Warning For Water Hunters At This Time Of Year

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Sometimes the laws of physics are at play without us even being aware of them. For instance, if you take a plastic sealed container, put a small pin hole in it and submerge it hot water, you will notice shortly that air bubbles will start to leak out under pressure, simply because the inside temp is warming up, causing a positive pressure.

Now reverse the conditions. Warm the plastic container up, and place it in cold water. What happens? The cooling of the temperature caused a low pressure or vacuum to appear inside the container, and in order to reach an equilibrium, it sucked in water.

Watch how hot your equipment is before you submerge it in cold water. A metal detector in the car trunk or in the car with the sun shining on it will cause it to get extremely hot. By putting it in the cold water, you are causing a tremendous amount of vacuum to be produced as the the inside of the coil, connector or electronics box tries to reach an equilibrium of pressure. Create enough vacuum in the coil, connector, splicing, electronics and you might get some leakage. Please......cool your equipment off before suddenly submerging it in cold water. This is true for all makes and models of detectors. Although leaks can occur for many other reasons, this should surely help.

20130729_water7.jpg

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Really good tip, John...many thanks.
Jim

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Very good info! Good to know. So I guess putting the air conditioner on in the car to cool off the detector before hitting the water would be a good idea.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the tip John,

Down here in Florida the air temp is 89. The Gulf water temp is 88.

The beer temp is 38.

We are careful to not immerse our coils into the beer.

Ahoy!

Screen Shot 2014-07-13 at 4.11.42 PM.png Screen Shot 2014-07-13 at 4.12.03 PM.png

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great tip John. I never leave my stuff in back of my SUV unless I'm going to hunt but it does get hot in there if you leave it in there. Awesome advice I haven't thought of.

Sharryn

Nov 27, 2013
S. Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Samson 32" T-handle,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for this tip John! I never would have given it much thought before you mentioned it. Could have saved someone a lot of $$$.

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the tip John,

Down here in Florida the air temp is 89. The Gulf water temp is 88.

The beer temp is 38.

We are careful to not immerse our coils into the beer.

Ahoy!

View attachment 1022408 View attachment 1022409

Same here :laughing7:

Elizabeth Bay Water Temperature and Wetsuit Guide (Tortola – BVI, British Virgin Islands)

Water Temperature

Today's Elizabeth Bay sea temperature is 28.6 °C.

Statistics for 14 Jul (1981–2005) – mean: 28.0 °C, range: 27.3 °C to 28.9 °C

Last edited:

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great tip John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread