battery, I can only use Duracell in mine cause cheap ones move and lose connection .I had to send my atpro to Garrett in march for a crack in the front I sent it 4/6 they got it 4/10 I got it 4/16. I all so had a coil prob a year ago or so and they sent me a new one. Every one claims whites has the best cs , not a dig, just can't see how it could get any better.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
See Another Happy Customer! You Should Have taken Pictures of the museum of artifacts in their lobby. That what we did at Whites when we Went There!!! Now we own 2 whites and For Garrets

Metal Monkey

Apr 19, 2014
Greencastle, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine will do this also. It will just go off and keep ringing. I have to turn it off to get it to stop. Is this a normal thing?

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine will do this also. It will just go off and keep ringing. I have to turn it off to get it to stop. Is this a normal thing?

I had mine for almost a year and a half. It never acted up. I changed the batteries fairly frequently since I use it a lot.

It was really bad one day where it was detecting stuff consistently that wasn't there. Then it would just keep going off.

If changing the battery doesn't work, call Garrett or send them an email.

In my opinion, there are only subtle differences between brands but it is the company that makes the biggest difference. If a product is inferior and unsupported then that is worse. If a product is superior and supported when issues arise, then it is a quality company.

The bottom line is this... When I was pulling out of the Garrett parking lot, I was really pleased with the company and they became my preferred brand.

Patrick

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nope..definitely not normal..I had an Accu-find do the same exact thing, customer service told me to make sure there was an alkaline battery in it, and when that didn't work, they suggested two things: let it run for awhile and see if it calms down...or try a battery that was NOT new...hmm..oh well, neither worked so they replaced it free of charge. If it is fairly new, contact Garrett they will more than certainly take care of you..I have had great service from them. thx..good luck..ddf

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are awesome I have delt with them and Hilda will get you fixed rite up.

missedshed

Sep 17, 2012
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My pro pointer will go crazy at times also. Constant chirping as if I was near a coin. So far only happens when battery gets low. Change the battery has alway fixed that problem. Also some 9volts work better in them...depends on the bottom of the battery recess. To much and the battery wiggles just enough to make and lose contact causing it to act crazy also

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My pro pointer will go crazy at times also. Constant chirping as if I was near a coin. So far only happens when battery gets low. Change the battery has alway fixed that problem. Also some 9volts work better in them...depends on the bottom of the battery recess. To much and the battery wiggles just enough to make and lose contact causing it to act crazy also

My pointer has a small piece of foam glued to the lid pressing the battery, it's fell out before on me.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used to stack a pull tab on the top of my battery to take up the space when it acted up. No shortage of tabs when your out and need something quick. :)

Beachbrat

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garret AT-Pro w/Z link
Garret Pro Pointer AT w/Z link
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ace 350 vs Pro

I purchased an Ace 350 a month ago. Should I have purchased the AT Pro instead? And Why?

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to stack a pull tab on the top of my battery to take up the space when it acted up. No shortage of tabs when your out and need something quick. :)

I lost the pad because when I'm thru with a hunt, I remove the battery and put it back in upside down. The terminals got the rubber I guess. I take some black electrical tape and make a spacer to cushion the battery now.

Last edited:

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cousin ED sent one in....

Garrett says they won,t replace it but will selll him one for $110...it is only 3 months old..ya great service

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing to note- if you leave it turned on for a long time,-3-5 minutes, it will tend to drift off frequency and start to false. So it works better if you turn it off between targets. Some 9 volts are longer than others, the Duracells are a little shorter than some of the other batteries.

Wayne

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I purchased an Ace 350 a month ago. Should I have purchased the AT Pro instead? And Why?

The 350 is a good machine for the money - the AT Pro can ground balance out mineralization and go deeper in mineralized soil. It's also waterproof, so it can go places where you can't take the Ace 350.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 350 is a good machine for the money - the AT Pro can ground balance out mineralization and go deeper in mineralized soil. It's also waterproof, so it can go places where you can't take the Ace 350. Wayne www.metaldetectingstuff.com
yes I agree with Wayne I owned the 350 and it is a very capable machine. That DD coil separates great and gets deep. I wanted ground balance and waterproof that's why I bought the pro. The 350 will hang with a lot of machines out there and you can't beat Garrett for customer service.

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone says Garrett is great customer service...must only apply to those in the US.

Have seen 4 pinpointers with the serial number worn off.....and the one that is malfunctioning they won,t replace or fix it....because the serial number is wore off...

So...where does that leave me with my 2 pinpointers..what is the use of a warranty then????

Looks to me like they count on people using their pinpointers a few times a year only.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread