Got my AT Pro a couple of weeks ago..

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought from Sears online..When I got it USPS the coil was not in the box..One phone call to Garrett, and it was taken care of in 2 days...Anyway I am already thinking on getting the smaller coil..I have used a 250 with a Sniper coil for so long, I am having a hell of a time pinpointing..Also there seems to be a lot of targets under the coil most of the time..Im sure I will get better, but a 6.5x9 Concentric or a 5x8 DD is sounding better, and better all the time...Do you guys think the smaller DD Coil would be better than the Concentric?? The soil is pretty mild here on the Gulf Coast of Texas.. (Houston area) I mainly just park hunt, with a few old home sites every now, and then... If so what are the reasons?? Thanks....

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the new at pro.I have had mine two months now.And i got the 5x8 a few weeks ago have not tried it yet.But most people i have talked to swear once you try it you will never go back to the stock coil.HH

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the new at pro.I have had mine two months now.And i got the 5x8 a few weeks ago have not tried it yet.But most people i have talked to swear once you try it you will never go back to the stock coil.HH

I used the stock coil the first couple years....You will notice a HUUUUGE Difference in the 5x8

it makes it so much easier digging in trashy area's...i dont think there is one person that would disagree

Good Luck! Look forward to seeing your finds!!

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
That sucks........having someone steal a coil from the box while the detector is in transition to your home. I hope USPS catches the thief and gets rid of him/her. On the positive side, you bought a great detector with excellent customer service! Good luck with your finds.

OP
OP
gallileo60

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey John long time no talk to.....You are so right...It was strange, I paid for it on a Sears Card, but it was sent from "clicktoshop.com" ..So there is no telling where the "lose" occurred..I was really disappointed, but Mary at Garrett was very nice, and got me fixed up...Well as soon as I save the $$'s I will go with the 5x8 DD since everyone seems to like it..Weight is also an issue as I get older...Thanks to all for the replies....

Is the agreement of most folks that the DD has advantages over the Concentric in most cases????

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Is the agreement of most folks that the DD has advantages over the Concentric in most cases????

The DD will punch deeper in mineralized soil. The 5 x 9 coil has gotten excellent revews from hunters using it in areas littered with lots of iron and/or other junk. That coil is my favorite for relic hunting in the woods.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 5x8 coil is a great coil in trashy sites and in the river or water. The stock coil is also a great coil too and will separate in trashy areas. I've pulled wheats out with stock coil in a very trashy site but the 5x8 is a lot better for this. The stock coil is good for less trashy open areas for good coverage and it gets great depth. In my test garden both coils hit the 9" dime but the stock coil is louder. The 5x8 still give a good repeatable tone that I would dig in the field. The smaller coil is a Indian head cent killer in the old home site fields I hunt. Good luck and give yourself time to learn the pro. It's a great detector.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If trouble pinpointing, use the heel or toe method (tip or tail of the coil) as shown in the free instructional videos on the Garrett website.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Garrett should offer a trade-in, or simply make the smaller coil standard and the larger coil available to those who want one.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett should offer a trade-in, or simply make the smaller coil standard and the larger coil available to those who want one.

Oh, Garrett knows what they are doing..And Im not bashing at all, I only have used Garretts....but in the end, its all about sales.

When I got my ace 250, i wish they would have came with the bigger coil, so, i bought one

Then I got the ATP...and wish it came with a smaller coil, so, I bought one

OP
OP
gallileo60

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got my 5x8 coil, and I love it....Have a Sniper on my 250 for up close work, and in trashy areas....I just could not use the big coil on the AT Pro, it was just too much for me..I never knew there was that much stuff in the ground.....I did however pull a 1966 penny out of my front yard, and I have detected that yard for YEARS (My Parents got it in 1964) Have used at least 5 different detectors there, so that does say something about the AT Pro...Will go out tomorrow, and give her a whirl with the new coil...Thanks to all for your help...HH...Tom

darmentle

Jul 7, 2014
Redding
Detector(s) used
ForsGold+ ,Garrett AT Pro,Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I also have the AT Pro is there a different coil more for prospecting gold?

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also have the AT Pro is there a different coil more for prospecting gold?

The AT Pro and AT Gold use the same coils. The AT Gold is a higher frequency machine which makes it more suitable to detect small gold.

darmentle

Jul 7, 2014
Redding
Detector(s) used
ForsGold+ ,Garrett AT Pro,Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i just ordered my 5X8 Coil be here Tuesday.

OP
OP
gallileo60

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like it, but I think I will get the Concentric also....

OP
OP
gallileo60

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm asking since you just got your AT Pro, What's the hardest thing to get used to with this machine?

For me pinpointing, and also im not used to all the signals that are picked up..The smaller coil has helped..It will just take a while to get used to it...

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For me pinpointing, and also im not used to all the signals that are picked up..The smaller coil has helped..It will just take a while to get used to it...

Throw a couple targets on some clean ground and practice a little. The AT pinpoints very good, you will pick it up fast.

OP
OP
gallileo60

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Give it time, you will get used to the sounds. The sniper coil is good around metal poles and metal fences.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Got a sniper on my 250, and love it for fences, and around poles, it really shines...Can go places my buddys with larger coils cant even get near....The AT Pro I have seems to go off more (chatter maybe) than any other detector I have ever used, im sure with time I will get used to it...The smaller coil has helped..Thanks for all the advice guys..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread