AT Pro 5 coil question

DiggerKep

Mar 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up the 5x8 coil and tried it out yesterday at a location that I have found lots of old coins at various depths using the stock coil and I had some frustrating results. With the stock coil I seemed to be able to pick up good signals and distinguish between nails and good targets. Last night however, all I seem to be able to hit was nails. Even with a good signal at 76-81 for example I only found nails in the hole. I ground balanced a number of times as the soil type changes there thinking I wasn't balanced right but that didn't seem to help. I was in pro custom mode with iron set at 40 and nothing eliminated above that. Full on the sensitivity too. Is there something I was doing wrong or a setting that I should be paying attention to that would help me? I have been using the at pro for a couple of months now and am still learning the ins and outs of it all as I know it takes time to have the detector feel like an extension of your arm but it was rather frustrating to hit this spot many times before and every time go away with silver, Indian heads or at least a few wheaties but left last night with a pouch full of iron. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments as I am always open to learning more to help every hunt be successful.

OP
OP
DiggerKep

DiggerKep

Mar 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry the subject should have read 5x8 not 5

Sheppie22

Jun 9, 2011
Milford, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac,
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Max
Minelab Equinox 800 and 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did you do a reset when you changed coils.

OP
OP
DiggerKep

DiggerKep

Mar 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I didn't. Guess that may have been the missing step. How do I go about doing that?
Thank you by the way for your quick response.

Sheppie22

Jun 9, 2011
Milford, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac,
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Max
Minelab Equinox 800 and 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hold down the power button for 5 seconds till you hear several beeps.

OP
OP
DiggerKep

DiggerKep

Mar 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will try that and see what difference that makes for me. Thanks again.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive dug more nails with my first 50 hours with the at pro then i did my first 3 years detecting...i dont think its your coil giving you the problems

OP
OP
DiggerKep

DiggerKep

Mar 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't seem to have too many problems with the stock coil so I am leaning more towards a reset like was suggested and also a learning curve with a new coil. I absolutely love the at pro and have had more good finds with it in a couple of months than I did with my previous detector (whites btw) in almost a full year. Thank you for your comment but I will be trying the reset and going forward with it from there. I can't comment on my own abilities but the at pro seems to me (and a number of other people I know who hunt with it) to be a very solid unit and able to compete with the best in a lot of situations.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the ace 350 for 3 years and maybe i dug 5 nails total in that time ....the at pro has been giving me nice sounding hits on bent ,rusty nails im sure ive dug 30 of them or more... i know on the 350 using sniper coil changed my vdi hits on pull tabs down to dead ringer nickels...and it turned nails into quarter/dime hits so i ditched the sniper coil

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive dug more nails with my first 50 hours with the at pro then i did my first 3 years detecting...i dont think its your coil giving you the problems

Im glad I'm not digging them....i would love to see "What" you think are good targets

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With the owners manual, all the videos, Iron Audio, and discrimination options, if your digging that many nails..........................that's on you not the machine!! Bottle caps and nails, and bashing Garrett...............you should be coin roll hunting

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See this is what happens when someone comes forward and points out the problems with a certain machine and there weakness every die hard in the bunch comes in and bashes the guy for calling out what he see's wrong ...you guys should be ashamed

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
See this is what happens when someone comes forward and points out the problems with a certain machine and there weakness every die hard in the bunch comes in and bashes the guy for calling out what he see's wrong ...you guys should be ashamed
That's fine, but its the same thing over and over, you have other machines listed, use them and move on, you don't have to use a Garrett,

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's fine, but its the same thing over and over, you have other machines listed, use them and move on, you don't have to use a Garrett,
So your not going to come hunting with me for the weekend?

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So your not going to come hunting with me for the weekend?
I would be glad to, I'm sure your a nice guy........................maybe your ideas are different from mine but..................

OP
OP
DiggerKep

DiggerKep

Mar 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had no intentions of starting any sort of war here...I appreciate any and all suggestions and as far as someone not preferring the at pro... Some of the guys I hunt with are diehard minelab and you couldn't pay them to use a garrett. Meanwhile there are those that use and love every minute of their garrett...point is finding the right detector for yourself is as unique as the right shoe... There are factors like available money for buying one, or getting into the hobby and having someone suggest a particular brand... However you end up with the unit you do. .. And whatever you feel comfortable and are successful with. .. without differences there wouldn't be a need for multiple makers. Personally I have tried a lower end whites and also a high end minelab and I had an opportunity to aquire this at pro and I am more than satisfied with it. I also like the minelab units but with some financial limitations garrett fits me great right now. I don't plan on ever getting rid of the at pro but may add another unit later on when I can afford it and it may or may not be a garrett. Thank you again for the suggestions and responses. It does show that this community is very sharing with information... And opinions... but that is what makes it such an enjoyable hobby.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry Kep,.............I have both the DD coils, as well as the super sniper, and the only one I use is the 5x8. Just check every thing fittings, ground balance, settings, etc. I have never had a problem with it, and do well separating trash from treasure. Good luck, HH

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had no intentions of starting any sort of war here...I appreciate any and all suggestions and as far as someone not preferring the at pro... Some of the guys I hunt with are diehard minelab and you couldn't pay them to use a garrett. Meanwhile there are those that use and love every minute of their garrett...point is finding the right detector for yourself is as unique as the right shoe... There are factors like available money for buying one, or getting into the hobby and having someone suggest a particular brand... However you end up with the unit you do. .. And whatever you feel comfortable and are successful with. .. without differences there wouldn't be a need for multiple makers. Personally I have tried a lower end whites and also a high end minelab and I had an opportunity to aquire this at pro and I am more than satisfied with it. I also like the minelab units but with some financial limitations garrett fits me great right now. I don't plan on ever getting rid of the at pro but may add another unit later on when I can afford it and it may or may not be a garrett. Thank you again for the suggestions and responses. It does show that this community is very sharing with information... And opinions... but that is what makes it such an enjoyable hobby.

You didnt start anything...Dustytrails always has a shitty thing to say about the machine....which is why he purposing posts his nonsense on these threads. He is just another troll on here

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread