At pro depth issues

Eureka!

Mar 11, 2014
Northeast Coast USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO 5x8 Coil - VULCAN 360 Pinpointer -Lesche Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How do you get the t2 to get through the iron? I put two nails up on a plastic bowl and a quarter in the middle and couldnt pick it up. Tried it with the at pro too. Nothing but iron grunts.

Sometimes I wonder if anyone takes into account a persons hearing capability. I am sure that some hear or pickup on tones that others are not able to.

I know this because I have the problem. there are certain ring-tones on my cellphone that I can't hear if my phone is in another room whereas, my son, whom has pitch perfect hearing can hear the phone when I can't.

Have you ever wondered how some have success with finds on every hunt they go out on and others the opposite. One reason could be that ones hearing is more acute than others.

Last edited:

Padiggers

Dec 6, 2014
Cherry Tree, Pa
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro, Delta 4000, TC2X, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also believe that hearing is a factor. My wife and I hunted a local house many times this summer with the AT Pro and Duck. My wife pulled a silver GW quarter in the beginning but no silver for me. I ran the ATP in pro mode and believe I was missing the quieter high tones. Knowing I was pulling a lot of wheats I should get a few silvers. Hunting a small area beside the old house many times with the ATP and was sure it was hunted out. The Eurotek pulled two Mercs about 6" down and hit hard on them. ATP you need to listen for those faint high tones. I work around loud machines for quite sometime and to much of man to wear earplugs. My saying at work is I been married for over 30 years and I can block anything out. Now that I am into detecting I wish I wore the plugs. Oh I can hear my wife yelling to turn the TV down :)

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its amazing how many excuses people use for the AT masking targets. We are not talking about soft iffy signals. We are talking about a loud target signal on the same level as the nails (right on top of the ground) It cant hear the coin only the iron!
Guys... just try the test! its fast, easy and there will be no more excuses.
I tried it with the AT with the factory coil, factory concentric coil, factory 5x8 coil, NEL 5.5x9.5 Sharpshooter coil, NEL 15" Attack coin... they all could only hear the nails not the coin. Its not the coils, its the AT PRO!
Higgy... I've also relegated my ATP to river duty or pouring down rain detecting only.
Guys... I tried (5) different coils to try to make this work... I flew to Texas and toured the Garrett factory this summer, I sent Garrett video's of this masking problem with the AT PRO and they agreed it would only hear the nails. They said the AT was designed mostly for relic hunters.
So when you are detecting with an AT, if you do not hit the good target at just the right angle, or if there are a couple of iron targets close to the good target, you will not even know you missed the good target, you will walk right over the good target and not hear it no matter how good or bad you hearing is.
This is not a bash against the AT. I have one that I have spend hundreds of dollars on. This its just the facts of the AT's performance in heavy trash/iron areas...

Padiggers

Dec 6, 2014
Cherry Tree, Pa
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro, Delta 4000, TC2X, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At least I can say it wasn't all me. I would like to try the nail test but I sold the Pro last week. I liked the Teks better for me. I am going for the Omega or T2. We hunt a lot of old homes and foundations and they do have iron. I can tell you Iron was not a precious metal back then.

Canslaw

Greenie
Aug 12, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Current: XP Deus, Garrett pro pointer
Past: AT Pro, Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its amazing how many excuses people use for the AT masking targets. We are not talking about soft iffy signals. We are talking about a loud target signal on the same level as the nails (right on top of the ground) It cant hear the coin only the iron!
Guys... just try the test! its fast, easy and there will be no more excuses.
I tried it with the AT with the factory coil, factory concentric coil, factory 5x8 coil, NEL 5.5x9.5 Sharpshooter coil, NEL 15" Attack coin... they all could only hear the nails not the coin. Its not the coils, its the AT PRO!
Higgy... I've also relegated my ATP to river duty or pouring down rain detecting only.
Guys... I tried (5) different coils to try to make this work... I flew to Texas and toured the Garrett factory this summer, I sent Garrett video's of this masking problem with the AT PRO and they agreed it would only hear the nails. They said the AT was designed mostly for relic hunters.
So when you are detecting with an AT, if you do not hit the good target at just the right angle, or if there are a couple of iron targets close to the good target, you will not even know you missed the good target, you will walk right over the good target and not hear it no matter how good or bad you hearing is.
This is not a bash against the AT. I have one that I have spend hundreds of dollars on. This its just the facts of the AT's performance in heavy trash/iron areas...

True story. I dig with MasterJedi all the time. I even bought the concentric coil just for testing because garrett told us the concentric would pick out good signals within iron better than the dd.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have lots of old iron and think silver is near it will give a skippy kinda signal plus the hard iron signal. Dig them all. Hard to get past crusty iron halo sounds. They can be good signals. This also applies to my other machines.. The iron mask will over power a good signal. Watch one of Aqua chiggers Youtube last hunts he will show you how this works, He is in water but the signal applies to land. Also try your zero mode. Experiment and good luck.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tnmountains.... your really think an AT PRO user should dig 500+ rusty nails in every yard they detect to find the few good targets that are there? really? There is not enough time in a lifetime...
You guys need to truly buy a detector that will discriminate out the iron and find the good targets in all of the iron...
The AT just mutes the sound but still detects the nails... watch your VDI screen... it detects the nails, mutes the sound, gives you an VDI number, and masks the good targets... It needs to not detect the nails at all... true discrimination...
Your walking over all of the great targets...

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok MJ I tried the nail test as you described and I was able to get two tones..the iron and the coin. Here may be why I am able..i use the 5x8 and because the AT is a hearing type machine I use the grey ghost headphones which has really helped in hunting. It seems regular phones don't give the signals that I now am able to hear. Trash targets I hear a faint click before and after each swing or a grunt before and after so I don't dig. I showed fellow club members the difference of using grey ghosts and crap phones. We had a huge club hunt yesterday with minelabs of all kind, fishers, deus and ATs and nobody stood out above the rest except for a cz70 which is a decent machine and known to be pretty hot.

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have an AT PRO.... PRO guys are not going to like this but, All that iron masks the silver/good targets. You cant hear the good stuff only the iron. Just try this and you will see. Put a silver dime on the ground, lay a rusty iron nail 2" above the coin and another rusty nail 2" below the coin. All items right on flat ground. Now line up your DD coil where its in line with the nails and coin and you will see you cannot even hear the coin, only the nails. So if you are in a heavy iron trashy area the AT PRO will not go deep or find the most good targets. Before you guys throw rocks at this response, just try the short test and you will see...
Just saying...

I respectfully disagree with you on this. Out of all the machines I have owned, the AT Pro is the master at picking up coins in the same area as iron. I came to this conclusion while putting over 250 hours on this machine. I have lost count how many times I have dug a plug only to find a nail or small piece of iron then after retrieving and rescanning the hole,found a coin just a little deeper. and vice versa, there have been times when I have dug a coin and rescanned the hole only to find a piece of iron still in there. this is using the stock DD coil and NOT the 5X8 coil.
The at pros strong point is being able to pick out the good stuff amid the trash. And I have a small jar filled with silver dimes that I have picked out of some pretty iron infested areas. My success is attributed to using my ears and forgetting the VID numbers. Just listening for that high tone amongst all the other noise is what will find you the deep silver.
On the other points I do agree, if the unit is not getting any depth on a quarter during an air test, it is in need of repair. Regardless Garrett will take care of you, they always do.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
You may want to try iron audio .... I use it all the time & find coins in iron infested areas all day long ...... Take some time learn your detector ... The AT Pro will find silver in nail infested areas!
kayden … It has been over a year since you have been here on Tnet …. You must come in and check us out every now and then...

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Choppadude...
Just try the test...
Insted if a small jar of silver dimes you would have 3 large jars filled with silver dimes...
The test will change your mind...
Its just the facts.... sorry...
Remember..I have an AT PRO too with multiple coils...

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Masterjedi try iron audio & you will see what I mean

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks kayden...
I have used iron audio... you hear the iron....ok....the iron still masks the good targets :(

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live and hunt in a mountain area.lots of gold mining and logging history.Many areas are so heavy with black sand that all of my previous machines were unable to deal with it.My at pro works great in these super trashy,mineralised areas.The trick is that you must hunt an area from two directions,good advice for any machine.I just did the rusty nail test and only perfect alignment between coil and targets would cause masking.It also caused masking on my old gtax1250,my wifes f2,and my buddies mxt.

ground balancing is a skill as important as any other.Improper setting can cut depth nearly in half.I rebalance often and run the sens.at max.Pro zero with 35-40 on iron discrim.I only use iron audio if I suspect multi targets cause I dont like that much chatter.I have pulled many coins out of super trashy mining camps and can attest that the at pro is a worthy machine.We simply NEVER hunt a trashy area in one direction only.
Last year four of us did many tests out in the yard...at pro,f75,mxt,gtax1250...we could find ways to mask every machine if we tried hard enough.
Keeping the at pro for now,I have faith that I am hoovering the goodies that can be had.

CMan1

Nov 21, 2014
Treasure Coast 1715 Florida
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Few weeks using AT PRO in sand Fl. I have no complaint's. I'm able to distinguish what the item is by sound and number. I don't like using head set so my wife can hear tones. Penny's react shallow and deep. Even Garrett Pinpointer has a hard time zeroing in. Our jar of coins and junk are getting filled only kid rings a few earings. Wife did find old belt buckle nice design this am. We spend a few hours a day beach and land.
Yesterday I realized why I was getting so much chatter cell tower and dish's within 200 feet.
It takes time to learn unit to filter hits.
I'm contemplating getting an Excalibur II as well.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried the same test well over a year ago with my at pro and could not hear the dime on the ground in heavy iron unless I swung over it just rite. So I kept doing it and found it was being masked but the iron grunt and noise was different with the coin removed. This is a really iron infested site with rust in the dirt also. I tried it in house on floor boards and had to get over it just rite for the coin to sound off a bit but it sounded diff with coin removed. This has helped me find a lot of IH cents in this trashy field so the at pro does hear it you just have to learn the sounds. Might be to much work for some to learn the machine I don't know but you can't tell me other detectors don't act same way. Well tonite I tried my at gold in house and had iron grunt all around silver dime but sounded off with a high pitch over the dime so when I get feeling better (have strep) I'm going to try it in that same field. So far I'm thinking the gold does better at separating in iron infested sites. I may be wrong but my initial test is very promising. I still like the at pro and have found a lot of great things with it and most were in iron infested sites with the smaller coil.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I respectfully disagree with you on this. Out of all the machines I have owned, the AT Pro is the master at picking up coins in the same area as iron. I came to this conclusion while putting over 250 hours on this machine. I have lost count how many times I have dug a plug only to find a nail or small piece of iron then after retrieving and rescanning the hole,found a coin just a little deeper. and vice versa, there have been times when I have dug a coin and rescanned the hole only to find a piece of iron still in there. this is using the stock DD coil and NOT the 5X8 coil.
The at pros strong point is being able to pick out the good stuff amid the trash. And I have a small jar filled with silver dimes that I have picked out of some pretty iron infested areas. My success is attributed to using my ears and forgetting the VID numbers. Just listening for that high tone amongst all the other noise is what will find you the deep silver.
On the other points I do agree, if the unit is not getting any depth on a quarter during an air test, it is in need of repair. Regardless Garrett will take care of you, they always do.
You are right...the AT pro will pick coins up right beside iron...he is talking about dong a test with two nails placed in exactly a certain way...I wont loose any sleep over his startling test...the AT pro is outstanding at fishing coins out of iron areas.

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My AT pro air tests a dime at 9 inches and a quarter at 10...that's a repeatable signal with sens on 6 of 8 bars...with max sens its deeper but I usually hunt with 6 or 7 bars sens, so I set it at 6 to air test.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread